By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anouma: Ocarina of Time really doesn't hold up nowadays

KylieDog said:
Link's Awakening DX > Link's Awakening.

While OoT was great in its day and fronted some amazing new things it also had its flaws, and it has been lifted to a far higher standing than it should have been due to sites like metacritic or gamerankings that refuse to add legitimate older reviews because it would lower the games score which it has had for so long, even if that does deafeat the point of the site.

OoT has only 22 reviews, are plenty of games were can take 22 reviews and beat OoT score.

But that's a silly argument... actually more than silly.  Yes you could take 22 reviews of anythign with a hell of a lot more than that and make the score seem better.  I could also take 22 of the WORST reviews from those games as well and make it seem worse.  Considering those 2 cases exist and contradict each other, your argument is well contradictory and therefore illogical. 

You can't assume what something would have been had there been more reviewers to review the game for OOT in its time.  And discussing how they pick and choose which reviewers go into the overall score is not a good argument either as they still do the same thing too.  Either you make the case for both or you don't make it at all... but making it for both obviously would show why this argument doesn't lead anywhere.

We can't play the what if game here.  More importantly, we can't state that one side have something done to it when we plead for the other side to not have that done. 

Around the Network

I actually think OoT is the pinnacle of gaming when judged during its time period. It may seem dated to people who are just playing it for the first time now. But i expressly remember the wonderment that it created the first time i played it. That sense of accomplishment and grandeur has not been replicated since. Not by Gears 2, Uncharted 2, GTA 3 or IV, Mario, Halo 1, 2 or 3.

I feel glad seeing Aonuma admit that A Link to the Past is better than Ocarina of Time. It's nice to know that Nintendo can perceive their own games correctly.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:
I feel glad seeing Aonuma admit that A Link to the Past is better than Ocarina of Time. It's nice to know that Nintendo can perceive their own games correctly.

Funny how he didn't say anything of the sort.  Perhaps you're just hearing what you want to hear, like many others?

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

Funny how he didn't say anything of the sort.  Perhaps you're just hearing what you want to hear, like many others?

Sure he did. He said OoT isn't so great anymore. LttP, which is still as awesome today as it was when it came out, is the reigning champion. Not like Aonuma admitting this actually changed anything, as LttP was always the better game.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Zucas said:
KylieDog said:
Link's Awakening DX > Link's Awakening.

While OoT was great in its day and fronted some amazing new things it also had its flaws, and it has been lifted to a far higher standing than it should have been due to sites like metacritic or gamerankings that refuse to add legitimate older reviews because it would lower the games score which it has had for so long, even if that does deafeat the point of the site.

OoT has only 22 reviews, are plenty of games were can take 22 reviews and beat OoT score.

But that's a silly argument... actually more than silly.  Yes you could take 22 reviews of anythign with a hell of a lot more than that and make the score seem better.  I could also take 22 of the WORST reviews from those games as well and make it seem worse.  Considering those 2 cases exist and contradict each other, your argument is well contradictory and therefore illogical. 

You can't assume what something would have been had there been more reviewers to review the game for OOT in its time.  And discussing how they pick and choose which reviewers go into the overall score is not a good argument either as they still do the same thing too.  Either you make the case for both or you don't make it at all... but making it for both obviously would show why this argument doesn't lead anywhere.

We can't play the what if game here.  More importantly, we can't state that one side have something done to it when we plead for the other side to not have that done. 

What you say would be true if there wasn't reviews being ignored that would lower the score for OoT.   What has been done for OoT is effectivly cherry picking the good reviews and ignoring the bad ones.   Only thing is that new games do not get to do the same, thus OoT remains top and gets more praise than it should.

Super Mario World is 5th on gamerankings with only 5 reviews...what kind of joke is that?

This only matters if you actually care about a game's standing on Gamerankings/Metacritic and a time existed not so long ago when most people didn't.

To say that people hail/ed OoT the best game ever just because it's no.1 on Metacritic or Gamerankings or whatever is just not true.  OoT of time was widely hailed as the best game ever at the time of it's release and continued to be the yardstick which all games were compared against for years after and years before Metacritic was even founded.

Any time there is a "What is your favourite game?" thread, it astounds me how many votes OoT still gets.  You think all of these people formulated this opinion based on the Metascore? 

I still stand by the claim that OoT is the best game ever.  By that I mean from when I played it at it's release to now there hasn't been another game that was simply so much better than everything else that was available at the same time.  Playing now the combat feels stiff, the camera is just ok, the graphics (as with all PS1 era games) have aged poorly, but at the time it was just head and shoulders ahead of everything else. I'm not even sure if it's possible for a game to top OoT in this regard, to stand out as much as it did, given that developers have learned alot in the intervening years about how to make good gameplay in a 3D environment.

If we are going to talk about what is the best game ever in the absolute sense then there probably is a new contender every couple of years but none of them are going to hold the title particularly long as the are going to get supersceded by other games or even their own sequels due to advancements in tech and refinement of game mechanics.  It's going to be very hard for another game to have the impact that OoT had at that time and that is why many people still hail it as the best ever.

OT: As a game designer i don't think it would ever pay to be nostalgic about your own work and hence i would be disappointed if Anouma was to concede that OoT was Nintendo's best possible work and admit defeat.  I also think the perspective of a game designer would be quite different from a gamer or game critic and unless he/she played alot of games themselves (Miyamoto for example plays very little) you are not going to have the perspective to judge the magnitude of your own creation.

ClaudeLv250 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

Sure he did. He said OoT isn't so great anymore. LttP, which is still as awesome today as it was when it came out, is the reigning champion. Not like Aonuma admitting this actually changed anything, as LttP was always the better game.

Exactly, you just hear what you want to hear.

PS: He didn't say anything about LttP.  And no one but people online are trying to fight about what game in the series is the 'best'.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

He's right, the buzz with the game is it that it was revolutionary

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

Exactly, you just hear what you want to hear.

PS: He didn't say anything about LttP.  And no one but people online are trying to fight about what game in the series is the 'best'.

Denial is unbecoming of you.

I don't know shit about Zelda games, found this link (no pun intended), some of youse might enjoy it /shrug

Majora's Mask: The Greatest (Zelda) Game Ever Made
http://www.zeldainformer.com/2009/11/my-argument-for-why-majoras-mask-is-the-greatest-zelda-game-ever-made.php#more