By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo announces Mistwalker developed The Last Story!

Vitality Sensor.

Call it a hunch.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Vitality Sensor.

Call it a hunch.

Eh?

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Hmm unless there is a Microsoft funded project also developing along with this, this is not going to make alot of expecting fans happy that its been a Wii game in development all along.

But congrats to the Wii users for a new RPG game.

I'm just saying...

Demotruk said:
Viper1 said:
Vitality Sensor.

Call it a hunch.

Eh?

Nintendo wants a big game to release the Vitality Sensor with, right?

I have a feeling this is it. Or at the very least will use it..

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Vitality Sensor.

Call it a hunch.

...Ooooo.

That should be pretty interesting, though I don't think this would be the big Vitality Sensor-pushing game.

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
Darth, a decline isn't measured by reaching an arbitrary benchmark like you've suggested.

Final Fantasy is selling less this gen than last.
Tales games are selling much less this gen than last.
Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean and many others are selling less this gen than last.

Some by very large margins.

Now, Monster Hunter is growing and other handheld rpg's are also showing growth, but personally I think MH borders more on an action game than a typical jRPG. But considering how much the Japanese market has been declining, and most of the positives in the Japanese market are expanded audience games like Wii Fit, Wii Sports, etc. it's inevitable that the jRPG genre is declining to counter that, being probably the biggest genre in Japan within the last two or three generations.

1. We can't say whether FF is selling less this gen until FF13 figures are in.

2. We can't say KH is selling less this gen until KH3 figures are in

3. Star Ocean is selling less, but we all know why, if it launched as a Ps360 multiplat the story could have been different.

Tales games seem to be the ones with declines, TOG & TOV have proven this.

Demon's Souls, Lost Oddesy & Valkyria Chronicles on the other hand have done fantastic.

JRPG sales just seem bad as lots of WRPG's do over a million now. But there are also lots that don't.

BTw I never said there wasn't a decline, but there is no MASSIVE decline at all.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Viper1 said:

Nintendo wants a big game to release the Vitality Sensor with, right?

I have a feeling this is it. Or at the very least will use it..

Well, presumably it would be the secondary game for VS. The primary game being Wii Relax.

I can't see how this makes sense with VS though, so you must know something we don't...

darthdevidem01 said:

1. We can't say whether FF is selling less this gen until FF13 figures are in.

2. We can't say KH is selling less this gen until KH3 figures are in

3. Star Ocean is selling less, but we all know why, if it launched as a Ps360 multiplat the story could have been different.

Tales games seem to be the ones with declines, TOG & TOV have proven this.

Demon's Souls, Lost Oddesy & Valkyria Chronicles on the other hand have done fantastic.

JRPG sales just seem bad as lots of WRPG's do over a million now. But there are also lots that don't.

BTw I never said there wasn't a decline, but there is no MASSIVE decline at all.

I'm not about to go count up all jRPG sales this gen and last, but I will ask this: With the rise of the expanded market, and the overall flat and later decline of the Japanese market, if the jRPG market is not in much decline, just where is the decline in the Japanese market coming from?

I hope this game is sucessful so that Nintendo and Mistwalker work together again in the future. I mean, I loved Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, but the one thing that Mistwalker needs more than anything is a secure publisher for their games going forward, and I think it's evident that Microsoft won't be that publisher.

darthdevidem01 said:
jarrod said:
Demotruk said:
jammy2211 said:

Yeah I get that it's the same guy, I'm not sure, I just think it's a bit shameful for them to be trying to make a Final Fantasy. Like sure, you can have your influences and stuff, but this - based of what we know so far - feels like it's trying to actually build it's appeal off of being a Final Fantasy game.

I'm sure I'll love it and stuff though, and be able to look past all that. To me though the JRPG genre needs reinvigorating and new ideas, whereas this just seems to be the sort of thing that's made it stale in the west.

I'll wait for Gameplay anyway, It'll no doubt be an awesome game if their track record if anything to go off. It's just not the direction I personally want to see the big name JRPG's folk going in.

They're getting stale in the East too. How many series are outperforming their past? Dragon Quest is, but most of them are floundering.

Just Dragon Quest (DS), Pokemon (DS), Monster Hunter (PSP/Wii), Phantasy Star Online (PSP/DS) and Mario RPGs (DS/Wii) are outperforming last gen afaik.  We do have some promising new IPs doing really well too though, like Inazuma Eleven and (soon) Nunokuni.

Though then again, we've seen a LOT of RPGs take major to minor tumbles.  Stuff like Star Ocean (360), Tales (lol, everywhere), Rockman RPGs (DS), Suikoden (DS), Megaten (DS), Disgaea (PS3), Ys (PSP) and Final Fantasy (PS3).  And many, many more new RPGs have been relative nonstarters (Blue Dragon, ASH, Jeanne D'Arc, TWEWY, Last Remnant, Folklore, Soma Bringer, Lost Odyssey, etc, etc).  JRPGs aren't exactly in amazing shape today.

Apart from FF, KH & DQ when have they been in great shape?

please name me million selling JRPG's last gen apart from FF, DQ, KH

Yes I know Tales of symphonia & SO3 got there,  but thats all.

Lost oddesy's sales are fantastic for a JRPG, if lets lost oddesy was multiplat it could be well over 1 million by now, way way over it.

We need a first TRUE multiplat JRPG (not timed exclusivity stuff) on PS360 to decide their fate, we get two of those in March, FFXIII & ROF.

I'm talking about just Japan.  Pokemon always hit multiple millions there and Megaman Battle Network 4 almost did a million.

In terms of million selling (YSO shipments) RPG series each gen in Japan so far...

• Dragon Quest (FC) 3 games
  • Zelda no Densetsu (FDS) 1 game
  • SaGa (GB) 1 game
  • Final Fantasy (FC) 1 game
  • Final Fantasy (SFC) 3 games
  • Dragon Quest (SFC) 5 games
  • Seiken Densetsu (SFC) 1 game
  • Romancing SaGa (SFC) 2 games
  • Chrono Trigger (SFC) 1 game
  • Pocket Monsters (GB) 2 games
  • Super Mario RPG (SFC) 1 game
  • Yu-Gi-OH! Duel Monsters (GB) 1 game
  • Arc the Lad (PS) 1 game
  • Final Fantasy (PS) 3 games
  • Final Fantasy Tactics (PS) 1 game
  • Chocobo Fushigino Dungeon (PS) 1 game
  • SaGa Frontier (PS) 1 game
  • Parasite Eve (PS) 1 game
  • Pocket Monsters (GBC) 2 games
  • Dragon Quest Monsters (GBC) 2 games
  • Yu-Gi-OH! Duel Monsters (GBC) 2 gamea
  • Dragon Quest (PS) 2 games
  • Final Fantasy (PS2) 3 games
  • Pocket Monsters (GBA) 2 games
  • Kingdom Hearts (PS2) 2 games
  • Dragon Quest (PS2) 2 games
  • Final Fantasy (DS/PS3) 2 games
  • Pocket Monsters (DS) 3 games
  • Dragon Quest Monsters (DS) 1 game
  • Monster Hunter (PSP/Wii) 4 games
  • Pokemon Fushigino Dungeon (DS) 1 game
  • Dragon Quest (DS) 3 games
  • Inazuma Eleven (DS) 1 game

...and soon you can probably add

• Pocket Monsters (DS) 1 more game
  • Dragon Quest Monsters (DS) 1 more game
  • Dragon Quest (DS/Wii) 2 more games
  • God Eater (PSP) 1 game
  • Nunokuni (DS) 1 game

...this gen's definitely been better for the higher end sellers, but it's the midline and niche RPGs that have fallen off.  It's either hit it big, and strike out. :/