By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why People Are Not Liking FFXIII

tedsteriscool said:
Kasz216 said:
tedsteriscool said:
shams said:
Awesome. If FFXIII is like FFX... then I'll completely hate it. Not enough game, too many cutscenes... if they bring out FFXIII "The Movie" I'll consider watching it instead.

Looks like I saved a rental... maybe I'll borrow it someday.

Oh cool, when did you buy your PS3? No wait...your "friend has one that you can play"?

You do remember FFIII is on 360... right?

Interchangeable. His profile and system tags lead me to believe he only owns a Wii, which was my point.

Must be out of date.  Shams has a 360.

I remember him posting about it.

Around the Network
Senlis said:
OP says that FFXIII is akin to FFX; Bioware says JRPGs suffer from a lack of evolution. I think I see a correlation here.

After playing dragon age origins i think bioware shud look in the mirror first before criticizing others

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Mirson said:

Because it's linear for the first 20 hours.

Uh...I hate to break it to you, but every Final Fantasy game is EXTREMLY Linear.  This isn't Dragon Quest or Pokemon where they give you a vague list of objectives, a backpack and say 'go explore the world at your leisure and have fun!'  Final Fantasy is the epitome of 'Here, let me tell you where to go, what to do....forget that, let me draw you a map, close off all the adjacent roads, put up signs and NPCs along the way pointing you to where you need to go and make CUTSCENES leading you in the right way, just so you don't get sidetracked.'

I take it you haven't played FFXII. The maps were open for the most part. This is just straight line; just move forward and that's it. Four years of waiting and we get a game that goes backward. No thanks; I'm renting it but will probably buy it if the side quests are good.

Mirson said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Mirson said:

Uh...I hate to break it to you, but every Final Fantasy game is EXTREMLY Linear.  This isn't Dragon Quest or Pokemon where they give you a vague list of objectives, a backpack and say 'go explore the world at your leisure and have fun!'  Final Fantasy is the epitome of 'Here, let me tell you where to go, what to do....forget that, let me draw you a map, close off all the adjacent roads, put up signs and NPCs along the way pointing you to where you need to go and make CUTSCENES leading you in the right way, just so you don't get sidetracked.'

I take it you haven't played FFXII. The maps were open for the most part. This is just straight line; just move forward and that's it. Four years of waiting and we get a game that goes backward. No thanks; I'm renting it but will probably buy it if the side quests are good.

Its been stated that FFXIII is only like that for the first 6 hours of the game. No need to worry.

I kinda wish I hadn't clicked in to this thread.

-Hardly any towns
-NO LV'ing up??? (Really??) How the heck is this an RPG without any leveling up?
-Item purchasing through save points (Not really all that bad but since there'll barely be any towns.....IDK)

I'm starting to wonder what the big fuss is about on this game now other than the sound, visuals and physics.

From the OP these are the only points I'm having problems with as the rest I probably wouldn't mind (haven't really played FF extensively since FFVI)

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Around the Network

Form what I've read from the forum sites, FFXIII has a really deep storyline (though I've ran into 3 people who felt the storyline is shit but those comments are coming from people who have admitted that they feel videogame storylines in general are shit and who are only 20 hours in so take it how you wanna), OUTRAGEOUS production value, fantastic music and incredibly intense battles. This game is going to be AWESOME.......I hope.

XiaoMay said:
No levelling up ???? Really ???

U mean ur caracters dont evolve at all ?

Oh no, does that mean my lighting won't evolve into thunderstorm.

The main reasons people don't like FFXIII is because there's no way the Wii's version could ever come close to being as good as the PS3 version if it was on Wii which it isn't which a lot of gamers stuck in the last gen don't like.

And it's furthering PS3's domination over the 360 to the point that when GT5 comes out next year the PS3 will have already sold 5 million units in Japan while the 360 still won't have scratched 1.5 million in Japan by that point in time and the worldwide sales margin between PS3 and 360 will be under 6 million for 360 next week and still rapidly falling.

The vocal majority will almost always be those who are NOT satisfied. Say you find 20k posts about how bad FF13 is, so chances are 40k are completely NOT satisfied.

There are 1.5million copies in circulation right now so:

40k/1.5million = 2.6% so,

100%-2.6% = 97.4% (that either like/love or atleast dont hate the game)

Fam gave the game a 39/40 review so,

39/40 = 97.5% (pretty close to the above dont you agree)

You cant ever make everyone happy but if I had a 97.5% performance rate at work, I would be the damn CEO by now (in which case my performance rate would drop sub 50%)

g-value said:
Mirson said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Mirson said:

Its been stated that FFXIII is only like that for the first 6 hours of the game. No need to worry.

My experiences have taught me that non-linearality is not all it is cracked up to be.  They usually result in odd difficulty spikes and over-all lowered quality.  I like games where progression is specifically crafted by the developer for your enjoyment such as the Prince of Persia games (before they screwed it up with the 2008 version called simply "Prince of Persia").  In fact, most of my favorite games are linear or near linear.