By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Catholic Church: We'll Stob Being Charitable if Gay Marriage is Passed

Moongoddess256 said:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?filter=h#/pages/Revocation-of-tax-exempt-status-from-churches-engaging-in-political-action/165171987858

Group title says all.

Hmm, I wonder what their definition of political action is.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Their stance isn't hypocritical at all. Their religion states quite clearly that homosexuality is wrong. This isn't about them being good catholics. It's about them being good people. And while it's great that they are doing charitable work. It's pretty interesting that thousand year old books are leading them to state that denying gays rights is more important than helping the poor.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Dumping heaps of money into campaigning against gay rights?

[2:08:58 am] Moongoddess256: being asian makes you naturally good at ddr
[2:09:22 am] gnizmo: its a weird genetic thing
[2:09:30 am] gnizmo: goes back to hunting giant crabs in feudal Japan

I'm not here to overgeneralize:

I say just let them do whatever they want. Charity can be given to anyone of their choice. If they want to look like asses for not giving because of XYZ reasons, then let them look like asses. But when people wonder why their religious group is declining, or there is a lack of them in the future..... well just look at the factors that deterred people.

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

Moongoddess256 said:
Dumping heaps of money into campaigning against gay rights?

I suppose.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Good for the Church.

HappySqurriel said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
I say good riddance. People like helping people. If Catholic gay-hating charities disappear, non-Catholic Queer-friendly charities will replace them. I think Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have donated billions each to charity, and they're not Catholic, and they're definitely not going to stop helping people if we pass a law they don't like.

While I don’t know about Catholics in particular, I do know that charities that fall in-line with the values of Evangelical Christians and Mormons tend to have no difficulty fundraising or finding volunteers; while charities that are against the values of these religious groups have difficulty surviving without the aid of the government. I’m not religious, but I do know that these (often criticized) religions tend to volunteer and give to charity at disproportionate levels; and if a "Charity Strike" was started by the Catholic Church and followed by other denominations it is likely that charitable organizations would grind to a hault.

Realistically, I don't think this would happen because of the nature of people who volunteer, but I think you need to consider that many of the devoutly religious individuals see a greater need to volunteer; and as a result may be out working for multiple charities three or four nights a week, and these people are not easy to replace.

If somebody feels a greater need to volunteer and is volunteering for multiple charities three or four nights a week, I doubt they're going to stop due to gay marriage, even if the Catholic Church tells them to.  I highly doubt all religions in the world are going to team up against gay marriage, or team up in any way against anything for that matter.

I see no problem with this?

They have a viewpoint, the same one they have always had, and simply don't want to be forced to act against it.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Alterego-X said:
highwaystar101 said:
Alterego-X said:

I don't that the two being mentioned in the same chapter means anything, the Leviticus was written over a long timespan, not in chronological order. You can often find totally random laws written after each other.  

BTW, now that I'm thinking about it, why not? How is either bestiality, or homosexuality morally worse than the other one? 

Humans can understand and give consent, Show me how an animal can both understand what you are doing to it and give consent, and I will repeal that argument...

To be honest that is one reason out of dozens.

Animals aren't required to give consent for being butchered, and eaten by you, either. How is sex worse?

Because sex is cruelty to animals. Butchering them (if done right) shouldn't be cruel at all. If you want to have sex with a dead animal be my guest (though I will think you most odd) - however a live one is out of bounds for good reason.

@starcraft. Its hypocritical due to the fact that christian scripture is meant to be all about loving thy neighbour even if they sin and all that. When you think about it, what would Jesus do?

Fucking Hypocrite's.