By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Catholic Church: We'll Stob Being Charitable if Gay Marriage is Passed

FaRmLaNd said:
Question to the Christians here. Would the act of witholding charity for political reasons be considered a sin?

I certainly hope so...

Yes.

It's also morally questionable, which is why I disagree with this move.

Around the Network

I think it would....Matthew 25 tells us to give to the 'least of these'. Therefore, if someone was holding out on giving, it would be sinful.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

does anyone care?

the Catholic church doesn't have the power it used to anymore

this isn't the 1800's

this is the 21st Century

ofcourse its outrageous but there's no point getting angry about such things

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

highwaystar101 said:
CommunistHater said:
"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination." (Leviticus 20:13). "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination. Nor shall you mate with any animal, to defile yourself with it. Nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it. It is perversion. ‘Do not defile yourselves with any of these things; for by all these the nations are defiled, which I am casting out before you." (Leviticus 18:22-24). Notice that the latter Bible verses lump in homosexuality with bestiality.

OBEY!

So because the Bible says that gay sex and bestiality are the same, then that is the reason to not be gay?

How about if I say that homosexuality and bestiality are *not* morally the same and that the Bible is wrong on this one? I'm sorry, but this is 2000 year old reasoning, and it shows I'm afraid.

I don't that the two being mentioned in the same chapter means anything, the Leviticus was written over a long timespan, not in chronological order. You can often find totally random laws written after each other.  

BTW, now that I'm thinking about it, why not? How is either bestiality, or homosexuality morally worse than the other one? 

mrstickball said:
outlawauron said:
tombi123 said:

There is a slightly different situation in the UK. The Church of England is state funded so they can't really go against the secular state. Although I agree with you that a private church doesn't have to provide a service to anyone they don't want to.

Well, see my thing is, I think the local church has a role in serving and being pro-active in the community.

I did not know, though, the situation in England. I guess US and UK don't have the same separation of church and state it seems.

No, we don't have the same. There is no American church....That is why we have freedom of religion in America.

We have freedom of religion in the UK too... 

Around the Network

But you don't have the freedom of not having a state-backed church. We have the freedom to have no state/federal association with a particular church.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Alterego-X said:
highwaystar101 said:
CommunistHater said:
"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination." (Leviticus 20:13). "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination. Nor shall you mate with any animal, to defile yourself with it. Nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it. It is perversion. ‘Do not defile yourselves with any of these things; for by all these the nations are defiled, which I am casting out before you." (Leviticus 18:22-24). Notice that the latter Bible verses lump in homosexuality with bestiality.

OBEY!

So because the Bible says that gay sex and bestiality are the same, then that is the reason to not be gay?

How about if I say that homosexuality and bestiality are *not* morally the same and that the Bible is wrong on this one? I'm sorry, but this is 2000 year old reasoning, and it shows I'm afraid.

I don't that the two being mentioned in the same chapter means anything, the Leviticus was written over a long timespan, not in chronological order. You can often find totally random laws written after each other.  

BTW, now that I'm thinking about it, why not? How is either bestiality, or homosexuality morally worse than the other one? 

Humans can understand and give consent, Show me how an animal can both understand what you are doing to it and give consent, and I will repeal that argument...

To be honest that is one reason out of dozens.

mrstickball said:
But you don't have the freedom of not having a state-backed church. We have the freedom to have no state/federal association with a particular church.

True, but for all intent and purposes we are a secular state/society and the CoE has no more political power than the monarchy. I think the only reason why we still haven't officially separated church and state is because it would be a lot of bother and no one really cares enough.

highwaystar101 said:
Alterego-X said:
highwaystar101 said:
CommunistHater said:

OBEY!

Humans can understand and give consent, Show me how an animal can both understand what you are doing to it and give consent, and I will repeal that argument...

To be honest that is one reason out of dozens.

Animals aren't required to give consent for being butchered, and eaten by you, either. How is sex worse?

nightsurge said:
Alterego-X said:
Obviously, they have all right to do that, they give charity when and to whoever they want.

On the other hand, it's not really Christian behavior, even if they consider gay sex a sin.
Jesus says:
-"It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

They re doing exactly the opposite, like the Pharisees: " OMG! We are so holy and righteous! We won't even talk to the common sinners, we have nothing to do with them!"

Well put.  This is why I have nothing wrong with gay individuals, even though I am a very strong Christian.  I can't stand Catholics either.... they are the worst example when it comes to Christian behavior and beliefs because they literally make so much stuff up.  Like purgatory, confession to a Priest, etc. etc.

I feel that obviously any church can react however they want to this type of law, as there should always be separation of church and state, but true Christian churches would not turn away anyone in need.

Who the hell cares if you think they make it up? Yes "Damn the Catholics, they make their beliefs up!" That has nothing to do with the way Catholics act and you using it to disparage an entire sect of Christianity is nothing short of stupidity. Can't say I'm shocked as everybody loves to bash Catholics into the ground, but that is a load of crap. Yay for generalizations!

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.