By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - why do people think 360 will come in third?

I know for sure the ps3 will come in secound at least, its not because of the ps2 mumbo jumbo install base, its because its the best system out. People all know that, but they cant fork over $500 for video games. I have no idea why the wii is selling so wildly either to me its nothing speical. The 360 I would understand selling amazingly, its in between and has the most games. Unless sony takes out xbox in america there is a good chance the 360 may be 2nd. But if sony manages to take america from microsoft, then sony without a doubt will end up 2nd. As for 1st..

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Around the Network
zackblue said:
I know for sure the ps3 will come in secound at least, its not because of the ps2 mumbo jumbo install base, its because its the best system out. People all know that, but they cant fork over $500 for video games. I have no idea why the wii is selling so wildly either to me its nothing speical. The 360 I would understand selling amazingly, its in between and has the most games. Unless sony takes out xbox in america there is a good chance the 360 may be 2nd. But if sony manages to take america from microsoft, then sony without a doubt will end up 2nd. As for 1st..

you're too narrowminded. Perhaps to you it's the best system around and perhaps to you the wii is nothing special. To actually make a good analyse of how the systems are, and how good they will do in the future, you need to be objective and don't have an opinion of your own. Because i clearly think the opposite of what you just said. See? that's already 1 person not agreeing with you.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

@Zack - people are shelling out $500 ... its just that they are shelling it out for the 360 and games instead of a PS3 .... To say a console is the "best" is very subjective. Right now many people are saying Wii is the best due to innovation and the 360 is best due to library or Xbox Live while the PS3 is struggling to even though it is supposedly the "best" in terms of hardware ... (I say supposedly because we have all seen a number of developers say that it is harder to put out a game on and that its refresh speeds and bus speeds are an issue).

Given that the 360 will retain its "Library" lead for quite some time (just based on the fact that the majority of developers will not ignore the potential of 7M more customers on the 360) and the whole Xbox LIve and gamerscore thing which is creating a 360 user base that will be hard to dislodge any time soon.

I see this as being a race to the finish and at this point MS has plenty of bullets still to fire - price cuts, new xbox live functionality like IPTV (which could result in even cheaper sku's based on a set top box market), and finally while a lot of people seem to think there are no more big 360 titles to be launched I suspect we will see a Gears II sooner rather than later, who knows what Bungies next title will be and while it may only be a timed exclusive given the new relationship with MS it will still have a huge draw just based on being a Bungie product. As I said above - next gen developers will not ignore the potential 360 market given that it will be larger or equal to the PS3 market for another 2 to 3 years at a minimum.

ioi - "I have always endorsed NPD and have always conceded that their figures are obviously far more accurate than ours ..." - Posted on: 06/14/07, 22:22

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=355

I don't know why people are so convinced that the Xbox 360 will lose to the PS3 in Europe. Yes, the battle is much closer here than in the USA, but the PS3 only recently started gaining any ground, which was due to:

- a 33% reduction in the lowest-model price
- a price cut on the discontinued 60 GB Starter Pack, which people are getting like crazy because they want BC or don't want to lose the additional bundled stuff (2 games + controller)

Remember that Xbox 360 hasn't had a big price cut yet, and remember that the 60 GB PS3 model is starting to disappear in many countries, so it's likely that PS3's slight domination in weekly sales won't last.

There are still plenty of tricks Microsoft can pull to guarantee good sales in Europe.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

that other day i was talking to my friend and he was saying " PS3 IS OWNING WII AND 360 IN EUROPE!! " i dunno if that was a fact or making things out of his a** but PS3 fanboys think that way.
if they win in a place they think they won the world, I remember when i used to be speachless about the game cube and how far behind it was but i liked it.
if u like ur system that doesnt mean its gonna sell best, and if u think ur games are the best games people wont really think the way u think.
personally i like the ps3 more than the 360 for my own reasons. But look at the sales ? look at the upcoming titles ? GT5 is boring IMO they think its gonna save the ps3 ?

Around the Network

I think the PS3 has two things going for it: history and blu-ray. Most analysts basically predict mean-reversion for a living, so they think PS3 will surpass XBox 360 at x point in time because the PS2 sold more than the Xbox.

I think that blu-ray will be a bigger deal in about 2 years. By that time blu-ray will probably have beat HD-DVD out, and the PS3 will cost under $300 - probably a lot less. That means that people who want a next gen media player will pick up PS3s, just like people who wanted DVD players could get a cheap PS2.

As an Xbox 360 fanboy, I'm a little worried about 2008 but don't think it's going to be too bad. I think 360 gamers are less forward looking than PS3 owners because there's so many good games for the 360 now, whereas the good games for the PS3 (with the exception of R+C) seem to be coming out somewhere in the future. I'm sure at some point we'll see Gears of War II, some closely held secret from Rare, and other IPs that are just as big in America as Haze or Killzone could possibly be.

good points guys

OT: i still think xbox 360 has a better chance of coming in second. it still has some tricks down its sleeve (price cuts, xbox live functionality) and who knows, it could have some AAA titles that we had never heard of become good (who knew bioshock would sell so well before it came out?)

xbox 360, ps2 are my consoles 

end of generation predictions: wii 106 million Xbox 360 59 million PS3 57 million  

dabaus513 said:
Ripper made an exellent point, the wii is selling hardware like crazy but also has lowest attach ratio for game sold, i believe that was the conclusion from most gaming websites. Honestly with the games the wii has been putting out i cant blame anyone not wanting to buy software. I think if third party games bomb on the wii then it will be considered a hell idk a fad? I hate to say that cause all the nintdrones will shit a brick but if software doesnt sell then that will be the case.

Honestly I want the playstation to be 2nd, if not 1st, extremly unlikely in both events but i want it to happen.

How many million sellers did the 360 have in it's first 10 months? The Wii has had 10... As many will point out, the system with the most hardware sold doesn't need the highest ratio to software as long as the attach rates are ok.

If the Wii sells 18 million pieces of hardware by the end of the year and has an attach ratio of 4. The Wii will have sold 72 million pieces of software.

If the 360 sells 14.5 million pieces of hardware by the end of the year and has an attach ratio of 6. The 360 will have sold 96 million pieces of software during a 2 year stretch.

Given the fact that the Wii will have only been out for a year and a month, the Wii's numbers look pretty incredible. As the gap in hardware grows, the total software sold will also grow. A lower attach rate will still allow you to sell more of your games to that system if the hardware outpaces the competition.

Another point that other's have mentioned before is cost to develop and market your games. Comparing Wii to 360 software sales wise is a bit hard given all the scenarios. In any case both systems have impressive software sales.

The PS2 had a pretty low attach rate during it's first year as well.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Japan.

I think many people are in the same boat that I am and was in. I wanted a PS3 as well, up until the day they announced the price. I have the Wii and am pretty happy with it. I have almost purchased a 360 a few times but have decided not to each time after looking at it's software line up and realizing that it's got mostly PC games which I can play already. The PS3 is the system most different then the Wii and PC and may end up finding a spot in my home at some point. Given that the PS2 had such a large fanbase, it's easy to see that most people would prefer a PS3 if it's games and price matched the PS2. So far though Sony has screwed up pretty bad with it's hardware design and made it too hard for Software developers to push out the game numbers that the PS2 had. If Sony gets it's act together they might take off in sales.

The 360 hasn't had the problems that the PS3 has had, it did have the RROD issue this year but the warranty has made most users happy. It hasn't shown a huge increase in hardware sales even with all the software it's gotten. So software isn't holding the 360 back as much as it is the PS3.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.