By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Catholic Church: We'll Stob Being Charitable if Gay Marriage is Passed

outlawauron said:
CommonMan said:
outlawauron said:
SciFiBoy said:
what makes me angry is that in the UK they can refuse to do there job and provide services to gay people and the courts say thats a-okay because they believe in jebus

Their job? Since when is it their 'job' to provide services to anyone?

Since Jesus told them that they are responsible for the "tired, sick and poor" maybe?

Those are spiritual issues. I'm asking why an atheist considers caring for these people the job of the church, they don't get paid for it. How is it the official job of the Catholic church?

Well, to be fair, taking care of the poor is set out in the Bible to be of utmost important to the Christian:

Luke 11

37When Jesus had finished speaking, a Pharisee invited him to eat with him; so he went in and reclined at the table. 38But the Pharisee, noticing that Jesus did not first wash before the meal, was surprised.

39Then the Lord said to him, "Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. 40You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also? 41But give what is inside the dish [j] to the poor, and everything will be clean for you.

4Some of those present were saying indignantly to one another, "Why this waste of perfume? 5It could have been sold for more than a year's wages[a] and the money given to the poor." And they rebuked her harshly.

6"Leave her alone," said Jesus. "Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 7The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me. 8She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial. 9I tell you the truth, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her."

Luke 12

33Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

And on and on and on. Dozens of verses about the poor. Now - I'm unsure why an atheist cares if the church gives to the poor (after all, the God that commands Christians to give to the poor doesn't exist), but hey, nothing wrong with calling Christians on the carpet for not practicing what they preach.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

I understand that serving is one of the core values of the church, but just asking why it's their job. When it becomes your job, you're just obligated to do it and you're not really serving anymore.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
SciFiBoy said:
what makes me angry is that in the UK they can refuse to do there job and provide services to gay people and the courts say thats a-okay because they believe in jebus

Their job? Since when is it their 'job' to provide services to anyone?

There is a slightly different situation in the UK. The Church of England is state funded so they can't really go against the secular state. Although I agree with you that a private church doesn't have to provide a service to anyone they don't want to.

so if gay marrage is passed the church will then go and lose even more support by stopping charitable work,way to go

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

As a Roman-Catholic, this pisses me the fuck off!

What the hell right does religion play in politics? What gives this archdiocese the right to stop serving the community with charitable work?

I honestly don't care about anyone "loving each other" and "getting married" be it two men, two women, or a man and a women. Everyone has the right to a TAX CUT. And that's why I am for gay marriage.

Great job Archdiocese of DC. You are making the rest of us Catholics look bad. Fuckers.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
I understand that serving is one of the core values of the church, but just asking why it's their job. When it becomes your job, you're just obligated to do it and you're not really serving anymore.

I think what the Bible says is that they are the same thing. Being a Christian isn't supposed to be just milk and honey 24/7, you are obligated to help others, these are the core tenets of Jesus' teachings. That is all Jesus ever did was help the poor and destitute, the pariahs of society. If you want to call yourself a Christian, it is your God-given duty to help others. I understand why you are asking, and I'm not trying to be a dink, but this is pretty cut and dried for Christians.

Yet another reason to despise the Catholic Church.

I'm a far bigger fan of the Church of England - especially if they do go more liberal like they're threatening to.

what happened to the saying " the church never turn away anyone"

Rule of thumb, don't f*ck with the Catholic church lol

"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination." (Leviticus 20:13). "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination. Nor shall you mate with any animal, to defile yourself with it. Nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it. It is perversion. ‘Do not defile yourselves with any of these things; for by all these the nations are defiled, which I am casting out before you." (Leviticus 18:22-24). Notice that the latter Bible verses lump in homosexuality with bestiality.

OBEY!

Repent or be destroyed