By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo announces Mistwalker developed The Last Story!

jarrod said:
Demotruk said:
jammy2211 said:

Yeah I get that it's the same guy, I'm not sure, I just think it's a bit shameful for them to be trying to make a Final Fantasy. Like sure, you can have your influences and stuff, but this - based of what we know so far - feels like it's trying to actually build it's appeal off of being a Final Fantasy game.

I'm sure I'll love it and stuff though, and be able to look past all that. To me though the JRPG genre needs reinvigorating and new ideas, whereas this just seems to be the sort of thing that's made it stale in the west.

I'll wait for Gameplay anyway, It'll no doubt be an awesome game if their track record if anything to go off. It's just not the direction I personally want to see the big name JRPG's folk going in.

They're getting stale in the East too. How many series are outperforming their past? Dragon Quest is, but most of them are floundering.

Just Dragon Quest (DS), Pokemon (DS), Monster Hunter (PSP/Wii), Phantasy Star Online (PSP/DS) and Mario RPGs (DS/Wii) are outperforming last gen afaik.  We do have some promising new IPs doing really well too though, like Inazuma Eleven and (soon) Nunokuni.

Though then again, we've seen a LOT of RPGs take major to minor tumbles.  Stuff like Star Ocean (360), Tales (lol, everywhere), Rockman RPGs (DS), Suikoden (DS), Megaten (DS), Disgaea (PS3), Ys (PSP) and Final Fantasy (PS3).  And many, many more new RPGs have been relative nonstarters (Blue Dragon, ASH, Jeanne D'Arc, TWEWY, Last Remnant, Folklore, Soma Bringer, Lost Odyssey, etc, etc).  JRPGs aren't exactly in amazing shape today.

Apart from FF, KH & DQ when have they been in great shape?

please name me million selling JRPG's last gen apart from FF, DQ, KH

Yes I know Tales of symphonia & SO3 got there,  but thats all.

Lost oddesy's sales are fantastic for a JRPG, if lets lost oddesy was multiplat it could be well over 1 million by now, way way over it.

We need a first TRUE multiplat JRPG (not timed exclusivity stuff) on PS360 to decide their fate, we get two of those in March, FFXIII & ROF.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

You named five in your post, Darth..

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Nintendo is always hiding something....

Along with FF's, DQ's, KH's we have Paper Mario (GC) and Dark Cloud.
And since we are also mentioning handhelds, Mario & Luigi and Golden Sun as well.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Demotruk said:
You named five in your post, Darth..

so?

out of those 5, 3 have already done 1 million this gen

leaving 2 that did 1 million last gen

We will easily get 2 this gen, The Last Story itself is a possibility, Resonance of Fate & a few more.

I am just not seeing this huge JRPG decline people are talking about, there may be a small decline, but there is no HUGE decline

Around the Network
Son1x said:
Along with FF's, DQ's, KH's we have Paper Mario (GB) and Dark Cloud.
And since we are also mentioning handhelds, Mario & Luigi and Golden Sun as well.

mario & luigi did a million this gen too, paper mario has too

Golden Sun DS could do a million when it launches this year

Leaving Dark Cloud, TOs, SO3.....3 basically

There is no massive decline & JRPG's aren't dying like westerners suggest

Ther is a decline, but I blame that on FFXIII for taking so long, FF's usually set up the JRPG console base in the west, this one has taken too long to come.

Because Paper Mario (Wii) is a JRPG...

Anyway, rather than JRPG's selling low(which I never said anyway), my problem is that there are too few of them.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Great news for Wii owners. So is Other M launching this summer.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

An AAA effort from Mistwalker should mean that this will be very special.

I am somewhat skeptical - the first four hours of Lost Odyssey were boring enough that I haven't been able to get past them - but....

Well, it's a Nintendo trademark, right? If Nintendo's involved, I have faith that they can help make the game more immediately and viscerally appealing.

Darth, a decline isn't measured by reaching an arbitrary benchmark like you've suggested.

Final Fantasy is selling less this gen than last.
Tales games are selling much less this gen than last.
Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean and many others are selling less this gen than last.

Some by very large margins.

Now, Monster Hunter is growing and other handheld rpg's are also showing growth, but personally I think MH borders more on an action game than a typical jRPG. But considering how much the Japanese market has been declining, and most of the positives in the Japanese market are expanded audience games like Wii Fit, Wii Sports, etc. it's inevitable that the jRPG genre is declining to counter that, being probably the biggest genre in Japan within the last two or three generations.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.