By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - why do people think 360 will come in third?

holy shit carlos lets take a look at some things

""""And this is why attach ratios are pretty much Worthless, with the Wii on pace to sell over 150m+ worldwide at the end of its life, even with an Attach ratio of 4.0 it would sell 600m+ of software. The Xbox 360 with its current pace of doing 50m at most WW and an attach ratio of 6.0 would sell only 300m+ software.

You need to sell hardware if you want to sell games. At the latest Nintendo conference, they showed slideshows about how the Wii has sold more clearly more software than the xbox 360 in the same time period, obviously the Wii also sold much more hardware thus they have a lower attach rate. Despite that, the fact still remains: If you have great hardware sales, it is likely that you will have great software sales, despite what attach ratio says."""""

On pace to sell 150 million? After its first year (very soon) it will have sold (ill give you benefit of the doubt) 15 million, now even if wii goes another 6 years, thats 90 million, im still trying to figure out how the wii i just going to sky rocket like that

Those software ratios, how many are 3rd party? 1st party is great and everything (im guessing they included stuff such as wii sports/play.....) but 3rd party is huge

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network
Lost tears of Kain said:

On pace to sell 150 million? After its first year (very soon) it will have sold (ill give you benefit of the doubt) 15 million, now even if wii goes another 6 years, thats 90 million, im still trying to figure out how the wii i just going to sky rocket like that

Those software ratios, how many are 3rd party? 1st party is great and everything (im guessing they included stuff such as wii sports/play.....) but 3rd party is huge

You obviously don't know that the first year is usually the slowest or one of the slowers for most consoles, as people waits for more games being released and cheaper price points. This is just common sense here

The wii has been breaking most ps2 records everywhere in the world, and the ps2 did around 120m+... the market has growth, so i would say 150m+ (at least) is about right for the Wi.

They just showed all software, i guess they included Wii Sports and Wii play, and rightfully so: We are paying for those games, and we can play those games. Thus, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be included.

Once again, most 3rd party games of the xbox 360 are available on the pc with more features, and even "free" (yes, piracy, which is huge on computers). 

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

bah stupid vg chartz is KILLING ME

"""But you are ignoring Europe, and it is widely knowed that the xbox don't sell a lot of software there. Just a couple of weeks ago we saw a rumor about most EU contries stopping selling XBOX 360 software because, well, it just doesn't sells. Wii in the other hand is having a lot of quietly success there, with games like Tiger Woods, MySims, Red Steel, Brain training, etc etc etc

Unfortunaly, we don't have Euro software numbers on this site to make better comparisions, however i don't think anyone will argue against the Wii having much better success in europe than the xbox 360.""""

Where the hell is this rumor, besides from sony defense force, if so sony fans would be leading the charge with this rumor, i still dont understand how you got this.

""""While Wii 1st party software has vastly outpaced xbox 360 1st party software. And those 1st party games are exclusive, unlike 360's 3rd party software. You can get the same games with more features AND a cheaper price in the computer, at least for 90% of the games you are talking about.

Madden 08 has been perhaps the most disappointing game sales wise for the Wii, while we have a hell of a lot of games that exceeded expectations. Still, at 200k i'm quite sure than that game returned profits, taking into consideration that the Wii version obviously wasn't EA focus.

Besides, million sellers is another poor way to measure how a console is doing in terms of software success. Sometimes the games you release aren't expected to be million sellers. Even Zack & Wiki is not for the Wii. Is carnival games a million seller ? Is trauma center one ? Is MySims (Wii only) one? No. Are the developers happy with the profits of those games ? Hell yes. Most wii 3rd party games weren't expected to be million sellers, and they are not, however they are doing their job: Making very good profits for their developers.

I don't think developers care that much about having a million seller game as they care about profits. Some games, even at 1million are just breaking even.... sure it looks good to say "wow, my console has 100 million sellers, we are great!" however you must take into consideration that some games are more expensive to develop than others.

In this case the Wii offers the cheapest platform, and the easiest path to reach the bottom line: Make profit.""""

I dont know why you brought 1st party into this

YOur now confirming why they make crap games, because they can make cheap profit, this is proving they will put their best on the 360 and ps3, so they can have a flashy game to show off on how great they are. That and the fact that they sell JUST as well as the sloppy that makes profit, but the good games also get the companys recognized, make profit, and bring in new fans.

"""""That 65m+ prediction sounds good for early 09 for the Wii. """"""

......Have you done the math? At the end of this year/ begining of 08, we all have predicted that that the wii will be at 20 million or so. NOw in one year your telling me the wii will sell 45 MILLION CONSOLES.............. You understand that thats 3 and a half million consoles per month, 750k a week,...........
Your saying every single country will sell 1 million wiis per month?
THat prediction is absolutly rediculas.

..... Tv like success...............................................

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Lost tears of Kain said:
"""""That 65m+ prediction sounds good for early 09 for the Wii. """"""

......Have you done the math? At the end of this year/ begining of 08, we all have predicted that that the wii will be at 20 million or so. NOw in one year your telling me the wii will sell 45 MILLION CONSOLES.............. You understand that thats 3 and a half million consoles per month, 750k a week,...........

Dude, could you get Firefox or something?  Please.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Lost tears of Kain said:

Where the hell is this rumor, besides from sony defense force, if so sony fans would be leading the charge with this rumor, i still dont understand how you got this.

I agree that is not exactly the most credible rumour around, however it points at the poor software sales of the xbox 360 there... however is not a secret that the xbox is doing poorly in Europe, if you check the software sales you will realize that around 70-80% of the total sales of a typical 360 game is done in America.

Trauma center on Wii sold almost as much as Guitar hero 2 on the xbox 360 

Because they are games, and i like to play all games. I dont care if they are 1st or 3rd party games, i just want good games. If Nintendo is making the best 1st party games in the world, then it has to be viewed as a selling point on the Wii, not as a negative. We got Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pokemon etc just for 1st party. And those games are selling pretty well, showing that good games or games from big franchises sell as well in the Wii as they would anywhere else.

YOur now confirming why they make crap games, because they can make cheap profit, this is proving they will put their best on the 360 and ps3, so they can have a flashy game to show off on how great they are. That and the fact that they sell JUST as well as the sloppy that makes profit, but the good games also get the companys recognized, make profit, and bring in new fans.

Its pretty easy. If some developer makes a poor, cheap game like Carnival Games and make solid profits from it, then they will happily bring bigger projects to the system. Besides, good games takes long time to develop, and the Wii only has one year in the market... im pretty confident in the quality of games like Tales of Symphonia 2, No more heroes, Oboro Muramasa, King's story, Monster hunter 3, Samba de Amigo, Spore, Pro evolution Soccer 08, among others for 2008. 

We are starting to see signals of this with games like Mario & Sonic at the olympics, Zack & Wiki, Medal of honor heroes 2, DBZ BT 3, Nights 2, RE:UC among others for this christmas on the Wii.

First, i think johnlucas would agree with me that i was being conservative.

Second, i said early 09, after the 1st quarter, or around march/april

Finally, i think the Wii will get a price cut next year, and i believe that Wii Fit/Smash Bros/Mario kart all are bigger system sellers than Mario Galaxy itself. Plus with the wii getting much more quality and support in terms of 3rd party sofware i think every gamer will want one, i can see you yourself buying a Wii at least only for Smash bros/mario kart, even if you love your xbox. The wii should be able to do around 10m just in christmas 08. Remember that a current problem for the Wii is Nintendo not being able to produce enough to supply all the demand... that should be fixed in 2008.

55m+ is the least i can see the Wii doing by early 09. 

Around the Network
carlos710 said:
Lost tears of Kain said:

You obviously don't know that the first year is usually the slowest or one of the slowers for most consoles, as people waits for more games being released and cheaper price points. This is just common sense here

The wii has been breaking most ps2 records everywhere in the world, and the ps2 did around 120m+... the market has growth, so i would say 150m+ (at least) is about right for the Wi.

They just showed all software, i guess they included Wii Sports and Wii play, and rightfully so: We are paying for those games, and we can play those games. Thus, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be included.

Once again, most 3rd party games of the xbox 360 are available on the pc with more features, and even "free" (yes, piracy, which is huge on computers). 

Alright, if MS throws in a cheap packman for a dollar for every 360 owner who buys, then they can count those ratios? I mean we are buying and playing them so they should count?

This generation is quite a bit different from ps2 generation, you said the market has been growing well, also the other two "losing" consoles are also going to sell more then their past generation. Also ps2 dominated because it possessed all the games, weve yet to see this happen to the wii, but if it happens your prediction is possible

WHat percentage of computers can actually run these top tier games?

Lost tears of Kain said:

Alright, if MS throws in a cheap packman for a dollar for every 360 owner who buys, then they can count those ratios? I mean we are buying and playing them so they should count?

Why not ? Actually, i wouldn't mind including XBLA/PSN/VC games on attach ratios... Like i said, i think attach ratios are almost worthless. Profits are the only thing that matters on this business, if 100% of console owners bought your game, and still you didn't make a profit, it was a failure.

This generation is quite a bit different from ps2 generation, you said the market has been growing well, also the other two "losing" consoles are also going to sell more then their past generation. Also ps2 dominated because it possessed all the games, weve yet to see this happen to the wii, but if it happens your prediction is possible

Yes, i can see the xbox 360 and ps3 both doing better numbers than the first xbox and game cube. I think both ps3 and 360 will do over 40m worldwide when all is over.. one should sell a little more than the other, i think it will be the ps3 at around 50m with the xbox 360 perhaps at 45m.

By the way... i think it says even more about the Wii that it is doing so great without all the games like you said... next year we are getting much more multiplatform love with 2K sports games, Star wars force unleashed, Rockband, Civilization revolution, Spore, Pro evolution soccer, the rest of EA sports games, etc. =)  

I would guess a lot, since my not so great computer can run almost every game. 

carlos710 said:
Lost tears of Kain said:

I agree that is not exactly the most credible rumour around, however it points at the poor software sales of the xbox 360 there... however is not a secret that the xbox is doing poorly in Europe, if you check the software sales you will realize that around 70-80% of the total sales of a typical 360 game is done in America.

Trauma center on Wii sold almost as much as Guitar hero 2 on the xbox 360 

Youve still yet to provide a source, and its doing fine, not really poorly in europe. Second 360s total sales 66% is in america so 70-80% in america is actually just fine. And again your giving me no source.

Because they are games, and i like to play all games. I dont care if they are 1st or 3rd party games, i just want good games. If Nintendo is making the best 1st party games in the world, then it has to be viewed as a selling point on the Wii, not as a negative. We got Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pokemon etc just for 1st party. And those games are selling pretty well, showing that good games or games from big franchises sell as well in the Wii as they would anywhere else.

IM stating by this, is that even with fantastic 1st party, you have to have huge 3rd party to rule, look at N64, some of the best games ever made, yet without major 3rd party support ps1 dominated. Ps2 dominated because of one thing, completely superior 3rd party support.

Its pretty easy. If some developer makes a poor, cheap game like Carnival Games and make solid profits from it, then they will happily bring bigger projects to the system. Besides, good games takes long time to develop, and the Wii only has one year in the market... im pretty confident in the quality of games like Tales of Symphonia 2, No more heroes, Oboro Muramasa, King's story, Monster hunter 3, Samba de Amigo, Spore, Pro evolution Soccer 08, among others for 2008. 

We are starting to see signals of this with games like Mario & Sonic at the olympics, Zack & Wiki, Medal of honor heroes 2, DBZ BT 3, Nights 2, RE:UC among others for this christmas on the Wii.

Same goes with both the other two consoles, i think in all im stating is wii wont have superior in this, unlike the ps2 did last generation, unless time changes

First, i think johnlucas would agree with me that i was being conservative.

Second, i said early 09, after the 1st quarter, or around march/april

You never said first quarter just early 09, but even with that its still 3.25 to 3.5 million wiis a month

Finally, i think the Wii will get a price cut next year, and i believe that Wii Fit/Smash Bros/Mario kart all are bigger system sellers than Mario Galaxy itself. Plus with the wii getting much more quality and support in terms of 3rd party sofware i think every gamer will want one, i can see you yourself buying a Wii at least only for Smash bros/mario kart, even if you love your xbox. The wii should be able to do around 10m just in christmas 08. Remember that a current problem for the Wii is Nintendo not being able to produce enough to supply all the demand... that should be fixed in 2008.

Im technically already have a wii, but still even with those system sellers, its not like the other consoles do not possess others. Ps3 has the best lineup and by stating this your saying the ps3 should just sky rocket as well, heck all 3 consoles should. Again lets go back to what you said above that all consoles sell better in its second half, with this stated your predicting a 200-300 million wii sales after its life time total.

55m+ is the least i can see the Wii doing by early 09. 

thats a bit more reasonable, and thats a high, we already had a discussion in the other thread on where it should be at end of 08/beg of 09, and only a select few said the wiis would sel this high.

Just because john lucas said it could happen doesnt mean it will, his predictions as of late have been completely rediculas to no end.

Not happening, not possible sorry

corrected in text

carlos710 said:
Lost tears of Kain said:

Why not ? Actually, i wouldn't mind including XBLA/PSN/VC games on attach ratios... Like i said, i think attach ratios are almost worthless. Profits are the only thing that matters on this business, if 100% of console owners bought your game, and still you didn't make a profit, it was a failure.

profits for the victory of the console maker yes, but victory for the console owner is attach rates because attachment rates lead to more companys maing more games for that system which then = more games

Yes, i can see the xbox 360 and ps3 both doing better numbers than the first xbox and game cube. I think both ps3 and 360 will do over 40m worldwide when all is over.. one should sell a little more than the other, i think it will be the ps3 at around 50m with the xbox 360 perhaps at 45m.

By the way... i think it says even more about the Wii that it is doing so great without all the games like you said... next year we are getting much more multiplatform love with 2K sports games, Star wars force unleashed, Rockband, Civilization revolution, Spore, Pro evolution soccer, the rest of EA sports games, etc. =)  

I would guess a lot, since my not so great computer can run almost every game. 

You must have a good computer, my comp could barely handle wow, let alone these graphic powerhouses, we all see what it takes for crysis, these other games couldnt be much better

I dont want to sound like a fanboy, but you guys are insane.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M