By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo announces Mistwalker developed The Last Story!

Kasz216 said:
jammy2211 said:
Looks like a great game and good news for Nintendo, but...

Could this be a more shameless attempt at ripping off Final Fantasy? I mean the logo is IDENTICAL, the world last is a synonym for final and fantasy a synonym for story.

God I just hope the actual game isn't so, similiar... the last thing the JRPG genre needs is another of the 'big players' living up to it's cliches.

Can you really call it a ripoff considering it's being made by the guy who invented Final Fantasy?

Well yeah, I suppose you can.

Seems more like he's trying to "Get back his IP" more then anything else.

It's why I'm a bit skeptical honestly.

Not for the reasons you say so much as... well... you never see the "next great" thing promoted as being just like something else... even if they are the same.

Yeah I get that it's the same guy, I'm not sure, I just think it's a bit shameful for them to be trying to make a Final Fantasy. Like sure, you can have your influences and stuff, but this - based of what we know so far - feels like it's trying to actually build it's appeal off of being a Final Fantasy game.

I'm sure I'll love it and stuff though, and be able to look past all that. To me though the JRPG genre needs reinvigorating and new ideas, whereas this just seems to be the sort of thing that's made it stale in the west.

I'll wait for Gameplay anyway, It'll no doubt be an awesome game if their track record if anything to go off. It's just not the direction I personally want to see the big name JRPG's folk going in.

Around the Network
jammy2211 said:

Yeah I get that it's the same guy, I'm not sure, I just think it's a bit shameful for them to be trying to make a Final Fantasy. Like sure, you can have your influences and stuff, but this - based of what we know so far - feels like it's trying to actually build it's appeal off of being a Final Fantasy game.

I'm sure I'll love it and stuff though, and be able to look past all that. To me though the JRPG genre needs reinvigorating and new ideas, whereas this just seems to be the sort of thing that's made it stale in the west.

I'll wait for Gameplay anyway, It'll no doubt be an awesome game if their track record if anything to go off. It's just not the direction I personally want to see the big name JRPG's folk going in.

They're getting stale in the East too. How many series are outperforming their past? Dragon Quest is, but most of them are floundering.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Well, if Sakaguchi's smart, he'll make TLS something of a throwback to the 16bit FFs in terms of mood and themes (similar to FFIX). That's a sizable fanbase that's pretty much unserved by modern FF, so there could be a good opening to draw people in given Sagakuchi's reputation and Nintendo's marketing muscle.

I never really understood the Mistwalker ripping off Final Fantasy point of view. Sakaguchi created Final Fantasy. He can't rip himself off. It reminds of the Bayonetta is ripping of DMC criticism. It flawed for the same reason. When you create a game for a company they own the IP even though they had jack shit to do with the creative process.

Demotruk said:
jammy2211 said:

They're getting stale in the East too. How many series are outperforming their past? Dragon Quest is, but most of them are floundering.

The east to me felt more like saturation, the DS has tons of the things. I'm sure people are getting bored too over there though.

Around the Network

OMFG YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!

THIS IS SAKAGUCHI'S BIG PROJECT!!

THIS WILL BE EPIC & ITS ON WII SO I CAN PLAY IT!

THE MUSIC IS AMAZINGGGGGGGGGG!!!

MY 2ND MOST AWAITED GAME NOW!

{oh and this deserves a full CAPS post}

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Demotruk said:
jammy2211 said:

Just Dragon Quest (DS), Pokemon (DS), Monster Hunter (PSP/Wii), Phantasy Star Online (PSP/DS) and Mario RPGs (DS/Wii) are outperforming last gen afaik.  We do have some promising new IPs doing really well too though, like Inazuma Eleven and (soon) Nunokuni.

Though then again, we've seen a LOT of RPGs take major to minor tumbles.  Stuff like Star Ocean (360), Tales (lol, everywhere), Rockman RPGs (DS), Suikoden (DS), Megaten (DS), Disgaea (PS3), Ys (PSP) and Final Fantasy (PS3).  And many, many more new RPGs have been relative nonstarters (Blue Dragon, ASH, Jeanne D'Arc, TWEWY, Last Remnant, Folklore, Soma Bringer, Lost Odyssey, etc, etc).  JRPGs aren't exactly in amazing shape today.

Glad that I have a Wii wooohooooo!!

Currently Playing: Devil Survivor 2 (NDS)

AWESOMENESS, a new jrpg to look forward too. The music on the site sounds FANTASTIC!!!!

jammy2211 said:
Kasz216 said:
jammy2211 said:
Looks like a great game and good news for Nintendo, but...

Could this be a more shameless attempt at ripping off Final Fantasy? I mean the logo is IDENTICAL, the world last is a synonym for final and fantasy a synonym for story.

God I just hope the actual game isn't so, similiar... the last thing the JRPG genre needs is another of the 'big players' living up to it's cliches.

Can you really call it a ripoff considering it's being made by the guy who invented Final Fantasy?

Well yeah, I suppose you can.

Seems more like he's trying to "Get back his IP" more then anything else.

It's why I'm a bit skeptical honestly.

Not for the reasons you say so much as... well... you never see the "next great" thing promoted as being just like something else... even if they are the same.

I suppose that depends on how you feel about intellectual property and whether it should belong to the creator or the company.

Personally, I think it's shameful that the system is set up so that creators have to sign away their intellectual property to corporations.  Both have important roles and legally both should hold joint custody.