By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Slim on the way? Steve Balmer talk

Twistedpixel said:
dahuman said:
I question their ability to manufacture a stable enough version of a smaller 360 given the current standing on the different failures that the 360 is facing, it should be interesting, though I'm most likely not going to buy a 360 again personally.

Do you question Sony's ability with the slim given theres now a shortage for unknown reasons and the fact that almost all launch models are doomed?

Yes, but I don't have to deal with XBL on that thing which is a plus, I have no issues with the 360 itself tbh, it's XBL that I hate. The most durable and compact console is still Nintendo built and they have the best overall quality imo and I trust them the most out of the big 3.

Around the Network
loves2splooge said:
dahuman said:
I question their ability to manufacture a stable enough version of a smaller 360 given the current standing on the different failures that the 360 is facing, it should be interesting, though I'm most likely not going to buy a 360 again personally.

The new chips Sony put in the PS3 slim made the console more energy efficient and cooler running than the Phat PS3. If Microsoft also went with a more energy efficient and cooler running chipset, they would be able to accomplish the same thing with a 360 Slim.

They could always shrink the dye on different chips yes, but then they'd come with smaller coolers as well, I'd rather them shrink the chips inside and keep the same case and put the power supply in the box at the same time so there is no big ass brick on the side with a quiet but efficient fan tunneling to the side, that, would be nice.

They haven't used the 65nm single die Valhalla chipset yet... guess it's for the slim?

shuraiya said:
Is there any reason for Microsoft to release a slim 360? The slim PS3 was pretty much released out of necessity to cut costs and basically shed their previous image. Public perception of the PS brand wasn't as great as it could have been back then. They've even gone as far as to replace the old logo and redesign the PS3 cases. It was partial do over. Microsoft on the other hand has a great public image especially among gamers. What possible benefit could be gained from a slim model. I'm sure they can cut costs without a complete redesign. They're better off with a simple price cut.

Their reputation isn't really that great among consumers thanks to RROD... a "new" 360 could be seen as something of a reset there.  Timing it with Natal could work well with mainstream consumers too, who're used the tiny, quiet, dependable Wii.  Plus you'll likely have good portion of hardcore gamers upgrading, and artificially inflating your userbase figures for the PR wars.

dahuman said:

Did you question Sony's ability to manufacture a reliable console after both the PS1 (overheating and DRE) and PS2 (DRE) were unreliable. The PS3 is Sony's first reliable console.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
dahuman said:

Did you question Sony's ability to manufacture a reliable console after both the PS1 (overheating and DRE) and PS2 (DRE) were unreliable. The PS3 is Sony's first reliable console.

1st run PSP-1000s also had the disc ejecting issue (and Sony's shitty dead pixel policy).  Sony actually had class action lawsuits against them for PS1 and PS2 though, *everyone* I knew with a pre-PSone PS1 had them stop playing FMV, had to turn them sideways and eventually they died anyway.  That happened with my 96 PS1, though my launch PS2 luckily never had any issues before I sold it and upgraded to a slim.

Darc Requiem said:
dahuman said:

That's why I didn't own those consoles, I generally went Nintendo, and my Dreamcast still works to this day as well, I completely skipped last gen purchases and only played at friends' places when it came to last gen consoles(or on emulators) since I've been a PC gamer for a long long time and PC gaming was crazy in those years.

I waited on a PS3 purchase for about a year and then switched to a slim when it came out which actually prevented the whole feb 29th thing for me ^^b , I also waited about 1-2 years until I got my Wii, and I got very lucky with my 360 since it's worked for a good 3 years without puking in my face before I sold it last year(because I stopped paying for XBL, not because I thought 360 was bad in any form, well, besides XBL, wish I still had it for Bayonetta though, fuck,) I'm a lurk in the dark consumer with paitence pretty much.

So yeah, see how smart I am? selling my 360 after 3 years is up? I was only using it for JRPG for the most part anyways after XBL stopped, and nothing new and exciting has been out since awhile ago. =P

Twistedpixel said:
joeorc said:
Twistedpixel said:
joeorc said:
Twistedpixel said:

No its really quite simple.

Every 60GB PS3s solder joints will crack.

Every 60GB PS3s heat spread compound will go dry and brittle and lose effectiveness.

Every 60GB PS3 which is used will die.

no your trying to use a small sample to make it seem like it represent's the status as a whole

that's what is simple:

like I said your are reaching

No, what im saying is that almost every PS3 60GB launch model is going to die within a timespan which is within the expected lifespan of the product (6 years). Most 40GBs will die on the same terms as well. This is due to the solder used and the heat compound between the heatsink and the chip being inadequate.

no what you stated was this:

"Early PS3s in the mid term (3-4 years) are about as unreliable as the Xbox 360s. The 60GBs will be very rare by the time the next PS3 launches. It takes them longer to fail but pretty much every single one is doomed due to the heat and the new solder.

which

is not true at all.

because if it did, there would have been way more failure rated PS3's and the new's media would have ran a story on it, just like the Bios chip time state software failure.

The media doesn't report everything, especially if everyone who gets a broken console considers themselves to be a freak case.

dos'nt  report  everything?

where have you been anytime there has been negative new's on the xbox360 or the playstation 3 the media has been jumping on the story's right away. one only has to look at the BIOS time state software failure, within 24 hour's it was one of the highest  story's on the new's.

but after the fix, it went quiet. why because good new's anymore is not new's.

please now it's like people would'nt report their system breaking down because their a freak case..right,please

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

360 slim + Natal + Halo:Reach bundle = Win.

jarrod said:
They haven't used the 65nm single die Valhalla chipset yet... guess it's for the slim?

At a minimum, MS will have a single 45 nm die.  I think it will probably be a 32 nm die.

What they should do is increase the clock speed of all parts 20-40%, increase the eDRAM to enough for a single 720P frame to fit, and bump the ram to 1GB.  Taken together that should give a pretty good boost to the system performance with essentially no cost.