By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anouma: Ocarina of Time really doesn't hold up nowadays

Lets put it like this. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is overrated. Excellent game. Overrated game. There is no way it should be on top of Mario Galaxy

Totally agreed. Wind Waker is far superior than Ocarina of Time, for example.

Maneco's Hall of Lame
As of October 2010 and, hopefully, until the end of times

Notable Mentions (a.k.a. "Games I Played and Hated")

The Legend of Zelda:
Ocarina of Time

Pokémon Channel

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Around the Network

^^ all opinion, Maneco. I believe that TWW was the worst of all the Nintendo-made Zeldas (nothing's worse than the Philips CGI zeldas of course). Whereas, I believe OOT was the best of all the Zelda games.

For its time Ocarina of Time was second to none. But now it looks very ordinary when compared to games released 10 years later. Graphics and technology have improved significantly and people's tastes change over time. 10 years from now the top games at the moment will look crap and we will say: "What were we thinking?". Comparing games from the past is not fair to compare with games from the present.

Ocarina of Time is regarded as a classic retro game that was launched on the Nintendo 64 back in 1998. The first 3-D Zelda game. It is not necessarily the best Zelda game ever but it was the first 3-D Zelda game on the Nintendo 64. Super Mario 64 on Nintendo 64 stands out due to being the first 3-D Mario game.

Being the first of its kind and bringing in a new era of gaming- 3-D gaming. Ocarina of Time is memorable and gamers remember it for being ahead of its time. Games are generally rated against competition available on the market. Ocarina of Time was a unique game and it deservedly received high scores for being the best platform/action game.

They're going to whine about graphics now about a game that's released more then 12 years ago?

Jesus fucking christ =/ What's wrong with people today. Why am I not surprised that some people marry a girl in a video game nowadays. Graphic whores

This is true in the same way it's true for a lot of old games, especially those early 3D games. There were a lot of revolutionary games comming out around then that will be fondly remembered (OoT, MGS, FF7, Half-Life). Take any of the bracketed games and imagine playing it for the first time ever after having experienced all the innovations since they came out. They wouldn't rate as high as they did back then. The reason why we remember them so fondly is they all brought something new and fresh to the table. Whilst the gameplay and story might still hold up, what really sticks in your mind is that initial experience and original WOW factor.

Around the Network

Ocarina of Time doesn't hold a candle to Majora's Mask. Both are still masterpieces though.

I agree... I tried to replay Ocarina a year ago, and I just couldent... I still play some N64 games now and then like SSB or Mario 64 or even Resident Evil , but IMO Ocarina didnt managed to hold itself so well...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

bardicverse said:
Aidman said:
bardicverse said:
SHMUPGurus said:
I know everyone is allowed to have opinions, but explain me this:

How can OOT be slower than TWW? The Wind Waker has a very annoying fetch quest right before the end of the game, while OOT does not. It follows the old Zelda route a lot more, meaning that you get the key items from beating the dungeons, nothing else.

I want to know, and thanks in advance.

Definitely agreed. TWW was slow and seemd like a step backwards.

I compare TWW with Star Wars Episode 1 - both were done to introduce new, very young fans to the series.

The wind waker was an incomplete project ! Nintendo did only 50% of what they want to make in that game so do you realize if the game was complete at 100 %.

Was the other 50% of the game the graphics?  

Nintendo admitted ! it's not my imagination.

eeehmmmm it hold up cary well. point closed/

hello how are you.

I've never had more fun with an adventure game than Ocarina of Time.It awed me over & over again until I almost had an awe-overkill.Majora's Mask was as good as OoT but it wan't the 1st time.OoT was.TP was really fun,annoyingly easy fights(I beat the miniboss of Snowpeak ruins with just 1 jump strike!) but repititive formula got on my nerves.
OoT is the best single player game ever to me.The fact that it comes up in so many threads,editorials,blogs & articles that it might not be the best ever proves it.
But what this guy said would be true of any & every single N64,Dreamcast & PS1 game.Read the article again & sub OoT for any game from those 3 systems!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs