By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anouma: Ocarina of Time really doesn't hold up nowadays

http://www.revogamers.net/noticias-4403-%27El-remake-de-Ocarina-of-Time-est%C3%A1-en-cada-nuevo-Zelda%27.html

"Si ahora juegas a Ocarina of Time, te das cuenta de que no es un juego tan, tan bueno. Hay momentos en los que no se mueve tan rápido como debería, los gráficos no son tan bonitos como deberían, hay partes algo confusas... Ahora cualquier Zelda es técnicamente superior. Todo va mucho más rápido, mucho mejor...", y pese a ello, Nintendo sabe cuál fue su mayor logro, y lo más difícil de mejorar tantos años después: "pero para superar aquel Zelda Ocarina of Time, lo que se necesita es aportar un cambio equiparable al que se vivió en aquel momento".

Loose translation:

If you play Ocarina of Time today, you'll notice that it's not a very good game. There are times that it doesn't move as quickly as it should, that graphics are not as nice as they should be, there are confusing parts....every modern Zelda is technically superior. Things go quicker, better..." but he knows Ocarina will be tough to top in people's minds now: "to surpass Ocarina of Time, there must be a great change comparable to what happened then."

Agree? Disagree? Think the man who holds the Zelda reigns is crazy?

Around the Network

Well, no, I don't agree with him. I replayed it recently and I was still somewhat stunned by how well it holds up. In terms of design it's still sublime.

Buuuuuuuut

I also agree that it is probably the weakest of the 3-D Zeldas

Gameplay is good but I agree : Graphics are not so great. Bottom line : Gameplay rules... Ocarina is one of the greatest games ever.

that's retarded, that would go for ANY game then o_O of course the new ones are better.

like 007, i looooved that game when it came out. went back to it and i was like "this sucks wtf"

same will happen to games you play nowadays

If it were released today it would not be hailed as the greatest game ever. I'm hard pressed to think anyone would even notice it.

It does have pacing issues, looks appalling in some places (I remember with horror the tower breaking near the end and the prerendered views), it has camera problems that would not go unnoticed today and so on.

It's still a decent game by today's standards, but not really all that amazing anymore. There are games that does every single part of Ocarine of Time better.

That said, I loved it when it was released. It was miles beyond any adventure game at the time.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network

Lets put it like this. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is overrated. Excellent game. Overrated game. There is no way it should be on top of Mario Galaxy ( http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html )

End of story.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

This is the best Aonuma quote since "Link's Awakening is the quintessential isometric Zelda." I love this guy. He seems to share my tastes exactly.

For me, the 3-D Zeldas have each been better than the last, but nobody has seemed to notice 'cuz they're all in love with the first 3-D game of every franchise: Mario 64, Ocarina, and FF7.

Killergran said:
If it were released today it would not be hailed as the greatest game ever. I'm hard pressed to think anyone would even notice it.

It does have pacing issues, looks appalling in some places (I remember with horror the tower breaking near the end and the prerendered views), it has camera problems that would not go unnoticed today and so on.

It's still a decent game by today's standards, but not really all that amazing anymore. There are games that does every single part of Ocarine of Time better.

That said, I loved it when it was released. It was miles beyond any adventure game at the time.

Personally I enjoyed Twilight Princess more.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Killergran said:

Every part? I don't know about that.

Remember the beginning of the Deku Tree, when the only way that most first-timers figure out they can break into the basement is by leaping off an edge to grab a heart at the top of the dungeon?

I would also put it as the least enjoyable of the 3d Zeldas. It is a good game, just not as good as it is made out to be.