By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: Not EVERYTHING needs to be 3D! (Do you AGREE?!)

Vetteman94 said:
hsrob said:
I couldn't agree more, a nice balance between the two would be great.

There is however an element in the gaming community that still seems to see less value in 2D games than 3D.

The position that every game would be better in 3D is indefensible. If you are talking in the theoretical speculative sense, then maybe, otherwise reality disagrees with you.

If its that persons opinion thats all that matters, its not like there are facts to back up that 2D gaming is superior to 3D gaming in anyway and vice versa,  its all a matter of opinion.  So reality disagrees with you

Sure, but what you're doing is kind of the same thing as saying "Every game could be better if it was a FPS".

So yeah, it makes very little sense. And you simply believe so. I mean, you can't even exemplify it when people ask you, like about Tetris or Minesweeper, so there's nothing to back your opinion. It may be be your opinion, but the notion that opinions are all equal makes no sense itself, so it's worth asking what the basis for someone's opinion are.

Also, I'm not gonna add to the 2.5D thing, as I believe it has already been made obvious what it means.

Around the Network
880user088 said:
little BIG planet enough said :)

It still is 3D because the side-scrolling isn't truly flat; your Sackboy can actually go back further from the screen and forward. There's depth to the side-scrolling aspect of the game in which the characters can shift forward and backward to the screen, so it is not truly a 2D game (even though it's a side-scrolling platformer).

The Anarchyz said:
Miyamoto is right, some games just don't work on 3D, and some don't work on 2D... Mario is one that works both ways (but is more popular in 2D)...

I was thinking about what someone posted about Pokemon in 3D, and the game can work with some good cel-shading, full 360 view for exploration, and when a Wild Pokemon is found, switch to a battle screen with the old system and anime-esque scenes...

Well, Pokemon could work on 3D, most things could. But like Mario, there would have to be changes. Maybe the battles would become more action strategy instead of turn based strategy for example.

@miyamoto
Spoken like a true legend. /bow

I agree with Miyamoto.

In my opinion, the reason nintendo lost so much ground to sony in the n64 and gamecube years was that sony made it all about 3d with their motion picture strategy, but Nintendo dominates in 2d. I like 3d nintendo but 2d nintendo sells.

The wii is going back to the roots.  Wii fit is like track meet.  Super mario brothers is back.  Gameplay over graphics is back.  I liked the gamecube, but I think the wii brings back a lot of what made the NES succesful.

Around the Network

Sure I agree. Not everything needs to be 3D. Plenty of games only work in 2D. I can't believe that anyone has tried to take the opposite position.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Some games, actually have and edge over what they would have been like if they used polygons.

Muramasa would not look like a painting id it wasn't for the 2D graphics, and in Starcraft, you would not be able to distinguish units that easy if it wasn't for the 2D graphics.

So I really don't get how someone can say that every single game would be better with 3D graphics.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
Some games, actually have and edge over what they would have been like if they used polygons.

Muramasa would not look like a painting id it wasn't for the 2D graphics, and in Starcraft, you would not be able to distinguish units that easy if it wasn't for the 2D graphics.

So I really don't get how someone can say that every single game would be better with 3D graphics.

Muramasa could retain it's painting look, think Okami, but overall I agree.

hmm....speaking of okami, I'd love a 2D one!

with the similar art style

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Totally agree.

Games like Tetris, Mario, Metroid, Castlevania... even Sonic are much better in 2D

MY ZELDA COLLECTION