By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Slim on the way? Steve Balmer talk

Turns out Steve Ballmer's talk up at the University of Washington delivered even more saucy info than we were initially led to believe. In a transcript of the subsequent Q&A session, Steve is shown to have delivered the following statement on the topic of large-screen televisions and Microsoft's related hardware strategy:

For that big screen device ... there's no diversity. You get exactly the Xboxes that we build for you. We may have more form factors in the future that are designed for various price points and options, but we think it's going to [be] important.

It's safe to assume new form factors point to a smaller rather than larger 360 chassis, though the price points and further options he mentions are wide open for speculation. It wouldn't be unreasonable to forecast Microsoft pushing out its own slimmed-down console to match up with Sony's PS3 Slim, but we also shouldn't discount the idea of an Xbox 360 with Project Natal hardware integrated into its shell. In other words, we really don't know what Steve has going on under that shiny dome of his, we just hope it's as exciting as he makes it sound.

engadget

I highlighted the relevant quote. With the new Forza 3/Halo ODST bundle, MSFT maybe clearing out the old 360 hardware.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network

so....

XBox 360 Slim + NATAL in fall is a possibility

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

He said form factors... I wonder if this means the Xbox TV is going to come into fruition as well?

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

That would be great. A X360Slim.... hope it releases

I question their ability to manufacture a stable enough version of a smaller 360 given the current standing on the different failures that the 360 is facing, it should be interesting, though I'm most likely not going to buy a 360 again personally.

Around the Network

considering it took 4 years to figure out how to stop the 360s from overheating, is it really a good idea to try and make them smaller?

man a forza 3/halo odst package is a pretty sweet idea...almost tempted for an xbox now

http://card.mmos.com/psn/profile/st/r/Strofan7/card.png%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D">

If they make a 360 slim, I will definitely buy it day one.

If they would want to release 360Slim in autumn, they should have a prototype by now. It would be very risky to sell a product without testing it for long enough to make sure is 100% reliable.

Ldn.se said:
If they would want to release 360Slim in autumn, they should have a prototype by now. It would be very risky to sell a product without testing it for long enough to make sure is 100% reliable.

That's how it ideally would work. With the 360, they've shown they're willing to take that gamble.