By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Think any console will sell over 1 million WW in one week this holiday?

So I was just wondering. I was looking at the last holiday season. Looks like the Wii had a peak of 615,000 Worldwide in one week. We've all heard Reggie's quote about there being more Wiis this year than last. So what do you think? Is it possible? NOTE: This will be done quite easily for the DS. I am looking mainly at the consoles, not handhelds.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Around the Network

I would say yes, but it's a close call. I believe that Nintendo has stockpiled some Wiis for this year holiday during the year, and will be ready to ship them worldwide...
The real question is if there's a million people going for it?!?!

Could be close...

PS: DS will probably be around the 2 million mark!

Yes, Wii will sell above 1M a week at least once this year. It is the only console that will really sell well in all territories so it "only" needs to average 334k per region to get there. Of course DS might be doing it for something like 6 weeks in a row.

The DS sold 5 million in December last year (most of which will have been within the period before christmas, less than 4 weeks.) So yes the DS is a definate. I doubt it will be for 6 weeks in a row (it was only 3 weeks in a row last year)...4 weeks in a row is possible though.
Wii could manage 1 week over 1 million, maybe 2 if there is massive supply (ie 7 million supply for Nov/Dec...i'm guessing 6 million though)

Actually i have just checked the day of the week the 25th is on, it's a Tuesday, so i doubt DS will manage 4 weeks because it wont manage 1 million on christmas eve alone (monday)....although the US charts now end on Saturday, so they get the Sunday and Monday.....hmmm, if christmas had been on a Wednesday or Thursday i'd have said yes to 4 weeks over 1 million....but i doubt it.

DS : yes
PSP : yes
Wii : yes
X360 : ... has a chance
PS3 : ... well , same here :?

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
DS : yes
PSP : yes
Wii : yes
X360 : ... has a chance
PS3 : ... well , same here :?

DS : definately
Wii : probably

PSP managed 680k last year for it's best week, i know the recent revision has increased sales a bit but i would say the PSP has only a small chance at 1million in a week.

The 360 last year, with massive supply, way more than demand, managed 560k, there is no chance

PS3 has just as much chance as 360, which is none.

Wii: Yes. If they release over 1m units in any given holiday week, they will sell.
360/PS3: Both will be close, but will probably top out at around 800k.

Microsoft has a real chance given the lineup, bundles, lower price. Many of the titles will definitely incentive more consumers this holiday season. I expect the sales to be better. The only question is will they be good enough. I think Mass Effect, and the trickle down titles just might get it there.

The Wii I am not sure I have to see if it comes out of its funk in Japan. I want some confirmation that the market in Japan has not developed a love it and leave it mentality. I am cautious about the Wii especially given that it thwarts analysis. Solid AAA games sell poorly compared to party games. Metroid losing to Mario Party. However there is a solid party game in the lineup in Mario and Sonic. So That might spur the sales over a million for a week. Just not comfortable with what is moving this console is it the novelty, the price, or the first party potential. The first can wear off. The second is under assault, the third might actually do well.

The PS3 has less then a snowballs chance in hell. The price is still higher, there is no innovation, and there are few highly anticipated software titles. Were I uncertain about what is moving the Wii. I am completely dumb founded by what moves the PS3. Further more a poor year is not something to inspire consumer confidence.

Wii has a really solid week in the mix. One that will see Galaxy in North America and the Olympics in Japan. Should do a million as long as consumers sustain the current demand.

Xbox 360 has a decent chance the week of Black Friday. Mass Effect is going to move consoles that week, and due to the lineup prior to that the 360 could make that even without Japan. Perhaps the lower price will keep fewer consumers awahouy with the value of bundles. Realistically though Microsoft really should consider another price cut to get into prime real estate. The pro is still a hundred dollars off of the Wii in North America. Were they to cut the difference in half the casual consumer would have a choice on their hands.

PS3 has no perfect storm moment short of slashing prices again. There just isn't anything to work with here. The only sales pitch is a high definition player, and the machine is not the cheapest in the market.

Some stats from the VGC comparison charts:

PS2 has had a total of 13 weeks with more than 1 million sales worldwide;
0 in its 1st christmas
2 in the second
5 in the third
4 in the fourth
0 in the fifth
2 in the sixth
0 in the seventh.............Not a contender for this year then.

GBA has had 5 weeks with worldwide sales above 1 million;
1 in the first
2 in the second
1 in the third
1 in the fourth
0 in the rest.

DS has so far had 5 weeks of 1 million +
0 in it's first
2 in the second
3 in the third
........contender for a possible 4 weeks this year, if not then a definate 3.

For GC and X-box i dont think the charts have "others" data for but the best weeks they managed without it were the x-box launch with 625k (also at christmas time by the looks of it) and 622k the GC third christmas, however looking at the hardware shipments page it is doubtful PAL sales were ever more than 200k at any christmas for a single week....so 800k max.

i really dont see how the 360 has more than a tiny chance at managing this Dodece, i would be suprised if it managed more than 900k, and i think 700k is more probable. when is black Friday btw?

PSP has a better chance, but i still think it might only be managed by DS and Wii.

Also i don't understand the differences in your PS3/360 guesses, from January through September the 360 has sold 3.66 million compared to the PS3 at 3.65, they are extremely close....ok the 360 has a better christmas line-up but that can't equate to "snowballs chance in hell" against "decent chance"
Over November and December i think the 360 and PS3 will have very similar number sold though maybe 360 will have a higher best week, but slightly less on other weeks to compensate.

edit, also looking at PSPs best week (800k) that was inthe week ending the 25th december, which happens to include all the most frantic shopping days, 
So that year, the PSP managed 3.5 million over November and December, and 800k best week,....yet you expect the 360 to top 1 million in a week, despite the fact that the weeks are not so well aligned (christmas eve is a Monday so wont count in Eu/Jp sales for the previous week, and the Sunday wont count for America;360s best area) and also i doubt the 360 will manage 3.5 million over the two months.

Being that the XBox 360 and PS3 don't (typically) get close to 1 Million sold worldwide in a given month I can't see them getting close to 1 Million sold worldwide in a given week ...