By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Yamauchi: Gran Turismo 5 GRAPHICS = BETTER than REALITY -- wow!!

Yamauchi: Gran Turismo 5 'Better Than Reality'

Keith Hennessey 17:15, Thursday 8 October 2009

Game creator discusses Gran Turismo visuals

With Forza 3 Motorsport reviews out today, we felt it was only fair to give Kazunori Yamauchi, creator of its main competitor Gran Turismo 5, a chance to talk about his game and he didn’t hold back.

In an exclusive interview with NowGamer, the man from Polyphony Digital asserted that Gran Turismo 5 not only looks good but it looks ‘better than reality’.

“We consider reality under the best and most aesthetically pleasing conditions”

"'Better than reality' – yeah, that's one way of putting it. In a way, it's kind of a given that it's going to look better than reality. The thing about reality is that the criteria for looking "real" are actually a lot stricter and volatile than you'd expect. The way the sun shines, reflects off something, the way it lights scenery – we seldom have the opportunity to see what we consider "reality" under the best and most aesthetically pleasing conditions.”

He went on to say: “Every time we go out to the circuit and take photos of cars, we get that same impression again. When you see a race on television, compared to a race in a game, you realise that the reality isn't as shiny or pleasant as the game. However, these "best conditions" do indeed exist. They happen every once in a while. Maybe, once a year, you'll be watching a race on TV, or you'll be outside, and a cloud will move in an ideal direction, and the sun will shine down at a perfect angle, and maybe just for a moment you'll have this beautiful scene right in front of you.”

To read our recent preview of Gran Turismo 5 that’s also better than reality click here.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1461/yamauchi-gran-turismo-5-better-than-reality

I guess its BE COCKY about your RACING SIM DAY!

But it looks STUNNING!

but to be BRUTALLY honest, I don't think he meant that literally, BUT EVEN UNDER the best conditions in "REAL LIFE", I doubt GT5 would look as good as it would in REAL LIFE under those "BEST" conditions!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Shall I alert God?

4 ≈ One

Just your everyday PR. But the game does look great.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

^ He's distracted playing an advanced copy

@CGI

didn't we deduce that in some places IT LOOKS LIKE REAL LIFE

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

yea ok mate

Can't really argue with what he says.

I think he means that in a game, you can control the environment (where the clouds are, the sun, etc.). And because of that, he can make things look better than their reality counterpart.

Of course, the game does not look more realistic than reality...because, that is impossible.

I'll believe when Hideo Kojima agrees.

4 ≈ One

What he meant is that "the game looks better than the way reality usually does".

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.