By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Slim on the way? Steve Balmer talk

Twistedpixel said:
papflesje said:
Twistedpixel said:
dahuman said:
I question their ability to manufacture a stable enough version of a smaller 360 given the current standing on the different failures that the 360 is facing, it should be interesting, though I'm most likely not going to buy a 360 again personally.

Do you question Sony's ability with the slim given theres now a shortage for unknown reasons and the fact that almost all launch models are doomed?

Uhm what? :s

Early PS3s in the mid term (3-4 years) are about as unreliable as the Xbox 360s. The 60GBs will be very rare by the time the next PS3 launches. It takes them longer to fail but pretty much every single one is doomed due to the heat and the new solder.

Love to see a link about this though. Never heard about that.

Around the Network
Twistedpixel said:
papflesje said:
Twistedpixel said:
dahuman said:
I question their ability to manufacture a stable enough version of a smaller 360 given the current standing on the different failures that the 360 is facing, it should be interesting, though I'm most likely not going to buy a 360 again personally.

Do you question Sony's ability with the slim given theres now a shortage for unknown reasons and the fact that almost all launch models are doomed?

Uhm what? :s

Early PS3s in the mid term (3-4 years) are about as unreliable as the Xbox 360s. The 60GBs will be very rare by the time the next PS3 launches. It takes them longer to fail but pretty much every single one is doomed due to the heat and the new solder.

that's not even close to being true.

the first 11 million xbox360 system's had a hardware fault problem in it's design.

"Since it's multiple things, I hate to even point at design," Robbie Bach says about the defects, claiming that they're proud of their partners, and this issue is Microsoft's responsibility to fix. When asked if this is something they've been able to engineer out of the system, Bach's response is a firm "yes." 

The PS3's failure rate is in no way shape of form even remotely like it was for  the xbox360's failure rate. it's not that way today and there is not any sign to indicate it would be that way in the future

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

I'm not sure how the 360 will get slimmer. Lower cooling requirement due to new chips can only go so far. The area of the board is pretty ideal already and would not see a noticeable size difference in the shrinkage. Power supply could stand some shrinkage though.

Ldn.se said:
If they would want to release 360Slim in autumn, they should have a prototype by now. It would be very risky to sell a product without testing it for long enough to make sure is 100% reliable.

what product will ever be 100% reliable? even the mighty wii is not 100% reliable

SKEEZER AND NINTENDO FAN GIRL ARE MY NEMESIS

YES TO BEER

hduser said:
I'm not sure how the 360 will get slimmer. Lower cooling requirement due to new chips can only go so far. The area of the board is pretty ideal already and would not see a noticeable size difference in the shrinkage. Power supply could stand some shrinkage though.

it may end up like what the % may be near 30 to 40% $ smaller, but It may not be able to be shrunk anymore below that size for quite some time. due to heat issue's

here is the reduction size of the PS3

33% in size and 36% lighter.

would be the most likely reduct for even the xbox360 also, Heat issue's are still going to be a problem even for smaller chip'sesp. when you have 3 of them each running at 3.2 GHz in the xbox360.

those generate quite a bit of heat.

with passive heat pipe cooling and heat sink cooling and with airflow that can work wonder's.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

Would Love to see that but i Think MS Wants to put all their Attention on Natal and See how that turns out.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

hduser said:

They could do the same as PS3. PS3 slim and phat has almost identical area of the board but slim is just thinner and lighter. Actually, PS3 slim is bigger than phat in 1 dimension (slim has bigger depth than phat). Still, it seemed to work for PS3 so why wouldn't it work for 360?

Wouldn't have nearly as much of an effect as the PS3 slim had on sales. Still probably a good idea, if they aren't planning on releasing the 720 for awhile still.

Untamoi said:
hduser said:

They could do the same as PS3. PS3 slim and phat has almost identical area of the board but slim is just thinner and lighter. Actually, PS3 slim is bigger than phat in 1 dimension (slim has bigger depth than phat). Still, it seemed to work for PS3 so why wouldn't it work for 360?

I am sure , IT would work as long as the processor went to 45nm scale, and the GPU shrink's last time I heard they went still to 65nm scale

Xbox 360 "Jasper" May Follow "Falcon"

Next console iteration will shrink GPU to 65nm.
that was the jasper reduction:
so the xbox360 is getting near I would imagine to the 45nm scale for it's CPU soon . next at that point it most likely Microsoft would be able to reduce it's over all size of the xbox360

I AM BOLO

ps:

I guess we will all have to wait and see, It sounds like maybe he is talking about the next gen xbox, but we will see.