By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour : Insomniac going multiplateform

i thought this would happen, i predict resistance 3 will be there last sony exclusive game, there not selling terribly well year after it seems despite good reviews the sales go down. acit was last in the series and sony owns the ip so it seems like thats fin. a shame really r:fom and ratchet:ToD were two early successes for the ps3. that helped in its defense of the "no-games" argument early on.i also dont see sucker punch staying exclusive by the end of this gen either.

"even a dead god still dreams"

Around the Network
coolestguyever said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
coolestguyever said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
coolestguyever said:

OT: I have no problem with Insomniac going multiplat, even though that would suck for us PS3 fanboys. Just please don't do a survival horror game, the market is becoming oversaturated with survival horror games.

Really?  RE5... which barely fits the bill... Dead Space, and Silent Hill HC/SM... not really sure that counts as saturation... 

Left 4 Dead, Dead rising (somewhat), Condemned; as well as the ones you named and there's more low budget ones.

LOL @ those two, hardly survival horror, Left 4 Dead is just about how much it kicks ass to kill hundreds of zombies.  

One I did forget is Fear 2, but none of this says saturation.

Okay well I don't know what the exact number is for what's considered oversaturated; but developers are definitely starting to over-do this genre. All the games we just listed are all in the last couple years and there will certainly be more of these type of games to come soon.

As a fan of true survival horror games I would have to agree that the genre is not oversaturated(maybe just not that popular right now? Or maybe it needs FFVII for the genre to reignite it). Those games listed are not true survival horror games they just have elements of horror games. Resident Evil 5 isn't really even true survival Horror anymore, it's borderline at best. A good AAA true Survival Horror game would actually be refreshing for the market. Dead Space was the closest thing to that and it got overlooked for some reason. I guess it just didn't stand out enough.

RVDondaPC said:
coolestguyever said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

LOL @ those two, hardly survival horror, Left 4 Dead is just about how much it kicks ass to kill hundreds of zombies.  

Okay well I don't know what the exact number is for what's considered oversaturated; but developers are definitely starting to over-do this genre. All the games we just listed are all in the last couple years and there will certainly be more of these type of games to come soon.

As a fan of true survival horror games I would have to agree that the genre is not oversaturated(maybe just not that popular right now? Or maybe it needs FFVII for the genre to reignite it). Those games listed are not true survival horror games they just have elements of horror games. Resident Evil 5 isn't really even true survival Horror anymore, it's borderline at best. A good AAA true Survival Horror game would actually be refreshing for the market. Dead Space was the closest thing to that and it got overlooked for some reason. I guess it just didn't stand out enough.

Thats how I feel exactly, Silent Hill SM is my favorite this gen taking over RE4 for all time as well, it should get a better look than people are giving it but the Silent Hill market is just consistent because of its fanbase. 

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

kowenicki said:
unless they get some new ideas and implement them well I dont think going multiplat will help them one bit.

Are you joking, I know lots of people who have an Xbox who would not mind seeing R&C and Resistance on there.

Insomniac make good games, so they should just fit in fine doing multiplatform titles, lets face it none of the so called exclusives on the XBox are exactly mindblowingly good (most AAA games are multiplatform).

I think they are brave for making a move like this, they could risk alienating a lot of fans here, lets hope they give the equal development treatment, that way they will stay in our good books, lol

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

kowenicki said:
jneul said:
kowenicki said:
unless they get some new ideas and implement them well I dont think going multiplat will help them one bit.

Are you joking, I know lots of people who have an Xbox who would not mind seeing R&C and Resistance on there.

Insomniac make good games, so they should just fit in fine doing multiplatform titles, lets face it none of the so called exclusives on the XBox are exactly mindblowingly good (most AAA games are multiplatform).

I think they are brave for making a move like this, they could risk alienating a lot of fans here, lets hope they give the equal development treatment, that way they will stay in our good books, lol

no im not joking... res 1 was ok, res 2 was poor. R&C is ok but they need to step up.

The latest R&C is more of the same stuff with new weapons admittedly, but still I am enjoying it so much, and the story is so funny, I still think it is the best R&C I have played on yet, why change a formula when it's so good lol.

As for R2 I agree with you there, it just felt like there was too much focus on the 60 players online part, and not enough focus on the main game, R1 is much better and harder for some strange reason.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network

You can scrap the idea of Resistance and Ratchet series appearing on xbox cause it aint gonna happen as Sony owns them.

Going multiplatform would probably kill their MO of releasing a game every year given the increased development effort and possibility for one or both consoles slowing them down. Furthermore they probably haven't got a clue as to how to reap a high performing engine out of the Xbox 360 as they have never touched the architecture. It'd take too much time to get up to speed and I relate this back to the first point that it would kill their ability to release a game a year.

Tease.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
RVDondaPC said:
coolestguyever said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

Thats how I feel exactly, Silent Hill SM is my favorite this gen taking over RE4 for all time as well, it should get a better look than people are giving it but the Silent Hill market is just consistent because of its fanbase. 

I like how RV Donda put it. I think its just a genre that's really popular right now, I guess I didn't really mean oversaturated.

Squilliam said:
Going multiplatform would probably kill their MO of releasing a game every year given the increased development effort and possibility for one or both consoles slowing them down. Furthermore they probably haven't got a clue as to how to reap a high performing engine out of the Xbox 360 as they have never touched the architecture. It'd take too much time to get up to speed and I relate this back to the first point that it would kill their ability to release a game a year.

That's a good point.  It's easy to forget their basic approach is different from most developers getting a game out every 2 to 3 years.  They release one a year like clockwork, which is clearly going to be easier working with one engine tuned to one platform.

It's also interesting to note their total sales since releasing Resistance 1 are 8.25 million units.  While, Resistance 1 apart, their titles seem to be selling approx 1.5 to 1.7 million each, the costs of their titles releasing 1 a year has got to be much less that the 2 to 3 years spent on most big titles.  8.25 million units isn't too shabby since Resistance was released in November 2006.

I suspect many who look at each title individually think their performance sucks, but that's basically over 8 million units (plus an unknown number of PSN downloads as well for Booty) in just over 3 years - and the latest ratchet game looks set to sell plenty more units as it's early in its lifecycle next to the previous one.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
Squilliam said:

That's a good point.  It's easy to forget their basic approach is different from most developers getting a game out every 2 to 3 years.  They release one a year like clockwork, which is clearly going to be easier working with one engine tuned to one platform.

It's also interesting to note their total sales since releasing Resistance 1 are 8.25 million units.  While, Resistance 1 apart, their titles seem to be selling approx 1.5 to 1.7 million each, the costs of their titles releasing 1 a year has got to be much less that the 2 to 3 years spent on most big titles.  8.25 million units isn't too shabby since Resistance was released in November 2006.

I suspect many who look at each title individually think their performance sucks, but that's basically over 8 million units (plus an unknown number of PSN downloads as well for Booty) in just over 3 years - and the latest ratchet game looks set to sell plenty more units as it's early in its lifecycle next to the previous one.

Some quick estimates put the developer's revenue at around $170 million for those units shipped, sso it's a matter of how large the teams were, and what the development cost were.  I think it's safe to say that they are comfortable, and they are making good money.  They are one of the most experience developers on the PS3, so I don't see why they would go multiplatform a this point in the console cycle.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder