By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anouma: Ocarina of Time really doesn't hold up nowadays

cr00mz said:

ok, personaly i think all the zelda storys are pretty meh, never really picked up a zelda and "man, that was a good story/ had got plot". i come for the gameplay

but i guess everyones different

I can understand, from a different perspective - I think the Final Fantasy stories are subpar, where people swear by FF games.

Around the Network

Besides obvious technical advancements, I personally think that 3D Zelda's have gotten worse since Ocarina of Time was released. While I deem Majora's Mask to be on equal ground; Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Twilight Princess all lack in certain areas that prevent them from being a complete experience, and certain design choices make them less memorable, and less engaging than their N64 counterparts.

For what it's worth, though, I do agree that Link's Awakening was the best 2D Zelda, narrowly edging out A Link to the Past.

bardicverse said:
cr00mz said:

ok, personaly i think all the zelda storys are pretty meh, never really picked up a zelda and "man, that was a good story/ had got plot". i come for the gameplay

but i guess everyones different

I can understand, from a different perspective - I think the Final Fantasy stories are subpar, where people swear by FF games.

Well, its kind of a different setup.  Zelda, until Twilight Princess that is, focused on gameplay, exploration and gaining clues through character interaction.  Whereas Final Fantasy focuses on Storyline and graphics directly, in a very linear fashion.

Zelda is more comparable to a series like Dragon Quest, where both try to focus on gameplay, character interaction and item collection, but don't really focus so much on story (except for rare cases like DQIV and V or Zelda Ocarina and Twilight).  Final Fantasy would be more comparable to a series like....well, none of the Nintendo series.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Cactus said:
Besides obvious technical advancements, I personally think that 3D Zelda's have gotten worse since Ocarina of Time was released. While I deem Majora's Mask to be on equal ground; Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Twilight Princess all lack in certain areas that prevent them from being a complete experience, and certain design choices make them less memorable, and less engaging than their N64 counterparts.

For what it's worth, though, I do agree that Link's Awakening was the best 2D Zelda, narrowly edging out A Link to the Past.

I sort of agree with your remark about the 3D Zeldas, I think OOT & MM were both amazing, but TP is better. WW, while being one of my favourite games on the GameCube, felt like an incomplete game at times to me. It was obviously rushed too much. PH just felt barren, for a Zelda game. But I still liked it. :) Of course, that's all imho.

And yes, LA DX is the very pinnacle of 2D Zelda gaming, no shred of doubt about that. Words cannot express my love for that game.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

graphics will never hold up.. ever.. well, not unless your shenmue.. ocarina is an AMAZING game.. poo on u!

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Around the Network

Personally, A Link To The Past is the greatest zelda game ever

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

I don't agree, not too long ago I replayed Ocarina of Time, just after finishing Wind Waker and playing the beginning of Twilight, and I was impressed by how well this game holds up. I think it's better balanced between adventure and exploration, Wind Waker has too much navigation and Twilight has a very boring beginning.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

KylieDog said:
Link's Awakening DX > Link's Awakening.

While OoT was great in its day and fronted some amazing new things it also had its flaws, and it has been lifted to a far higher standing than it should have been due to sites like metacritic or gamerankings that refuse to add legitimate older reviews because it would lower the games score which it has had for so long, even if that does deafeat the point of the site.

OoT has only 22 reviews, are plenty of games were can take 22 reviews and beat OoT score.

Most people loved Ocarina back in the days before reviews became obsessed over.  And WELL before Metacritic came around.  In other words, people were in love with Ocarina before the 'Internet' age came and made everything about how hyped a game was due to reviews and marketing.

By the same argument, you could say Metal Gear Solid or FF7 on the playstation deserves lower scores and less hype.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

KylieDog said:
Link's Awakening DX > Link's Awakening.

While OoT was great in its day and fronted some amazing new things it also had its flaws, and it has been lifted to a far higher standing than it should have been due to sites like metacritic or gamerankings that refuse to add legitimate older reviews because it would lower the games score which it has had for so long, even if that does deafeat the point of the site.

OoT has only 22 reviews, are plenty of games were can take 22 reviews and beat OoT score.

Well yes. Of course. When I talked about LA, obviously I was referring to the DX version. ;)

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

gansito said:
Khuutra said:
Well, no, I don't agree with him. I replayed it recently and I was still somewhat stunned by how well it holds up. In terms of design it's still sublime.

Buuuuuuuut

I also agree that it is probably the weakest of the 3-D Zeldas

that would be Twilight Princess by FAR.

This is a legitimate viewpoint to take

But I suppose I really meant in technical terms