By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Zelda Faces Stiff Competition This Generation!

WessleWoggle said:
Chairman-Mao said:
WessleWoggle said:
Uncharted has no nostalgia factor

Yet...

Uncharted will never have a nostalgia factor... Only reason zelda has nostalgia is because it was one of my first games, it was my first SNES game, and it was my first N64 game...

What if say, Bob's first system is the PS3. His first game on the PS3 is Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

What about then? In say 10-15 years time... There will be a nostalgia factor.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
WessleWoggle said:
Chairman-Mao said:
WessleWoggle said:
Uncharted has no nostalgia factor

Yet...

Uncharted will never have a nostalgia factor... Only reason zelda has nostalgia is because it was one of my first games, it was my first SNES game, and it was my first N64 game...

What if say, Bob's first system is the PS3. His first game on the PS3 is Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

What about then? In say 10-15 years time... There will be a nostalgia factor.

No. Worlds ending in 2012... Didn't you know?

Zelda doesn't, nor ever has faced any stiff competition. As far as Uncharted 2:

A. It's one game.
B. The first one wasn't of Zelda level quality.
C. It's an entirely different genre.

Now, you could say that Uncharted 2 is better than a particular Zelda game if you'd like. But saying that Uncharted 2 is better than the greatest gaming series of all time, which happens to span many, many AAA games, including the one game that we can get the highest number of people to agree is the "best game of all time," and a series which also innovated the industry....is just flamebait.

Don't compare 1 or 2 games to the Zelda series. It's not fair to your game, and it's insulting to everyone, imo. I could compare the potroast my mom made for dinner tonight to mana from heaven, but I wouldn't really be comparing it, I'd just be using a high bar, trying to imply that my mom's potroast is so good, it can be compared to mana from heaven.

Truth is, it couldn't, and I just made that comparison to hype that potroast. I liked it, it was fantastic, and it was made by someone I love. That said, it's not god.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Zelda doesn't, nor ever has faced any stiff competition. As far as Uncharted 2:

A. It's one game.
B. The first one wasn't of Zelda level quality.
C. It's an entirely different genre.

Now, you could say that Uncharted 2 is better than a particular Zelda game if you'd like. But saying that Uncharted 2 is better than the greatest gaming series of all time, which happens to span many, many AAA games, including the one game that we can get the highest number of people to agree is the "best game of all time," and a series which also innovated the industry....is just flamebait.

Don't compare 1 or 2 games to the Zelda series. It's not fair to your game, and it's insulting to everyone, imo. I could compare the potroast my mom made for dinner tonight to mana from heaven, but I wouldn't really be comparing it, I'd just be using a high bar, trying to imply that my mom's potroast is so good, it can be compared to mana from heaven.

Truth is, it couldn't, and I just made that comparison to hype that potroast. I liked it, it was fantastic, and it was made by someone I love. That said, it's not god.

I hate it when people dont read the thread!!

This thread is focused on this generation, I did not state that Uncharted 2 is better than the Zelda Franchise nor was I comparing 1 or 2 games to the Zelda series. I was mainly pointing out that zelda faces stiff competition this generation, there has not been a Zelda game this Gen. Twilifght princess was a port, with all due respect I urge you next time to read the thread before posting!

<embed src="http://card.mygamercard.net/gears2goty/omar7700.swf" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="198" height="135">
</embed>

One thing that has gone unnoticed in this comparison is that Zelda over time, has innovated. Its first 3d adventure of Ocarina of time, LttP exists, Zelda 1 is still good, ect.

However, the ONLY complaint about Uncharted 2, and yes this is admitted by most reviewers, is that the game doesn't really innovated, but rather, it perfects.

Even some games I think are overhyped, managed to innovate in some ways. SotC and ICO both were far reaching and innovative, even if they weren't imo, good. So, I can give them props and see a comparison as a series to other innovative series from the past.

Now, Uncharted 2 borrows some of the best elements from every genre, but it doesn't innovate itself. That wasn't the intention of the game. The game is fun, the game is a blast, the game is perfect, but it's not innovative, and how can a perfect game that's not innovative compare to a perfect game that is innovative? Much less a whole series?

Anyway, I admit that the OP does try to keep the discussion JUST to the Zelda games this gen, in which case, Twilight wasn't all that innovative, though it was a great game, just like Uncharted 2. So, in that sense, TP vs Uncharted 2, I see the comparison. Still different genres though. Outside of that, I just don't agree.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
megaman.2. said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

This thread is focused on this generation, I did not state that Uncharted 2 is better than the Zelda Franchise nor was I comparing 1 or 2 games to the Zelda series. I was mainly pointing out that zelda faces stiff competition this generation, there has not been a Zelda game this Gen. Twilifght princess was a port, with all due respect I urge you next time to read the thread before posting!

Yeah, I read that. I just wanted to point out that if you were comparing such things, Uncharted 2, or any game, would be seriously and utterly pwnd.

So, back to what you're saying. Uncharted 2 faces stiff competition from a Gamecube port. Yes, I agree.

Edit: If you do think Uncharted 2 is much better than Zelda this gen, then I think you should come out and say it. I don't understand why you framed it in the context of "Zelda faces tough competition" so passive-agressively. If you DO think that Uncharted 1 and 2 only "give stiff competition" to Zelda, when the only Zelda games this gen have been a below average DS adventure and a Gamecube port, then you aren't really giving much props to Uncharted 2, are you? Aren't you, kinda, flaming Uncharted 2? Or, are you speaking on the upcoming Zelda game, and somehow implying that it...has something to prove...

Wait, that's it, isn't it?

You've implied that Zelda has something prove.

Do you believe that?

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
megaman.2. said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Yeah, I read that. I just wanted to point out that if you were comparing such things, Uncharted 2, or any game, would be seriously and utterly pwnd.

So, back to what you're saying. Uncharted 2 faces stiff competition from a Gamecube port. Yes, I agree.

lool no, in this moment in time u2 has no competition also many dont regard as an actual new zelda game because its a port. We have to wait til 2010

<embed src="http://card.mygamercard.net/gears2goty/omar7700.swf" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="198" height="135">
</embed>

megaman.2. said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
megaman.2. said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

lool no, in this moment in time u2 has no competition also many dont regard as an actual new zelda game because its a port. We have to wait til 2010

So, in your opinion, does Zelda as a series, have something to prove to you?

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Zelda will always be hailed as the best

Uncharted definitely qualifies more for the action genre (a point which has been well run into the ground).

There really hasn't been a solid, non-sandbox adventure game this generation yet (though splitting hairs between action and adventure is a very subjective process).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.