By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anouma: Ocarina of Time really doesn't hold up nowadays

Avinash_Tyagi said:
arsenicazure said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Johann said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
This is the best Aonuma quote since "Link's Awakening is the quintessential isometric Zelda." I love this guy. He seems to share my tastes exactly.

For me, the 3-D Zeldas have each been better than the last, but nobody has seemed to notice 'cuz they're all in love with the first 3-D game of every franchise: Mario 64, Ocarina, and FF7.

I think you're the last person in the world who should  be talking about Nostalgia not clouding your judgement, Rubang.

You practicaly live in the 8 bit era, despite the 16 bit era being better in almost every way.

The 16 bit era is better in every way, but the 8 bit era is more important!  It's the whole evolution vs. revolution thing.

And it's happening again with the Wii being the new NES, and shaking up the whole industry.  Next gen is going to be the Super Wii Entertainment System, and blow everything away.

well the SNES was actually a step down for ninty from the mighty days of NES, where it held the market unabated. compared to near market monopoly for ther NES, the SNES could only muster roughly 50-60% of the marketshare. So super wii comparison? I dont think so. The N64 took things lower and the GC even lower... so if ninty's market trends are any indication the super wii should be weaker than the wii(cherry picking)..

For me, 16 bit was soo much better.. the visuals were much more easier on the eyes.. mainly coz they didnt look like EGA/CGA with siezure inducing flashing blocks of light randomly and the controls got a lot better too.. yes the genesis 6 button kicked ass!

Thing was, the reason for the decline was Nintendo abandoned its disruptive ways, Reggie knows this which is why he said no Wii HD, the next Nintendo won't be a super Wii, it'll have to be a disruptor

You're forgetting the two gen rule! Next gen doesn't need a disruption. Nintendo can get away with just a HD Wii but after that the market will need another shot in the arm (like the NES, PlayStation, Wii).

Around the Network

^If Nintendo is smart, and most that I've heard from Iwata, Miyamoto and Reggie indicates they are, they know that doing that would be a bad idea and they'll push for another disruption

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

for me the real best zelda ever created is " A Link To The Past " and at second place cames " The Wind Waker " and Finally " Ocarina of Time ".

The Legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker - isn't a remake of OOT maybe Twilight Princess but not the WW.

and I really miss the 2D zeldas T_T where is their future ?

Avinash_Tyagi said:
^If Nintendo is smart, and most that I've heard from Iwata, Miyamoto and Reggie indicates they are, they know that doing that would be a bad idea and they'll push for another disruption

How exactly are they going to disrupt next gen? The age and gender barriers are gone. Gaming is as mainstream is it's ever going to get. The only thing they can do now is improve the technology. Next gen motion control will become standard. Then after that we can move on to virtual reality...

^That's what people probably would have said last gen, there are plenty of places that gaming can go, and just because we don't know what Nintendo can do, doesn't mean they don't, who really saw the Wii coming until it did?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:
I know everyone is allowed to have opinions, but explain me this:

How can OOT be slower than TWW? The Wind Waker has a very annoying fetch quest right before the end of the game, while OOT does not. It follows the old Zelda route a lot more, meaning that you get the key items from beating the dungeons, nothing else.

I want to know, and thanks in advance.

Definitely agreed. TWW was slow and seemd like a step backwards.

I compare TWW with Star Wars Episode 1 - both were done to introduce new, very young fans to the series.

bardicverse said:
SHMUPGurus said:

How can OOT be slower than TWW? The Wind Waker has a very annoying fetch quest right before the end of the game, while OOT does not. It follows the old Zelda route a lot more, meaning that you get the key items from beating the dungeons, nothing else.

I compare TWW with Star Wars Episode 1 - both were done to introduce new, very young fans to the series.

The wind waker was an incomplete project ! Nintendo did only 50% of what they want to make in that game so do you realize if the game was complete at 100 %.

Aidman said:
bardicverse said:
SHMUPGurus said:

The wind waker was an incomplete project ! Nintendo did only 50% of what they want to make in that game so do you realize if the game was complete at 100 %.

Where did you get that? o_O

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Aidman said:
bardicverse said:
SHMUPGurus said:

Was the other 50% of the game the graphics?  

Yes, like one the posters said, what he really meant by just the technical standpoint. But some of us OOT purist seems like we take it for the whole package...

Now we all know that some(or majority) of us wouldn't care how the N64 graphics looks compare to this gen and I have to agree it really does NOT look bad after so many years. Heck, I even find 8 bit graphics fun to look at. Anyway, this is as far I'll post, 'cause most of you already what has to be said...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!