By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anouma: Ocarina of Time really doesn't hold up nowadays

I dont agree Ocarina is still a blast to play

Around the Network

Totally agree. MM, WW and TP are improves Zeldas of OoT.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
The Ghost of RubangB said:
This is the best Aonuma quote since "Link's Awakening is the quintessential isometric Zelda." I love this guy. He seems to share my tastes exactly.

For me, the 3-D Zeldas have each been better than the last, but nobody has seemed to notice 'cuz they're all in love with the first 3-D game of every franchise: Mario 64, Ocarina, and FF7.

QFT!

People can Measure those games without feeling that "first time" sensation...

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

There is no such thing as games "Aging" if a game was good at one time, its good now.

I played through Twilight Princess, and then i played through Ocarina of Time. And Ocarina of time was a lot better.

At the name of YESHUA, EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth (Philippians 2:10)

I have the biggest Wishlist on VGchartz

Well first of all, I think he's looking at it fro ma technical standpoint. And trying to compare it to the other Zeldas. And so 'technically', I have to agree with him. However, there's just many other things to consider, such as game flow, game design and pure fun factor, which I feel Ocarina did better than WW and Twilight Princess. Especially Twilight Princess, where gameplay and the overall flow of the game felt secondary to story and 'atmosphere' (aka art design and game design).

All in all, I'd say Ocarina not only stands up to the games of the future, it exceeds many of them simply because it has a powerful balance of solid gameplay mixed with just the right amount of content and flow. And most importantly, it was a very open-ended game, much like the original and Zelda III, whereas WW and Twilight seem to focus more on a set path with optional exploring.  Of course, Ocarina does have graphical bugs and a few Z-Trigger issues (which later games fixed).  But I still feel it was a more overall solid game than the later 3D Zeldas, though Wind Waker came close.

But I do agree that Zelda needs to do something akin to what Ocarina did for its next installment, as Miyamoto has been saying. And I think that's what they're doing.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

Meh.

Ocarina of Time still rocks. The problems he listed off are still in the later Zeldas, too. Some obvious ones are boating around in waters (Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass) being a meaningless timesink. Twilight Princess had an awfully long and drawn out introduction.

I basically agree with what Pineapple said. Sure, some parts of the game haven't aged too well, but there are many elements in Ocarina they have yet to top. One can't just blame it on nostalgia - I mean, enough people thought Super Mario Galaxy topped Super Mario 64 (see VGC top 10), so it isn't impossible.

He's just being modest... not too many devs like that. Not to mention hyping up future zelda games.

Basically he's just saying 'So yeah, for the next Zelda, we will greatly change things up, so it'll be like OOT back then, and be the best Zelda ever'.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

nintendo fan mode

WOW ZELDA WII WILL BE THE BEST GAME EVER

/nintendo fan mode

Story wise, there have been few to hold up to the magic of OOT, graphic wise, it was great for what the N64 was capable of. What would shut everyone up is if OOT was redone for the next Nintendo system in HD and 5.1 Dolby Digital.