By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3>Wii In Japan this Week, DESPITE Wii Price Cut - thoughts!!??

So many people underestimated the PS3.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
c0rd said:

Not a surprise, after seeing the numbers PS3 put up last week.

The Wii did about as expected, I'd say. I don't think the PS3 can sustain sales as high as the Wii in the holidays, though. We'll have to wait and see.

With Tekken 6, Final Fantasy XIII it'll do fine. Maybe not as high as the Wii, but it'll do good.

I don't think anybody questions that much.

Just commenting for the PS3 vs Wii race for Japan 09', I suppose. Unless the PS3 starts dropping faster soon, or the Wii explodes with NSMBWii, it probably takes the year. Will be fun to watch.

Sony won't find true leadership again. I'm gonna buy a PS3 because it's what I personally want, but universal law says Sony can no longer be in a leadership position consistently.

The problem is they're doing too well, and in so doing artificially pulling industry convergence away from forming under a new leadership. It's holding everything back basically.

I think the current form is bound to end, and a new company will take over. I think gaming is best under entertainment(Sony/Nintendo), but it's looking more and more likely that a technology company will take it over.

I find it surprising the PS3 held and PSP rose as much as it did.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Good god those are some bad 360 sales. It makes you wonder who exactly is purchasing the system over there. Come to think of it, it's kind of impressive that the 360 is in second place despite basically only being able to compete on two continents. 

Around the Network

It just goes to show you that consumer perception is the most important factor in sales. Everyone thinks Playstation when they think gaming, it's still the case today clearly. As long as the Wii and Xbox are still around and getting support I'm happy. If not, I won't be gaming anymore.

Thoughts? Won't stay like that for long.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

WOW

That guy who had the crazy bet of ps3 outselling the wii in japan in december might have a chance after all.

"Kinect" Games I am really excited about (Click for videos)

Kinectimals        Dance Central      Kinect-Sports   Kinect-Adventures    Your Shape       Kinect-Forza

Owner of :   slim 1000 +  80GB DSlite

CGI-Quality said:

@ Carl

Pretty much. With the sales of the gen though, and Sony's craptastic marketing thus far, I can partially see why though. Regardless, it's shattered most of the doubt

Yes I wouldn't call it under-estimating, I'd call it COMMON SENSE

Wii was the console that sold way more than the competition & DOUBLEd them combined in weekes when no games were on it

I remember GIFS when GTA4 launched with PS360 Sales saying "GTA4 month = biggest game of this gen" & the wii sales still way above them saying....."just another month"

After seeing Wii sales in that form & PS3 sales so low, OFCOURSE we will expect ps3 sales to not do great.....it wasn't under-estimating, it was using the sales data we had & then making a logical prediction.

Yes we were proven wrong & PS3 Slim shot past everyones expectations.....but its PS3's fault for setting the expectations so low in the first place.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

outlawauron said:
I find it surprising the PS3 held and PSP rose as much as it did.

Price cut for the PSP as well.