Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why People Are Not Liking FFXIII

huaxiong90 said:
Tallgeese101 said:
DaBuddahN said:
huaxiong90 said:
DaBuddahN said:
huaxiong90 said:
Tallgeese101 said:
Well I loved FFX so that bit is reassuring.

@DaBuddahN
I wonder if leading development on PS3 had any negative impact on side quests and lack of towns to visit etc.

How about you actually question his reasoning for such a statement instead of naturally assuming he's a fanboy and playing the role of the devil's advocate?

Thanks for the defense huax. :) Didn't notice this reply. Anyways, if you check my reply to Kowenicki you will see why I am concerned about the port. It has mostly to do with DVD swapping and DVD storage limits. And, if my reasoning is wrong, I would be more than happy to retract my statement.

No problem. I know what you're saying, and I can see the logic behind it, and I do agree (even Kitase said the multiplat move did cause some compromises). What ticked me off is how sensitive some people are of certain subjects, and how quickly they'll dismiss claims that don't fit their agenda, even if there is some reasoning behind it.

I know what you mean, I've seen this subject brought up before and the discussion it has formed in the past is ridiculous. It's like flame wars all over the place, and IMO it is a valid point. DVD swapping and DVD storage limit are very important take into consideration. It's almost as if certain people believe the DVD capacity has no limit. This is why all Final Fantasies, since 7 have been released on the console with the most storage capacity, among other things. This is why I am a bit uneasy about the port.

@Hauxiong90 Well my responce was to "I wonder if porting this to the 360 had any negative impact on side quests and lack of towns to visit etc." which I think is a fairly flamable statement when unsupported.  Regardess he did give his reasons in a later post which is fair enough.  Regarding sensivity to subjects, you cant just make a statement without any reasoning and expect not to be brought up on it.  And I think your reading to deeply into the matter of peoples 'agendas'

Regarding the multi disc issue, FF7-9 all had multiple discs and it did not seem to hamper them, indeed the single disc FFX and 12 both were more limited in exploration from some perspectives.

Anyway the game is what it is and will should be judged on its own merits for both systems.  Im getting it on PS3 as my 360 sounds like a vacuum cleaner without installing and I dont have 20gb spare.

I understand, and I apologize for generalizing, but it never hurts to just ask about his reasoning. To respond with heated words is only making the situation worse. There are indeed some cases where claims are just absolutely outlandish, but Yoshinori Kitase has admitted himself that the multiplat move caused a few compromises in development, so there is some water to it.

I do my best to never post something negative about another console without having something to back it up. And as Huax has stated, apparently, the multiplat move has caused some compromises. True, I should have stated my reasons in my first post, but I was in sort of a rush. 

Around the Network
Silentium said:
Why are you all bothered about this? It is a Final Fantasy, it must be awesome. Just like FFv13, which will be awesome, too.

Well hello new member, welcome to vgchartz. Opinions can vary on different FF games. We're just discussing the changes in the series is all. Enjoy your stay and hope you like the site.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

g-value said:

After reading more reviews, I've come to the conclusion that FFXIII = FFX. It you loved FFX (like I did) then you will most likely love FFXIII (it makes sense since FFXIII is pretty much made by the same team as FFX). If you hated FFX, then most likely you will hate FFXIII as well. I mean, its the same thing. FFX was pretty much linear until you got the Zanarkand (that is like half way through the game) and FFX was filled with alot of cutscenes. But the biggest problem people seem to be having with FFXIII is that its not a rpg-like rpg (like that famitsu reviewer said). There are hardly any towns, there is no leveling up, all the shopping is done at saving points, only 8 items are usable in combat, you can only upgrade weapons (not buy them in shops like you do in most rpgs). FFXIII is more akin to an action-adventure game (kinda like Metal Gear Solid) then an actual rpg. Hardcore, Old-School and and FF veteran rpg gamers will most likely be turned off by FFXIII if you expect it to have the foundations of most other rpgs. All in all, FFXIII is different from the average rpg (maybe alittle too different) and that seems to be the problem fans are having with FFXIII.

So....its exactly as I was expecting it was going to be?  Just a conglomeration of all the past ideas from FFVII-XII with a quazi-turn based/action RPG system?

Six upcoming games you should look into:

but doesnt this game have that character that everyone's jizzing thier pants over?

My complaint about the game is that there are too many cut-scenes. Play for a little bit, then cut-scene (can be either long or a short one), play a little, cut-scene, repeat...

It really screws up the flow of the game for me.

Xen said:

I am what you call a Veteran FF player.

If this is like FFX then holy shit, best FF ever, like FFX is. If the plot is equal to FFX, then FF XIII > FFX out of battle system reasons. Also... if "Linear" is a complaint... go play a WRPG. Lots of JRPG's are linear.

Is FFX considered to be an old FF game? That game is so new...My favorite FF's are the SNES games...

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Around the Network
Mahorosan said:
XiaoMay said:
No levelling up ???? Really ???

U mean ur caracters dont evolve at all ?

In the traditional, "fight gain exp to gain a level which increases your characters base stats," then yes there is no leveling.  You just build up CP which is used to learn abilities, stat increases, spells, etc on the ability grid.  

In other words, it's the exact same thing as leveling, just a tad more involved. You beat enemies, eaarn CP instead of EXP, and choose the abilities/stats/spells you want to increase from a list, instead of having the game decide for you......it really is the exact same thing......this is assuming that you earn CP from battles.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

EL_PATRAS said:
but doesnt this game have that character that everyone's jizzing thier pants over?

That would be Lightning or Snow depending on the player.

BTW, who was the pants jizzer in FFXII.

Also, everyone hated Squall until about 2 years after VIII's release.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
EL_PATRAS said:

That would be Lightning or Snow depending on the player.

BTW, who was the pants jizzer in FFXII.

Also, everyone hated Squall until about 2 years after VIII's release.

i dont know, i never played FFXII.  I just meant that lighting is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, apparently.  i havent been following this game very closely, but it looks pretty good story-wise, though i may be mistaken

AkibaFan said:
I read on neoaf hat story is as good as final fantasy 6 by many people. thats bad for me I thought final fantasy 6 story was too big and confusing at times. here you are saying its like ff10? maybe we should just say it will be like ff13

I'm not saying that FFXIII is like FFX story-wise, I'm saying its the same game design-wise (like it being linear for half of the game and there being alotof cutscenes).

@ At everybody else

Like I've said before, old school gamers and FF veteran gamers will likely be turned of by FFXIII because its not what you would call a "traditional" rpg. Hardcore gamers will likely be turned off by the casual gamers elements added to the battle system (like you hp being healed completely after each battle).

Oh well. Other than IX, for me FF has been good since VI.

VII was awesome and epic.

VIII was different but really fun if played it without leveling or using GFs. IX was a major step down for me,.

X brought back the epicness and had a great story.

/me punts X-2 out the door "Nothing to see here".

I like MMOs so XI wasn't so bad, but you could say it doesn't bring much to the FF name.

XII was a really interesting tie-in for alot of different things. The Gambit system alone made that game worth it to me. But the story was pretty good too, minus the really lame semi main character.

I dunno how XIII will be until I have in my hands in a few weeks (imported), but im pretty sure i'm gonna have a blast. If you want a "traditional RPG" with leveling and other "traditional" elements then the FF series hasn't really been for you for a while. I like being able to completely customize my characters stats and skills rather than have the game tell me I get +str here and +vit there.

Anyway. Honestly, I wouldn't let other people tell me whether i'm going to like a game or not.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.