By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo announces Mistwalker developed The Last Story!

Wyrdness said:
@ Jarrod

If someone else other then Nintendo was involved I'm sure we would of heard of it when the game was announced much like with the three way collaboration with Other M, as far as things go Nintendo revealed the project as Nintendo/MW they didn't do this 3 years ago with ASH and weren't as bothered with it as TLS, also I stand by my stance on IS, they do many things but they're still a bigger studio then Monolith, they can easily assemble a team to work on an rpg, most of Nintendo's studios and teams have people who handle engines/tools so whats your point, EAD alone have 200 programmers. Galaxy 2 is a second 3d Mario on the same platform show me where this was done before, Other M signals the start of large scale direct collaborations with third parties on the core installments of their main franchises it's like SE contracting someone to help developed FF with them, Namco and Capcom never worked with any Nintendo team when they did Starfox and a hand held Zelda game these would not have happened before and support the instance of a change. Only Square have really worked directly with Nintendo on Mario rpg and mind you it was Sakaguchi who lead that joint team.

If they can work directly with Team Ninja then I don't see how it's so hard to see them working directly with MW considering that Nintendo have worked directly with Sakaguchi before, Nintendo are adapting their approach, the only way I can see Iwata boasting so confidently about the game like he has done is if Nintendo themselves have had a hand in it's development.

Again, we didn't find out about Racjin being involved with ASH until after the game was in players hands and they were watching the end credits.  I'd actually go the other way logically, if Nintendo was making this game inhouse, I think they'd have specifically announced THAT like they made sure to with SPD1 being in control of Other M from the outset...

Galaxy 2 being the 2nd 3D Mario to release on the same platform doesn't mean it never been planned before.  Miyamoto talked repeated about Super Mario 64 2 in the late 1990s and at one point press even saw a demo 64DD unit with Mario and Luigi running around the same space in co-op linked systems.  Hell, if Nintendo had gone through with their original Wii plans (remote upgrade for GameCube) Galaxy 1 would've been a GC game.  And besides, we'd had same platform 2D Mario sequels from EAD repeatedly before, and EAD's other big series (Zelda) always has had a engine reused 3D sequel per console.  Galaxy 2 happening isn't that surprising, at least not if you have a decent grasp of Nintendo's internal workings and history.

Nintendo's first "Project M" style collab was Star Fox on SNES in 1993.  EAD handled design, Argonaut handled development.  It's basically the same setup as SPD/Team Ninja on Other M actually.  And Nintendo didn't work on Mario RPG directly btw, they just supervised like they did with all their externally done Mario projects.

Also, Capcom was working on the Oracle games well before Iwata took over, it was during Yamauchi's reign... hell, that was 2.5 handheld hardware generations ago, this isn't really a good example of recent "change".  Besides, it wasn't even new then... Nintendo first really broke this sort of ground when they let Rare handle Donkey Kong back in 1994...

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Demotruk said:
'RPG' is a very wide genre though. He's mentioned it being real time on his blog, and that comment above does give me the impression that you're going to be giving orders, what other way is there to interpret it?

See FF12... Mass Effect... KOTOR...

I didn't say giving orders was something that never happened before in RPG's, although even those would not fit the statement. The battles are hardly 'large scale' in those games.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Demotruk said:
Kasz216 said:
Demotruk said:
'RPG' is a very wide genre though. He's mentioned it being real time on his blog, and that comment above does give me the impression that you're going to be giving orders, what other way is there to interpret it?

I didn't say giving orders was something that never happened before in RPG's, although even those would not fit the statement. The battles are hardly 'large scale' in those games.

Ok.  Those games... then just add twice as much stuff on screen.

....Say, what's Intelligent Systems been doing lately?

HMMMMMM

Kasz216 said:
Demotruk said:
Kasz216 said:
Demotruk said:

Ok.  Those games... then just add twice as much stuff on screen.

Ew, no, their systems of giving orders would become more unmanageable with every additional character. Well, I don't know about KOTOR since I haven't played it, but I wouldn't want to be giving real time orders to many characters in Mass Effect or FFXII.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:

HMMMMMM

Many Wiiware and DSiware games.

Demotruk said:
Khuutra said:

HMMMMMM

Many Wiiware and DSiware games.

Well shit

To the large-scale battle thing: I think the battle system may nont work lik we're thinking. It could work in real time, but with options being more toward crowd control than fighting individual opponents.

Khuutra said:

HMMMMMM

Mainly WiiWare/DSiWare stuff (DQ Wars, Chotto Card Hero, Eco Shooter, etc), though they also had Wario Ware DIY last year.   There's been a rumored 2nd Fire Emblem for Wii since last year too.  

i want it :)

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.