By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Yamauchi: Gran Turismo 5 GRAPHICS = BETTER than REALITY -- wow!!

Baroque_Dude said:
Son1x said:

That statement reminds me of this pic.

Oh, they used quincux AA... AGAIN!! Everything's washed out and blurred.

Those floor textures suck aswel.

OT: I already find quite a few games more visually pleasing than reality. There are tons of them. Most of them just don't go for the realistic look. Games like Prince of Persia, Metal Gears Solid 4 and heck, even Tekken5DR Online, a PS3 port of a PS2 games seems visually pleasing to me. May not be much now but back on the PS2, that game was beautiful. I still think it looks great.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

Well, I can't fault him, but by that logic super mario brothers 3 had better graphics than reallity. I mean, it was never foggy or anything in that game. It seems a bit pointless really.

I blame Wii Fit...+!!!

Why can't you guys fathom looking better than reality? It isn't that difficult of a concept. Real life isn't perfect, whereas in a game you can make the conditions perfect. That is all he is saying. That, and the fact that the game looks stunning.

A lot of people are mistaking artistic direction with what Yamauchi really means.

He's trying to say that the real world doesn't always create an ideal image, and he's absolutely right. Sometimes a photo will look bland, other times it will look amazing. With a videogame, they can make that picture look amazing far more often.

The human eye likes higher contrast, for whatever reason. We associate a better picture on our TV with higher contrast, that's why I've seen 720p televisions outdo 1080p televisions in reviews. That's why they use digital color "correction" with a lot of movies now (such as Lord of the Rings). The grass looks greener, the light glints off a surface that much more, the shadows are more prominent... the list goes on and on.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d