DaBuddahN said:
huaxiong90 said:
Tallgeese101 said:
DaBuddahN said:
huaxiong90 said:
DaBuddahN said:
huaxiong90 said:
Tallgeese101 said:
Well I loved FFX so that bit is reassuring.

@DaBuddahN
I wonder if leading development on PS3 had any negative impact on side quests and lack of towns to visit etc.

How about you actually question his reasoning for such a statement instead of naturally assuming he's a fanboy and playing the role of the devil's advocate?

Thanks for the defense huax. :) Didn't notice this reply. Anyways, if you check my reply to Kowenicki you will see why I am concerned about the port. It has mostly to do with DVD swapping and DVD storage limits. And, if my reasoning is wrong, I would be more than happy to retract my statement.

No problem. I know what you're saying, and I can see the logic behind it, and I do agree (even Kitase said the multiplat move did cause some compromises). What ticked me off is how sensitive some people are of certain subjects, and how quickly they'll dismiss claims that don't fit their agenda, even if there is some reasoning behind it.

I know what you mean, I've seen this subject brought up before and the discussion it has formed in the past is ridiculous. It's like flame wars all over the place, and IMO it is a valid point. DVD swapping and DVD storage limit are very important take into consideration. It's almost as if certain people believe the DVD capacity has no limit. This is why all Final Fantasies, since 7 have been released on the console with the most storage capacity, among other things. This is why I am a bit uneasy about the port.

@Hauxiong90 Well my responce was to "I wonder if porting this to the 360 had any negative impact on side quests and lack of towns to visit etc." which I think is a fairly flamable statement when unsupported.  Regardess he did give his reasons in a later post which is fair enough.  Regarding sensivity to subjects, you cant just make a statement without any reasoning and expect not to be brought up on it.  And I think your reading to deeply into the matter of peoples 'agendas'

Regarding the multi disc issue, FF7-9 all had multiple discs and it did not seem to hamper them, indeed the single disc FFX and 12 both were more limited in exploration from some perspectives.

Anyway the game is what it is and will should be judged on its own merits for both systems.  Im getting it on PS3 as my 360 sounds like a vacuum cleaner without installing and I dont have 20gb spare.

I understand, and I apologize for generalizing, but it never hurts to just ask about his reasoning. To respond with heated words is only making the situation worse. There are indeed some cases where claims are just absolutely outlandish, but Yoshinori Kitase has admitted himself that the multiplat move caused a few compromises in development, so there is some water to it.

I do my best to never post something negative about another console without having something to back it up. And as Huax has stated, apparently, the multiplat move has caused some compromises. True, I should have stated my reasons in my first post, but I was in sort of a rush. 

Im sorry aswell!

Lawl. 

Around the Network
Mirson said:

Because it's linear for the first 20 hours.

Uh...I hate to break it to you, but every Final Fantasy game is EXTREMLY Linear.  This isn't Dragon Quest or Pokemon where they give you a vague list of objectives, a backpack and say 'go explore the world at your leisure and have fun!'  Final Fantasy is the epitome of 'Here, let me tell you where to go, what to do....forget that, let me draw you a map, close off all the adjacent roads, put up signs and NPCs along the way pointing you to where you need to go and make CUTSCENES leading you in the right way, just so you don't get sidetracked.'

Six upcoming games you should look into:

I think a better question, OP, is "why are people loving FFXIII?" and the answer is, because it's great, I'd assume, and so do many players. Every FF, from VII on out(as is made perfectly clear in this thread) is "love it or hate it." If you've loved them all so far, good bet is that you'll love this one.

Every FF except XII has been very linear, and everybody hated XII(but me) so WTF, lol? That's the big complaint? The game isn't even going good at 20 hours, and all the minimaps are linear on all the FF's except for the random chest cubbies and crannies, for the first 20, jeez.

More people love it, than hate it, and that means it's already doing better than every FF since VII.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
I think a better question, OP, is "why are people loving FFXIII?" and the answer is, because it's great, I'd assume, and so do many players. Every FF, from VII on out(as is made perfectly clear in this thread) is "love it or hate it." If you've loved them all so far, good bet is that you'll love this one.

Every FF except XII has been very linear, and everybody hated XII(but me) so WTF, lol? That's the big complaint? The game isn't even going good at 20 hours, and all the minimaps are linear on all the FF's except for the random chest cubbies and crannies, for the first 20, jeez.

More people love it, than hate it, and that means it's already doing better than every FF since VII.

I think you have a very warped view of Final Fantasy.  Or, more likely, you're mixing the American Western extremist view with the Japanese fanbase.  Which they loved FFVIII and X.  It can be argued that the reason FFXIII might be showing signs of being more of a conglomeration of all the past PlayStation Final Fantasy games (from FFVII-XII) is because the Japanese fanbase has been a strong supporter of all the major Playstation Final Fantasy games across the board, except FFIX.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

My ex housemates in Japan have the game and told me what they thought of it.
One of them loved it and had next to no previous experience of the series beyond number 7. One of them who is a bigtime series fan said she hated it for basically the same reasons a lot of you have mentioned, but mainly because the world feels very empty with not much to do in comparison to older versions. You don't feel the sense to explore etc.. And the last one who has played all of the games for all of the formats says he loves it and has not stopped playing it since he got it. He says it is not as good as some of the others but is a lot better then a lot of them too.

So to me it seems 2 out of 3 liking it is pretty good going. Sure people will have bits they dislike or wish could be better. Every game has that. But overall it should be fun to fans of the series, maybe not the best in the series but by going on what people are saying it is far from the worst. And that = instant buy from me.

Around the Network

FF8 was easily my favourite... But it had lots of towns, the best towns in the whole series.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

shams said:
Awesome. If FFXIII is like FFX... then I'll completely hate it. Not enough game, too many cutscenes... if they bring out FFXIII "The Movie" I'll consider watching it instead.

Looks like I saved a rental... maybe I'll borrow it someday.

Oh cool, when did you buy your PS3? No wait...your "friend has one that you can play"?

tedsteriscool said:
shams said:
Awesome. If FFXIII is like FFX... then I'll completely hate it. Not enough game, too many cutscenes... if they bring out FFXIII "The Movie" I'll consider watching it instead.

Oh cool, when did you buy your PS3? No wait...your "friend has one that you can play"?

You do remember FFIII is on 360... right?

Kasz216 said:
tedsteriscool said:
shams said:

You do remember FFIII is on 360... right?

Interchangeable. His profile and system tags lead me to believe he only owns a Wii, which was my point.

OP says that FFXIII is akin to FFX; Bioware says JRPGs suffer from a lack of evolution. I think I see a correlation here.