By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour : Insomniac going multiplateform

Squilliam said:
heruamon said:

$100K per year sounds about right...just going based on some contract writing in the past.  The number can swing wildly of ofcourse with Senior guys getting up past $150K...and none of these figures included bonuses.  Yeah, people don't realize how expense personnel cost are, until you have to deal with it.  Take for example the new film Avatar...it had 800 people working on that thing at one period in the development process...WOW! 

At one time most of them were New Zealanders too! That makes it the 2nd best movie ever behind Lord of the Rings! Its unfortunate that sheep didn't make the cut for the film.

Btw it also includes the office, the chair, the building, the heating, the lighting etc and all those add up quickly. I think 100k might actually be a little too low and 125k might be closer to the truth given the losses this generation.

The $100K is a good swag...as I'm sure they got quite a few 2/3-year employees at these firms at this point, and for them, $50-60K a year is sweet pay...ofcourse, as I said before, that $100K doesn't cover bonuses, so yeah...tacking it up to $125 might be more accurate.  As far as higher cost this generation, I think most of it is probably associated with longer development time and higher body counts, rather than pay rising faster than inflation.  These are the dynamics that people don't get...personnel cost are high, and if you get a couple of misses...you're going to be in deep shit.  If you high folks, and then have to let them go, it's going to play havoc on your morale, and sense of job security for your folks...sometimes, it's better to play it safe, and that's why I can't see Insomniac dropping $$ to boost their team by another 20-30 folks to be able to develop for the 360...unless they have some risk security.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

So is the ps3 doomed again?. Or more silly viral marketing?. If Insomniac went multi-plat i dont see it as a big deal. Make solid titles.

Squilliam said:
mibuokami said:
Squilliam said:

I was talking rough manpower vs sales of games per year. A general rule of thumb is $100k per employee per year so multiplied over the 200 employees you get about $20-25M dollars. I allowed for more because they are rated as one of the very best employers in the business so that might mean extra cost.

Ahh I understand, I thought you'd consider the development cost base on examples rather than the number of employee. In either case, I do not believe Insomniac project break even at $1m sales, I think they break even below that mark by a significant figure. 

It really depends on how the revenue is split and how they work out their contract. Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea but if I was pressed for a guess I would have to say they break even at about 900k give or take 50k because of other expenses like marketing etc.

Break even at no more than 500k.

Darth Tigris said:
MakoInfused said:

Bungie can and should (probably will) develop multiplat in the future

This really has no place in the thread, but I'll bite.

While SCE has been very supportive of Insomniac, it hasn't been NEAR the commitment that MGS has shown to Bungie.  MGS has made Bungie's Halo releases events and Bungie has benefited so much by having their excellent games marketed so well.

Thus there is no reasonable reason to compare the two in as to their respective relationships with their current publishing partners.

Hehe sorry if it seems as flamebait or anything, but i was just replying to the above post of mine.

The reason that MS has supported Bungie on a larger scale than SCE supporting Insom. comes with the fact that Halo was a mayor part of the success of the Xbox in the console market, and im sure SCE would have done the same in their position.

However, the fact that Bungie isnt 1st party makes it very possible that they could develop games (not Halo) for other consoles, including PS3. Same goes with Insomniac ofcourse.

Why did you bump this thread?