By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anouma: Ocarina of Time really doesn't hold up nowadays

RageBot said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
RageBot said:
Ofcourse games like OoT don't age well, it's importance was the revolution it caused in gaming and most importantly - gameplay.
Games that age well are games that have usually perfected a formula and got to the point of "looking really good", because of the, A link to the past aged a lot better than Ocarina of time.

Another type of game that ages well are games that the most important aspect of them is the plot, games like Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment and various JRPGs, pepole still play them today, and are still amazed by them, not because of the gameplay, graphics, or anything that is "important" to a "game", but because of their plot.

But Ocarina of Time perfected the formula Zelda was going for.  Including the formula Link to the Past was going for.

The only reason you can say Ocarina doesn't hold up to the current standard is either its visual presentation (graphics of course get better) or its technical limitations) which of course, being the first to do many things, it would eventually be surpassed).

However, it really says something that almost 10 years after the fact, Ocarina of Time is still so solid and fun to play.  And even has a better camera and targeting system than some contemporary action games.  The thing I think Miyamoto has been saying and even Anouma was trying to say here (in his rather downplaying tone) was that the next Zelda has to do something completely new than just be a graphical upgrade.  It has to re-invent everything, like Ocarina did with Z-Targeting and cinematic storytelling in a fully rendered 3D world.

Exactly, it perfected the 2D formula, in 3D, it was revolutionary, but as a 3D game, it had more problems than LttP had as a 2D game.

And that's why in my opinion, LttP aged better than OoT.

I mean, some of the pepole who I know that started playing Zelda today, prefered LttP over OoT.

And some of the people I know who started Zelda post Ocarina like Wind Waker the most.  And some like Twilight.  And some like Ocarina.  Heck, I know a couple people who like Zelda 2 the best.

Zelda is not a good series to try to define as having a 'best' game.  Because everyone has their own favorite game, and try to turn around and turn their 'favorite' into the 'best' of the series and argue that into the ground (especially those who like Majora's Mask for some reason).  But the good thing is, everyone can mostly enjoy all the Zelda games....with Twilight Princess kinda being the exception.

Personally, I feel Ocarina has aged amazingly well.  Its just in all ways except graphics.  Others will say it hasn't aged well at all because they focus on those graphics and point to a different Zelda as being 'better' (such as LttP).  But then, they're also partially harking back to their own personal memories and nostalgia of that game to skew their decision.  Frankly, I'd put the original Zelda or Link's Awakening as my personal 'favorite' Zeldas over Link to the Past.  And that's the problem.  Personal opinion skews perception of what has 'aged well'.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

For me a game can't be the best if it doesn't have an open world. Other people will disagree with me here, so you can't really say that one particular game is THE best. You can't argue about other people's taste.