By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most over rated games of the year candidates for 2009.

1. Killzone 2.

Reason: This game was over hyped but to me I returned it within 3 days having played the lack lustre campaign. The online team base style was not to my liking and I was bored very quickly with this game. The controls of this game are for an acquired taste. To the people who like it it is one of the best games on the PS3.

2. Resident Evil 5

Reason: Well it has received mixed reviews from media and gamers around the world. I did not have the time to play this game yet but the disappointment of GTA IV put me off this game.

3. Halo 3:ODST:

Reason: Another Halo game but will it live up to its sales expectations of the previous Halo games? The online modes are going to have to offer something different from Halo 3 to maintain people's interest.

4. Uncharted 2:

Reason: Rumoured to be The best game on the PS3 bar none according to some sources of the media. Generation leap upon Uncharted. Could it outsell Uncharted in sales or become a AAA game which Uncharted fell agonisingly short of?

5. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2:

Reason: It has to live up to the high expectations its predecessor Call of Duty 4:Modern Warfare set back in 2007 being the 2007 Game of the Year. Anything short of being game of the year 2009 and not matching Call of Duty 4 in sales it would of fallen short of our lofty expectations.

A few others including (FFXIII, Assassins Creed 2, Gran Turismo 5 and Forza 3) could be added to the list but here are the 5 candidates. What is the most over rated game in 2009? Unreleased games for 2009 have been included due to them being among the 5  biggest console games of 2009. I may have to end up making a   top 10 list of the most over rated games in 2009 and see which game gets the title.

Popular big name titles exclusive or multiplatform titles may get high sales and get high reviews. To most they are loved by gamers but there are some haters to every big game.  The critics who regard some games as being over rated which are undeserving of their success. It is all a matter of opinion and taste. Halo 3, Gears of War, Final Fantasy VII, GTA IV, etc all have their fans and the haters.

2009 will need to be over before we know which game was the most over rated game for 2009.

Most over rated games of the previous three year winners are: 2008 = GTA IV, 2007 = Halo 3, 2006 = Gears of War.

Around the Network

killzone for sure. RE5 absolutely.

Now edit out the last 3 because they havent even released yet. what the hell.

EDIT:

I'll try to save the thread.

1) Killzone 2: Just simply impossible to live up the hype. And its take on realistic feeling controls seemed kind of a burden more to me than more immersive which totally ruined the vastness of online and solid campaign and other gameplay mechanics.

2) Prototype. It totally fell into the shadow of infamous which was pretty much bette rin everyway and far less hyped d/t it being an exclusive.

3) RE5. I despised not being able to shoot and move i sold it the day i bought it. I didnt feel i was in control of my character. Controls were bad bad bad.

4) The Conduit. This is more of a forum hyped game and even IGN as it didnt really get great reviews but the lack of 1:1 support made it really feel sort of bleh to me. It didnt really immerse me and didnt add much to the genre for as much as it was being hailed as the reason why FPS should be done on the wii. Not even the best FPS on the console.

5) Ghostbuster. Got old relatively quikly and if it didnt have the original casts voices the game would have scored 2 points lower on its gameplay merits, imo. Too repetative.

should be FFXIII... edit sorry i thought this was over hype after reading the list 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Did you make this yourself, because some of the descriptions are downright hilarious!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

How dare you put Uncharted 2 on that list.
You just lost all my respect.

Around the Network

WoW 3 of those arnt even out yet and alrdy considered overrated....

Halo Wars.

why bother, RE5 by a mile

its been a weird year, i can't think of overrated games for 09

How can ODST, Modern Warfare 2 and Uncharted 2 be overrated when they don't even have ratings yet?