By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why People Are Not Liking FFXIII

I don't like what I've been hearing about the game. Sounds way too casualized for my taste.

Around the Network
Senlis said:
g-value said:
Mirson said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Mirson said:

Because it's linear for the first 20 hours.

Uh...I hate to break it to you, but every Final Fantasy game is EXTREMLY Linear.  This isn't Dragon Quest or Pokemon where they give you a vague list of objectives, a backpack and say 'go explore the world at your leisure and have fun!'  Final Fantasy is the epitome of 'Here, let me tell you where to go, what to do....forget that, let me draw you a map, close off all the adjacent roads, put up signs and NPCs along the way pointing you to where you need to go and make CUTSCENES leading you in the right way, just so you don't get sidetracked.'

I take it you haven't played FFXII. The maps were open for the most part. This is just straight line; just move forward and that's it. Four years of waiting and we get a game that goes backward. No thanks; I'm renting it but will probably buy it if the side quests are good.

Its been stated that FFXIII is only like that for the first 6 hours of the game. No need to worry.

My experiences have taught me that non-linearality is not all it is cracked up to be.  They usually result in odd difficulty spikes and over-all lowered quality.  I like games where progression is specifically crafted by the developer for your enjoyment such as the Prince of Persia games (before they screwed it up with the 2008 version called simply "Prince of Persia").  In fact, most of my favorite games are linear or near linear.

A lot of people will agree with you.

Severance said:
huaxiong90 said:
Videogirl said:
People who complain the game is linear tend to forget how FFX was ultra linear too. FFXIII is basically bits and pieces of FFVII and FFX mixed together, so people who like those two games should love this one.

Characters and environements are mainly transposition from FFVII and FFX : (Cocoon = Midgar; Lightning = Cloud, Yaag Rosch = Sephiroth, Sahz = Barret, etc), Gameplay wise, the linearity, the impossibility to avoid battles every two steps and the leveling system look like a carbon copy of FFX.

And there are still people to question why I think FFVI and FFIX are the best FF ever.

Well then, I'll do the honors, why do you like FFVI and FFIX more than any other FF?

Personal taste, or just to piss fanboys.

Or just those who agree with their creators.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

kutasek said:
XiaoMay said:
No levelling up ???? Really ???

U mean ur caracters dont evolve at all ?

Oh no, does that mean my lighting won't evolve into thunderstorm.

Congrats you've obtained my "fucking win" post of the day!

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Mirson said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Mirson said:

Uh...I hate to break it to you, but every Final Fantasy game is EXTREMLY Linear.  This isn't Dragon Quest or Pokemon where they give you a vague list of objectives, a backpack and say 'go explore the world at your leisure and have fun!'  Final Fantasy is the epitome of 'Here, let me tell you where to go, what to do....forget that, let me draw you a map, close off all the adjacent roads, put up signs and NPCs along the way pointing you to where you need to go and make CUTSCENES leading you in the right way, just so you don't get sidetracked.'

I take it you haven't played FFXII. The maps were open for the most part. This is just straight line; just move forward and that's it. Four years of waiting and we get a game that goes backward. No thanks; I'm renting it but will probably buy it if the side quests are good.

While that map is cause for concern, one must keep in mind... it is the future, and i believe a lot of the world is above the ground, yes?

It doesn't make sense themetically so much for it to NOT be linear since a lot of the stuff like the roads, are pretty much just going to be roads that lead to different clusters in the city.

Though renting probably would be a good option.

Around the Network

Great FF X is my favorite.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Hmmm...I may actually buy the game now. I liked FFX. It was the only PS2 FF game I liked.

Mirson said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Mirson said:

I played all of FFXII.  And while you could technically say it was less linear than past FF games, it wasn't exactly 'open ended'.  The story was extremly linear.  And aside from the main story, the only thing to do was hunts, search for espers or grind in the same areas you had already been to.  So in other words, you could say FFX or nearly any other FF game is 'Open ended' by the same definition.  Since in those games, you could return to the past areas and grind/do side quests.  But the bulk of the game was still extremly linear, pointed you in one direction on a set path (via cutscenes and NPC direction) and was the majority of the content of the game.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Mirson said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Mirson said:

I played all of FFXII.  And while you could technically say it was less linear than past FF games, it wasn't exactly 'open ended'.  The story was extremly linear.  And aside from the main story, the only thing to do was hunts, search for espers or grind in the same areas you had already been to.  So in other words, you could say FFX or nearly any other FF game is 'Open ended' by the same definition.  Since in those games, you could return to the past areas and grind/do side quests.  But the bulk of the game was still extremly linear, pointed you in one direction on a set path (via cutscenes and NPC direction) and was the majority of the content of the game.

That's what i thought at first too... but by linear in this case... they mean it's exactly 1 path long.

I mean when you look at that map... it's practically the level design of a rail shooter.

Though it does make sense thematically for the beggining since it's taking place in a FF7 like uperworld. (i think.)

Later on it could be less linear when it reaches the "below" areas.

The lack of pretty boys in FFXIII is most unsatisfactory, i mean, atleast have a badass like auron was in FFX. *sigh*