By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which is moraly (not legaly) worse? Secondhand _ Pirating _ Renting_Lending

Uh, pirating, obviously.

I'm a filmmaker, writer, and gamer. Add me on Xbox Live or message me!

XBL Gamertag: StraitupBeastin

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
You must hate Ebay and Amazon.com, don't you Vlad?

I only hate people who bitch about piracy yet they go and buy used games.

If you don't hate Ebay and Amazon.com then you don't hate used games, and since you equate the two, you don't hate piracy.

If you don't hate piracy, then your motivations appear as if you are actually justifying piracy rather then condemning used gaming.

Do you hate piracy?

Do you perform piracy?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

vlad321 said:
Akvod said:
D-FENS said:
Wow, so many users on this forum are sicophants for the publishers.

It's actually everyone vs Vlad at this point in the thread O.o

Seriously tell me the difference between these two:

Piracy: Getting value of something without the person who produced the value seeing anything in return.

Used game: Getting value of something without the person who prouced the value seeing anythign in return.

I've told you the difference many, many times.

One stimulates the economy, when money changes hands, and it sanctioned by a vastly large part of the industry, and in most cases is actually depended upon by said industry through middlemen.

One stimulates nothing, no money changes hands, it's illegal, and is looked upon with disgust from everyone within an industry which requires money to function.

When I told you this, you said that the part of the industry that depends upon used gaming is stupid, middlemen are stupid, and we should all rise up and burn them.

Do you understand why your statements make me question your reasoning?

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

vlad321 said:
Akvod said:
D-FENS said:

Piracy: Getting value of something without the person who produced the value seeing anything in return.

Used game: Getting value of something without the person who prouced the value seeing anythign in return.

Piracy= Producing/Reproducing a product with IP we do not own.

Used game= Trading, giving, selling, etc a private property we own.

Akvod said:
ZorroX said:
When i`m buying a car, i get a car, not some license to drive that car. Am i right?

So why, i repeat, why with any other product it should be different???

The thread should be called: "Is it immoral to have infinitive profit from intellectual property?"

??? You have the right to own that car and do whatever you want to do with it. You don't have the right to produce the same car yourself using the technology, design, etc behind it: the IP.

"infinitive profit"- Please explain. I'm a bit lost, sorry >.<

But IF i am genius, do i have a rigty to copy a ferrari with my own hands and some materials? If not, then why i don`t have such a right after i bought a product?

Infinitve profit, it`s when you once invested in product, created it, and then started to get infinitive profit for selling it without any new investments. I mean, for creating ferari you need technology and material, for a chair you need wood and technology. But from idea you are getting money like forever? Who gave you such a right? Maybe after 5 year someone would create such technology and give it for free for society wealth. Like penicillin for example. And the whole medicine, how can anyone make money on people illness?? It`s just sick.

Anyway, who gave a right to forbid a copying?

Around the Network

People here seem pretty vigilant on downing and belittling these labled "pirates" and their belief that any and all information should be free.

I think the idea of Intellectual Property is rather a bit silly, sure it is a common practice now days to claim an idea as your's and your's alone. An idea no one else can think and act upon?

People nowdays are often forced to sign non compete clauses (these are almost entirely in place to protect intellectual property of a company to maximize its profit) in order to get a job, then limiting their freedom to find their next job.

An intellectual property is a property that can never be taken away, can be reused indefinately, and can be modified into an indefinite multitudes of other ideas to be resold again and again and again... Sounds like selling an unlimited resource at a limited resource's price. (Many useless rehashed products come to mind o.o )

If Intellectual properties were done away with (All information was free). This would free up resources often spent in redundant technology research, tens of thousands of lawsuit cases, Anti-competitive patenting, patent sitters, unemployable people, etc.

This is an interesting lecture over the legal side of Intellectual Properties http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1jdYIMKPiA

Also, here is a fair article over the global economic ramifications of patents. (and intellectual properties in general) http://fare.tunes.org/articles/patents.html  The cost to society far exceeds the benefit of the owner of the intellectual monopoly.

vlad321 said:
D-FENS said:

Once you buy a game you own it. It is your property. If you want to loan or resell it, that is fully within your rights. It is so ludicrous to even consider calling reselling games "immoral" that I scarcely know what to say in response. Should we all stop buying used cars because GM can't turn a profit despite billions in revenue? Stop swallowing the kool aid from the publishers who are whining insufferably and want to take away your personal property rights.

Let's be honest, we're not talking about supporting starving artists here, the gaming industry brings in billions of dollars, yet is so inefficiently managed that few companies turn a profit. Look at how well Nintendo runs their business, they "get" it. Companies that are hemorrhaging money do not "get" it. (How many users complain about lack of Wii 3rd party support and decisions like EA doing a "test" game with "Dead Space: On Rails Shooter"?)

If the games are good, people are going to buy them new and hang on to them (making it even harder to find used copies). If I buy a crappy game, I would like the peace of mind to know that I can resell it to recoup some of my losses, not to mention that I, like many gamers, often plow that resale money right back into new purchases.

And lending? Are you freaking serious? What, I'm somehow an immoral, mustachioed villian because I used to swap SNES cartridges with my childhood friends? Give me a break. I guess I never should have ridden my buddy's bicycle and put Schwinn out of business, or gone over his house and watched a VHS tape that I didn't own, or borrowed his "And Justice for All" cassette when my tape deck ate mine, or played his copy of Monopoly, or drank lemonade out of one of his glasses. I guess I'm just some parasitic slug on the backside of corporate America, an imorral borrower of objects--better not ask my neighbor for his chainsaw so I can cut down that leaning tree in my backyard, Stihl deserves their money same as everyone.

This is where I stopped reading. You don't udnerstand do you? Cars and video games aren't even remotely the same. Maybe if you used other digital media....

Also if I aren't supporting starving artists what the fuck is wrong with piracy then?

I didn't say anything about piracy, did I?  Feeling a might bit guilty are we?

Cars are comparable in that:

1.  Both industries have billions in revenue, yet most companies are bleeding money.

2.  Both industries have a very large secondhand market that takes away sales from the original manufacturer.

What's strange is that the auto industry embraces used car sales, making resale value and trade-ins an intrinsic part of car ownership, while the game industry wants to blame the secondhand market for lost revenue when they really should be looking at their bloated, inefficient, graphics=penile length, delusional development cycle.

Here's a fun anecdote that you'll blithely ignore: I bought Bioshock used because I didn't know what to expect and didn't want to be out $60.  I will buy Bioshock 2 new because I fully believe that the sequel will be worth it.  Used games help convert people.  Why do you think that sequels sell so much better than original IP?  Because large numbers of people have played the original, more than the number sold new (due to used sales and loaners).  That's why good IPs will sell more and more new copies with new releases, because so many people have been exposed to the game that they are willing to fork over the $ right away.

I'm really curious at this point, to know if you think that developers are losing money mostly due to these "immoral" practices, or if you might admit that the development process is a huge factor in industry losses.  (How long did it take "Too Human" to come out again?  And how good was that game?)

Akvod said:
D-FENS said:

Wow, I see that now.  I weighed in after a few pages of posts.

I don't think I'll be reading all 13 pages in any case, or much more of the latest debate as it appears rather . . . circular.  (Look, this isn't an argument.  Yes it is.  No it isn't.  Yes it is.  It's just contradiction.  No it isn't.)

ZenfoldorVGI said:
vlad321 said:
Akvod said:
D-FENS said:

I've told you the difference many, many times.

One stimulates the economy, when money changes hands, and it sanctioned by a vastly large part of the industry, and in most cases is actually depended upon by said industry through middlemen.

One stimulates nothing, no money changes hands, it's illegal, and is looked upon with disgust from everyone within an industry which requires money to function.

When I told you this, you said that the part of the industry that depends upon used gaming is stupid, middlemen are stupid, and we should all rise up and burn them.

Do you understand why your statements make me question your reasoning?

Legallity has nothing to do with it, that was ruled out in the OP.

Also it's not a huge stimulus to the industry. Middlemen aren't the ones producing the games, and  considering I have 2 gamestops within a 5 mile radius I'm thinking they are well over stimulated with their business, which you know I equate with piracy. Would it be any different if they were putting up torents on their web pages and making people pay for downlpading the .torrent file?

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

trent44 said:

If Intellectual properties were done away with (All information was free). This would free up resources often spent in redundant technology research, tens of thousands of lawsuit cases, Anti-competitive patenting, patent sitters, unemployable people, etc.

If IP rights were done away with companies would just stop innovation and research.