By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - why do people think 360 will come in third?

ripper said:
just because a console (the wii) wins the total number of units sold does not mean they 'win'. there are tons of factors, but the one that matters to the companies is the bottom line and the positioning they have put themselves in for future generations of gaming. i think we could all say that the newcomer (microsoft) has done extremely well this gen in only it 2nd console. Back to the bottom line... wii isn't selling the software that the 360 is, so who is 'winning' right now?

I'm sorry but that is exactly what it means, I'm confused as to what make you think otherwise.  If a company is unprepared for the next generation, then they have cleary lost the current one, but it doesn't work the other way around.  Gamecube lost the last gen of consoles, yet Nintendo were prepared for this gen.  I find it funny how you think the number of consoles sold isn't important as there are many other factors... Yet then go on to say the bottom line is software.

Who do you think is winning at the moment?

With the Halo effect wearing off, and PS3 price cuts nearing, it would be naive to say the Xbox is in a comfortable position.  In fact I wouldn't say any of the consoles are in comfortable positions at the moment. 

Around the Network

Ok road

1. Just as many games were out for ps3 as 360, in its first year id def put them at equal
2. Only lately has it been otuselling in europe and thats after a price cut, need to wait till the actually average weekly sale occurs, and i wouldnt be suprised to see a 360 price cut if europe sales get out of hand

3. I can agree with you here, to a certain point, if you mean these games sold more last generation and are well known IP yes, but sleeper hits have been huge on the 360. THat and 360, in my opinion, has just as good of lineup, maybe slightly less cause of unproven IP

4. FF has been in decline since FF 10, 12 sold HALF of what 10 did, on half the user base, it will be big in japan, but elswhere to a certain extent.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

I CLEARLY (i spelled it right) did NOT say that total number of consoles sold was not important, but if they do not sell software the developers will not make good games for the console and it will die

Ripper most games that are coming out now, were in development before the success/userbases of the consoles was known. The 360 has also been on the market for the longest, it will have the best library at present, that's a given and an advantage of being first out.

You clearly said software is the bottomline, bottomline usually meaning the most important bar none; contradicting your "many factors" point. That's what I pointed out.

i said the bottom line is profit or rather in implicitly implied that.

Around the Network

People claim 2008 as year of the sony but i think ms has a couple of winners on its hands as well. First and foremost lost odyssey, tho i predict it wont hold a candle to ff13, too human, which looks awesome, fable 2, maybe some unannounced games, possibly gears 2.

Alright lets do it this way, for 2008 sony has a super sayian 3 lineup in theyre favor, ms has a super saiyan 2 but without the japanse market makes them super sayian 1.5 which was what trunks was when he fought cell and couldnt hit him because he was to slow, nintendo has a super sayian line up. This is y im still a virgin.

In all seriousness tho i dont think nintendos 08 line up is strong at all. SSBB will sell tons, wii fit which is the next new 'gazelle swing" and 'ab cruncher that you see on after hour infomercials" will sells tons then as people realize its only a fad will stop buying the thing, wii fit that is.

Word of advice, for all you fools that are going to buy wii fit and seriously expect to lose some weight i can save you a good sum of money. The book the abs diet is only 7.99 at your local bookstore and if you follow the guidelines in the book you will lose weight. Im not trying to sell stuff im just letting you in on something that could actually help you if your over weight.

Someone made a thread about the profits made so far from the three companies, you should refer to that. Moot point.

i think a huge factor to be determined in all of this is the number of ps2's still out there and being used... when people finally kick the last gen habit and upgrade will they stick with what they know or switch, i think people tend to stay with what they know, either way ms has already made quite a bit of headway

Yeah, if you want to talk about profits I think it's obvious who the clear winner has been. (even when they're not performing well)

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

I don't understand this talk about PS3 and FF. Wii gets 2 FF games in 2008. DS and PSP are regularly getting FF games. We are not sure when PS3 will get a FF game. Let's face it, FF was huge when it was exclusive to the PS or PS2 but that is no longer the case. Both GC and Xbox got some form of FF and the brand is spreading. Watch for another FF cell phone games. The 360 may even get a FF.

FF cannot and will not save the PS3.

Now, let's get on to a real question. Will Afrika be better than Pokemon Snap?

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com