By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo announces Mistwalker developed The Last Story!

all i am hoping is that this game will be as good as the old style Final Fantasies, it has the potential to be in my opinion.

i just hope it will be some form of turnbased combat and none of that action/realtime combat

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Vitality Sensor.

Call it a hunch.

Going off that "The Last Story & Nintendo Device" trademark I see. ;)

I can definitely see the resemblance to FF here guys, and the music is so well done, can't wait for more info

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

jarrod said:
Viper1 said:
Vitality Sensor.

Call it a hunch.

I forgot about that.

The idea of an RPG using the VS seems very weird...

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

The art style looks similar to the early 2D FF games. That's very promising.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
jarrod said:
darthdevidem01 said:
jarrod said:
Demotruk said:
jammy2211 said:

Yeah I get that it's the same guy, I'm not sure, I just think it's a bit shameful for them to be trying to make a Final Fantasy. Like sure, you can have your influences and stuff, but this - based of what we know so far - feels like it's trying to actually build it's appeal off of being a Final Fantasy game.

I'm sure I'll love it and stuff though, and be able to look past all that. To me though the JRPG genre needs reinvigorating and new ideas, whereas this just seems to be the sort of thing that's made it stale in the west.

I'll wait for Gameplay anyway, It'll no doubt be an awesome game if their track record if anything to go off. It's just not the direction I personally want to see the big name JRPG's folk going in.

They're getting stale in the East too. How many series are outperforming their past? Dragon Quest is, but most of them are floundering.

Just Dragon Quest (DS), Pokemon (DS), Monster Hunter (PSP/Wii), Phantasy Star Online (PSP/DS) and Mario RPGs (DS/Wii) are outperforming last gen afaik.  We do have some promising new IPs doing really well too though, like Inazuma Eleven and (soon) Nunokuni.

Though then again, we've seen a LOT of RPGs take major to minor tumbles.  Stuff like Star Ocean (360), Tales (lol, everywhere), Rockman RPGs (DS), Suikoden (DS), Megaten (DS), Disgaea (PS3), Ys (PSP) and Final Fantasy (PS3).  And many, many more new RPGs have been relative nonstarters (Blue Dragon, ASH, Jeanne D'Arc, TWEWY, Last Remnant, Folklore, Soma Bringer, Lost Odyssey, etc, etc).  JRPGs aren't exactly in amazing shape today.

Apart from FF, KH & DQ when have they been in great shape?

please name me million selling JRPG's last gen apart from FF, DQ, KH

Yes I know Tales of symphonia & SO3 got there,  but thats all.

Lost oddesy's sales are fantastic for a JRPG, if lets lost oddesy was multiplat it could be well over 1 million by now, way way over it.

We need a first TRUE multiplat JRPG (not timed exclusivity stuff) on PS360 to decide their fate, we get two of those in March, FFXIII & ROF.

I'm talking about just Japan.  Pokemon always hit multiple millions there and Megaman Battle Network 4 almost did a million.

In terms of million selling (YSO shipments) RPG series each gen in Japan so far...

• Final Fantasy (SFC) 3 games
  • Dragon Quest (SFC) 4 games
  • Seiken Densetsu (SFC) 1 game
  • Romancing SaGa (SFC) 2 games
  • Chrono Trigger (SFC) 1 game
  • Pocket Monsters (GB) 2 games
  • Super Mario RPG (SFC) 1 game
  • Arc the Lad (PS) 1 game
  • Final Fantasy (PS) 3 games
  • Final Fantasy Tactics (PS) 1 game
  • Chocobo Fushigino Dungeon (PS) 1 game
  • SaGa Frontier (PS) 1 game
  • Pocket Monsters (GBC) 2 games
  • Dragon Quest Monsters (GBC) 2 games
  • Yu-Gi-OH! Duel Monsters (GBC) 1 game
  • Dragon Quest (PS) 2 games

...this gen's definitely been better for the higher end sellers, but it's the midline and niche RPGs that have fallen off.  It's either hit it big, and strike out. :/

+ SaGa (GB; Final Fantasy Legends)
and Parasite Eve (PS).

By both VGC numbers and SE's.

edit: Sorry, didn't see the SaGa all the way up. Figured it was together with other SFC/GB games.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Son1x said:

+ SaGa (GB; Final Fantasy Legends)
and Parasite Eve (PS).

By both VGC numbers and SE's.

edit: Sorry, didn't see the SaGa all the way up. Figured it was together with other SFC/GB games.

Ack!  I did miss PE. :(

Also, 5 SFC DQ games did a million, not 4.  I really should've double checked earlier.

So what if it is a VERY similar style, traditional, Final Fantasy-type of JRPG - Square obviously isn't interested in making that kind of game for the Wii.

And they were GREAT and extremely popular games...

So who better than a team-up of the original creator of Final Fantasy and Nintendo to step up to the plate?

Demotruk said:
jarrod said:
Viper1 said:
Vitality Sensor.

Call it a hunch.

I forgot about that.

The idea of an RPG using the VS seems very weird...

Not if the VS is used "fell" the emotion of the player , i think this can be Killer app for the VS...

For example the game kills a character and based on how much do you like him while you are watching the scene ? than he kills hin or why not power up your power when you get angry ? if even me have a bunch of ideas of how to use VS in a rpg imagine the guys at nintendo/mistwalk ...i just dreaming with this game now

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

Ah, i really need to get a wii this year, this may very well be the final fantasy for wii. even the way the title is displayed. lets see how this plays out.