By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anouma: Ocarina of Time really doesn't hold up nowadays

Well ofcourse it doesn't, its years old now

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

I don't think just because it is old, that it is automatically dated. There are many 2d entries of series that are much better than modern releases.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
This is the best Aonuma quote since "Link's Awakening is the quintessential isometric Zelda." I love this guy. He seems to share my tastes exactly.

For me, the 3-D Zeldas have each been better than the last, but nobody has seemed to notice 'cuz they're all in love with the first 3-D game of every franchise: Mario 64, Ocarina, and FF7.

I think you're the last person in the world who should  be talking about Nostalgia not clouding your judgement, Rubang.

You practicaly live in the 8 bit era, despite the 16 bit era being better in almost every way.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Khuutra said:
Killergran said:
If it were released today it would not be hailed as the greatest game ever. I'm hard pressed to think anyone would even notice it.

It does have pacing issues, looks appalling in some places (I remember with horror the tower breaking near the end and the prerendered views), it has camera problems that would not go unnoticed today and so on.

It's still a decent game by today's standards, but not really all that amazing anymore. There are games that does every single part of Ocarine of Time better.

That said, I loved it when it was released. It was miles beyond any adventure game at the time.

Every part? I don't know about that.

Remember the beginning of the Deku Tree, when the only way that most first-timers figure out they can break into the basement is by leaping off an edge to grab a heart at the top of the dungeon?

Ocarina of Time is still among the games with the best puzzles. The way they're executed is still unmatched in any other game, even puzzle games.

I replayed Ocarina of Time a few months ago, and it is still brilliant in three aspects

- Puzzles

- Music

- Atmosphere

The story-telling, pacing, graphics and game-mechanics are somewhat outdated today. As a result, playing Ocarina of Time today will give very split results from person to person. One who focuses on the good sides, will still find it a brilliant game. One who focuses on the many flaws, will be incredibly disappointed by the game.

You could call it a game that has repetitive combat and awful graphics, or a game with fantastic variety, brilliant puzzles and fantastic music. Both are true.

i think the game has ages well and i can still play it and have a better time with it then most games this gen.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network

I'm not agree about what he said about the game itself, but I agree about the way to surpass Ocarina Of Time

OOT didn't hold up well even at 2000, that is, when majoras mask was released, superior in every way.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
This is the best Aonuma quote since "Link's Awakening is the quintessential isometric Zelda." I love this guy. He seems to share my tastes exactly.

For me, the 3-D Zeldas have each been better than the last, but nobody has seemed to notice 'cuz they're all in love with the first 3-D game of every franchise: Mario 64, Ocarina, and FF7.

I agree about Zelda (which incidentally is also my favorite franchise). That said, I think Mario 64 beats both Sunshine and Galaxy.

Well, for those saying it's overrated, you must keep in mind that it was rated in it's days, and not this gen. When it came out it was a better game than Galaxy was when it came out, because it just crafted a huge part of the conventions that where used that generation, the next, and even in this one, so the impact it had on it's time could be comparable to that of Super Mario Bros and such.

Now, it sure doesn't hold up to the modern Zeldas and other top tier games, it simply paved the way. For it's day and all it brought, it's flaws really paled in comparison. But today many games have used and refined it's formula, so it's shortcomings are more prone to stick out.

That being said, I think OoT is still a good game today, better than many newer games, it just can't hold up with the best out there anymore, which is to be expected.

EDIT: Also, "it's not a very good game" may read to some people as "it's a mediocre game". But the source says "te das cuenta de que no es un juego tan, tan bueno". That is more kind of like saying "you realize it's not a so incredibly good game". So yeah, it's not a masterpiece by today's standards, sure.

I'll comment when I play OoT