By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - capcom not happy with darkside chronicles sales, mh3 + hardcore games talk

Hey Capcom...

You want success?

Why don't you, yaknow... Make Resident Evil 5... For the Wii?

Around the Network
Lolcislaw said:
Kasz216 said:
morenoingrato said:
they're basically saying:
PS360 will win in 2010

Not so much.

They're saying it's easiser for them to work on the PS360.

You just need to largely make better looking PS2 games.

It's more expensive that way... but Capcom can't figure out what Wii gamers want.  So may as well go for the high expense, low reward products, since Capcom has more then enough IP's to play the rising development cost game.

I think Capcom knows what Wii gamers want, cause i dont really think that they are much different then those on HD systems, but they wont deliver those products on the Wii (everyone knows that games like RE , SF etc. etc. would sell as well as on the HD consoles) instead they are releasing titles like DC or Spyborgs too fund their other projects.

At least they got MH III and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom which look like they have as much production value like HD consoles.

It annoys me when companies complain, without even seriously trying.

You think Capcom knows what Wii gamers want, yet refuses to release it, even though if it did it would lead to far greater profits then their HD offerins?

That seems illogical.

Those projects may be what Wii owners want... but i'd argue that either way Capcom doesn't know that... as otherwise there is no explination for not executing such titles.  I mean they have plenty of "Wii friendly" titles that instead often end up on the digital download offerings.

Kasz216 said:
Lolcislaw said:
Kasz216 said:
morenoingrato said:
PS360 will win in 2010

Not so much.

It's more expensive that way... but Capcom can't figure out what Wii gamers want.  So may as well go for the high expense, low reward products, since Capcom has more then enough IP's to play the rising development cost game.

I think Capcom knows what Wii gamers want, cause i dont really think that they are much different then those on HD systems, but they wont deliver those products on the Wii (everyone knows that games like RE , SF etc. etc. would sell as well as on the HD consoles) instead they are releasing titles like DC or Spyborgs too fund their other projects.

At least they got MH III and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom which look like they have as much production value like HD consoles.

You think Capcom knows what Wii gamers want, yet refuses to release it, even though if it did it would lead to far greater profits then their HD offerins?

That seems illogical.

Those projects may be what Wii owners want... but i'd argue that either way Capcom doesn't know that... as otherwise there is no explination for not executing such titles.  I mean they have plenty of "Wii friendly" titles that instead often end up on the digital download offerings.

I think looking at Resident Evil 4 Wii edition, capcom knows it well. They have guaranteed sales on HD consoles for their big "badass" titles, and they can deliver a certain vision they have for them, push the graphics etc. etc. , its their reasonable decision.

Plus development of RE 5, SF IV started probably long before people realised that Wii will be such a runaway success, and after investing a lot of money in the HD development, they will try to get that money back on that market.

Gamerace said:
I agree. The core gamers on Wii have moved on to HD where all the Core games are. They may have a Wii but they'll buy NSMBW over RE:DC for Wii. Why wouldn't they? They have RE5.

I do believe '09 will be the death of 'core' games on Wii. None have sold impressive numbers and it's just easier for publishers to focus on the core market on HD where their core games sell rather than try to adapt them to a relatively unknown expanded audience on Wii.

To create mass success on Wii will require a radically new way of thinking for most publishers and developers. I just hope some are up to the challenge, because HD development is a losing game.

I disagree with this.  I don't buy the idea that so- called 'core' gamers have left the Wii audience.  Name one third party 'core' (I hate that term, by the way) title that was released only on the Wii that would have sold well on the HD twins. 

I can't think of one either.

This is the old blame the audience tatic (and usually done by companies before they go out of business).  If third parties would release good games on the Wii they will sell.  Resident Evil 4, despite being a port of an old game, sold over a million copies.  What I find interesting is that on-rail shooters are now considered 'core' titles.  Really?  Port over Resident Evil 5 with RE4 controls and I would bet that the game would get over a million sales easily.  Want Dead Space to sell on the Wii?  Create an actual third person shooter, remove the ridiculous amount of cut scenes, and it would have gotten many more sales (sorry, nobody bought the 'directed first person experience' lie EA tried shoveling). 

Nintendo has released some so-called core games, and all of them have done well (not system mover well, but well enough that sequels are coming or being talked about).  Punch-Out is nearing 1 million, Metroid Prime 3 sold a million, Galaxy has sold 8 million. 

Let's look at other good 'core' games that have released on the Wii:  COD:WaW has sold over a million, and COD:MWR is on track to sell a million. 

Sorry, but this idea that the Wii is 'only for families', and that 'core gamers have moved onto the HD twins' is complete BS that third parties have come up with to not take the Wii seriously (why when Resident Evil 4 and RE:DC both sold over a million that only more Rail shooters were made?-- Why didn't some third party also make more third person shooters?  It is because third parties do not want to take the Wii seriously.  It has nothing to do with 'the audience'-- the audience has already shown that they want games like Resident Evil 4!).  If Red Steel 2 and MH3 both end up being good titles, and they bomb on the Wii, then I might start to believe this argument. 

Lolcislaw said:
Kasz216 said:
Lolcislaw said:
Kasz216 said:
morenoingrato said:
PS360 will win in 2010

Not so much.

That seems illogical.

I think looking at Resident Evil 4 Wii edition, capcom knows it well. They have guaranteed sales on HD consoles for their big "badass" titles, and they can deliver a certain vision they have for them, push the graphics etc. etc. , its their reasonable decision.

Why could you simply put the team developing Darkshide chronicles and have them develop a Resident Evil like game?  Or one of their other many IPs.

Around the Network

It is no secret that people bought Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles to show Capcom that there IS a market for the Resident Evil series on Wii. Some believed that buying the game would encourage Capcom to make a new Resdient Evil game in the mainline series for Wii. I argued that the message being sent is that rail shooters sell well and that is what Capcom will continue to make.

I was correct. Capcom was not testing the market so the message sent and the message received were different. Wii owners tried by buying that game up, so when Capcom releases another rail shooter...

...backlash was imminent.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

KylieDog said:
HD Market is flooded with FPS games yet they manage to keep selling fine.

This "Too many rail shooters" excuse does not cut it.

Maybe wii owners wants to be flooded with FPS games and not On-rails?

-Edit-

And I agree with Lolcislaw. FPS games are much more popular and appeal to more players. Bad comparison

Davey1983 said:
Gamerace said:
I agree. The core gamers on Wii have moved on to HD where all the Core games are. They may have a Wii but they'll buy NSMBW over RE:DC for Wii. Why wouldn't they? They have RE5.

I do believe '09 will be the death of 'core' games on Wii. None have sold impressive numbers and it's just easier for publishers to focus on the core market on HD where their core games sell rather than try to adapt them to a relatively unknown expanded audience on Wii.

To create mass success on Wii will require a radically new way of thinking for most publishers and developers. I just hope some are up to the challenge, because HD development is a losing game.

I disagree with this.  I don't buy the idea that so- called 'core' gamers have left the Wii audience.  Name one third party 'core' (I hate that term, by the way) title that was released only on the Wii that would have sold well on the HD twins. 

I can't think of one either.

This is the old blame the audience tatic (and usually done by companies before they go out of business).  If third parties would release good games on the Wii they will sell.  Resident Evil 4, despite being a port of an old game, sold over a million copies.  What I find interesting is that on-rail shooters are now considered 'core' titles.  Really?  Port over Resident Evil 5 with RE4 controls and I would bet that the game would get over a million sales easily.  Want Dead Space to sell on the Wii?  Create an actual third person shooter, remove the ridiculous amount of cut scenes, and it would have gotten many more sales (sorry, nobody bought the 'directed first person experience' lie EA tried shoveling). 

Nintendo has released some so-called core games, and all of them have done well (not system mover well, but well enough that sequels are coming or being talked about).  Punch-Out is nearing 1 million, Metroid Prime 3 sold a million, Galaxy has sold 8 million. 

Let's look at other good 'core' games that have released on the Wii:  COD:WaW has sold over a million, and COD:MWR is on track to sell a million. 

Sorry, but this idea that the Wii is 'only for families', and that 'core gamers have moved onto the HD twins' is complete BS that third parties have come up with to not take the Wii seriously (why when Resident Evil 4 and RE:DC both sold over a million that only more Rail shooters were made?-- Why didn't some third party also make more third person shooters?  It is because third parties do not want to take the Wii seriously.  It has nothing to do with 'the audience'-- the audience has already shown that they want games like Resident Evil 4!).  If Red Steel 2 and MH3 both end up being good titles, and they bomb on the Wii, then I might start to believe this argument. 

To elaborate here, no one in their right mind would tell me that Darkside Chronicles, as it is packaged today, with prettier (HD) graphics, would be lighting up the sales chart on 360/PS3. Because it is not what the majority of gamers want. Imagine if after Wii gets Monster Hunter Tri, the HD twins get Monster Hunter Tri: Swords (a total rail shooter rip-off like Dragon Quest: Swords). Does anyone in here think the game would set the sales charts aflame? Fuck no.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Jesus Christ Capcom, how dumb are you guys? how many fucking times have we said we want a Proper Resident Evil game not some gay spin off or a port?.. how many times we said we want a Street Fighter game? a million fucking times.. now give us those fucking games,

Might want to point out this is just Capcom France so it is to be assumed they are only talking about French sales. However France is a very strong region for Wii and DS. But this game received little advertising and the guy mentioned that when talking about other big successes on the Wii during the timeframe.

As for his 2010 outlook, I don't think that is a very positive one from a company who has a couple of big releases for the system. Not good PR to be talking like that. I await corrections from Capcom themselves.