By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which is moraly (not legaly) worse? Secondhand _ Pirating _ Renting_Lending

You must hate Ebay and Amazon.com, don't you Vlad?

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I only hate people who bitch about piracy yet they go and buy used games.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

If you don't hate Ebay and Amazon then you're a hypocrite.

Oh shit, what am I doing in a thread that I said I was done in. O.o

As for the bag of chips thing I mentioned earlier. The chips have elements of IP with the formula used to create the chip, the bag's name and logos, etc.

Look, with your philosophy, you are currently denying the trade of ANYTHING related to IP, which is nearly everything in this mass production based market.

Akvod said:
vlad321 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

As for the bag of chips thing I mentioned earlier. The chips have elements of IP with the formula used to create the chip, the bag's name and logos, etc.

Look, with your philosophy, you are currently denying the trade of ANYTHING related to IP, which is nearly everything in this mass production based market.

I'm actually pro-piracy, jsut playing devil's advocate here.

The chips have no IP since the IP isn't the intrinsic value of them. The value is the calories in them.

Also I'm pro-piracy since having copyright at this day and age is just obsoleete lot of BS and only people who can't get themselves out of the obsolete business models complain about it. That however still doesn't mean that used game market pulls the same BS that piracy pulls on the developer.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

LOL....thats just stupid. Piracy cannot be justified. Used games can. Have you ever heard of bartering goods? Buying a game used is someone else giving up their rights to a product to another consumer. Thats not piracy. Piracy is to duplicate (which is illegal) a game. 

Example:

A man duplicates a Xbox 360 game and turns it into a file online. He then sends the file viral on the net which is downloaded by millions of computers.

This is piracy.

Buying a used game is not piracy. As I said, you must  hate Ebay and Amazon.com, because they are both perfectly legal and sell used games, movies and all. Since when were these things illegal? Never. People have been bartering and trading for currency for the longest. You're just trying to justify theivery when your real gripe is over the limited rights of digital distribution.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
vlad321 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

LOL....thats just stupid. Piracy cannot be justified. Used games can. Have you ever heard of bartering goods? Buying a game used is someone else giving up their rights to a product to another consumer. Thats not piracy. Piracy is to duplicate (which is illegal) a game. 

Example:

A man duplicates a Xbox 360 game and turns it into a file online. He then sends the file viral on the net which is downloaded by millions of computers.

This is piracy.

Buying a used game is not piracy. As I said, you must  hate Ebay and Amazon.com, because they are both perfectly legal and sell used games, movies and all. Since when were these things illegal? Never. People have been bartering and trading for currency for the longest. You're just trying to justify theivery when your real gripe is over the limited rights of digital distribution.

You don't have the RIGHT to license the IP on the disc to anyone else. The point is that someone else plays the game without the producer of the product seeing ay money, not about whether you lose tha bility to play or not.

vlad321 said:
Akvod said:
vlad321 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The chips have no IP since the IP isn't the intrinsic value of them. The value is the calories in them.

Also I'm pro-piracy since having copyright at this day and age is just obsoleete lot of BS and only people who can't get themselves out of the obsolete business models complain about it. That however still doesn't mean that used game market pulls the same BS that piracy pulls on the developer.

Stop being foolish. Buying a used game (Keywords:)sells THE SAME ONE GAME to another person. Piracy creates new duplicates out of an official copy, which is physically and legally owned by the original pirate through purchase. Therefore you are breaching the agreement between publisher and consumer to not COPY THE GAME. GAMING PIRACY ONLY AS TO DO WITH DUPLICATING THE OFFICAL PRODUCT WHICH WAS SOLD RETAIL! If a person relinquishes the rights to their used copy for a discounted sale to another person, that is their problem. That is neither morally nor legally of any consequence to the publisher. Internet pirates breach the agreement of intellectual property and copyright simultaneously.

NTSC agreement on the back of my Xbox 360 game box:

"For use with Xbox 360 (TM) entertainment systems with "NTSC" designation. Unauthorized copying, reverse engineering, transmission, public performance, rental, pay for play, or circumvention of copy protection is strictly prohibited."

It lists multiple forms of breach in agreement. You as the owner of said physical product have every right after purchase to resell, lend and play only permissable backwards compatible hardware.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
vlad321 said:
Akvod said:
vlad321 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Stop being foolish. Buying a used game (Keywords:)sells THE SAME ONE GAME to another person. Piracy creates new duplicates out of an official copy, which is physically and legally owned by the original pirate through purchase. Therefore you are breaching the agreement between publisher and consumer to not COPY THE GAME. GAMING PIRACY ONLY AS TO DO WITH DUPLICATING THE OFFICAL PRODUCT WHICH WAS SOLD RETAIL! If a person relinquishes the rights to their used copy for a discounted sale to another person, that is their problem. That is neither morally nor legally of any consequence to the publisher. Internet pirates breach the agreement of intellectual property and copyright simultaneously.

And that is why this is digital media, not physical. In pictures, food, houses, etc. Also before you start talking about agreements I posted many EULAs jsut to shut up people like you, wonder if you bothered to read them at all. In the agreement they clearly state you are not allowed to license their IP to anyone else, through sale or copy.

Also I don't think you understand that relinquishing the product doesn't mean shit. The valaue of the product is the experience, which you havd done and offering someone else that experience without paying the people who created it. You aren't allowed to do that. It's liek feeding 2 people with the same bag of chips, if you could magically refill the bag of chips, and then asking money for it.

I added more to my post. Check it out and then I will respond to your complete response.

vlad321 said:
Akvod said:
vlad321 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Chips do have IP. Ever hear Dr. Pepper, Coca Cola, or KFC boasting about their formulas? What do you think of medicines then? O.o You don't think that they have IP contained within them? The fucking ingredients used to make them? They're both same exact things, physical results of IP, just like video games.

It's just that we cannot PRODUCE or REPLICATE them ourselves. The right belongs to the producers who have the IP rights. We are within our rights, because of private property rights, to give, sell, exchange, etc our property. It's just that we don't have the right to produce the product ourselves >.<

It's not good. And you also want to support piracy? O.o

Listen, I can kinda see where you're going. IP rights was intended to allow producers to recoup the research in their IP, and that used game sales seem to backfire agains that. However, it was only an intention. The law never actually said that IP is breached if the developers don't get money. It's breached if someone uses the IP to produce the product on their own.

And I believe that private property rights easily trumps over producers getting money. Again, we would live in absolute anarchy without private property, ditto to intellectual property rights.