By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will Nintendo do now?

They should make a permanent bundle with wm+ and wii sports resort (and the clasic) for $250 or $220

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network

Nintendo should definitely lower the price ASAP. There is no way Nintendo is going to meet their sales projections if they don't cut the price. If Nintendo sticks with the current price I wouldn't doubt the HD twins will take 60 - 70% console sales for the holidays.

Nintendo should keep pushing with the momentum they have going now. But I doubt Nintendo will do anything meaningful to boost sales this year. They riding high on pride on the success of Wii and Nintendo is known to be stubborn. I think it's going end up bitting them in the butt.

Seriously, I don't know if Nintendo still is in control of the situation. I used to argue in their favor, that they'd surely be secretly developing fantastic games for the moment when Wii sales would start to drop. But now we're 3 years in the cycle, and there hasn't been a Nintendo game worth buying since Mario Kart Wii - which will be 1 1/2 years old when NSMB Wii launches.

My girlfriend is no gamer at all, but recently she actually asked if we should go and buy a game to play together. Twice we returned from Gamestop empty-handed, cause the Wii shelf consisted of 100% rubbish I wouldn't want to play. Not only Nintendo's own games, of course, 3rd parties are even worse. Is there a single Square/Enix Wii game that doesn't look like it was made for 8 year olds?
Nintendo's GamesCom booth was a bore, too... 50% Mario&Sonic2, lots of WSR and WF+. The only good Wii game was, again, NSMB Wii.

And what will be after NSMB Wii? I'm desperately waiting for SMG2, but I guess it won't release before winter 2010... and don't get me started on Zelda, when will that game hit the stores? 2012?!? I need my Zelda fix. Or something similar! I want a big, epic adventure to play all night. Sigh... back then, on the SNES, there always were tons of games I was interested in. Now I'm having trouble finding a single one. Probably it's just me getting old. Or cold Zelda turkey.

Back on topic: Considering the amount of money Nintendo must have made this generation, it boggles my mind that they were not able to churn out both, a ton of casual games AND a stream of traditional games. They should have, cause I'm really afraid it's going to bite them in the arse.

They will do A) nothing or B) lower the price *yawn*.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

They don't need to do anything to maintain first place.

zzyoshiman said:
finalrpgfantasy said:
they should lower the price to 200$.

yeah, probably

This.

I agree with your post, OP, Nintendo probably does have something up it's sleeve. But they are so much more secretive about their stuff so it's hard to tell right now.

Around the Network

Have a giant moneyfight!

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

They'll do what they've done this entire generation. Make more software,

OoSnap said:

Nintendo should definitely lower the price ASAP. There is no way Nintendo is going to meet their sales projections if they don't cut the price. If Nintendo sticks with the current price I wouldn't doubt the HD twins will take 60 - 70% console sales for the holidays.

Nintendo should keep pushing with the momentum they have going now. But I doubt Nintendo will do anything meaningful to boost sales this year. They riding high on pride on the success of Wii and Nintendo is known to be stubborn. I think it's going end up bitting them in the butt.

This is exactly what I think. I don't see them reaching the projections or getting anywhere close, because they are too proud to do anything that is against their own rules.

And those saying that Nintendo will be just fine without doing anything, maybe you should do your research before talking. Doing nothing will mean projections not met at all. Believing that 2 games, one of which is priced higher than it's predecessor and it's only an expansion, will make sales explode and make the Wii sell 4 more million units this Holiday than the last is completely irrational and shows that sometimes people are indeed blinded by their favoritism. Wii is selling in average 130k units less every week compared to the same weeks last year. Wii is on a downwards trend and momentum is slowing. I ask, why in the hell will sales improve astronomically all of a sudden with the release of only 1 game (NSMBWii)?

WSR had no long effect on sales, the spike was temporary and sales are already back into the sub-200k levels and going down every week- Wii Fit plus will sell mostly to Wii Fit owners since it's 20$ as a standalone game, but sales for the balance board bundle will be hurt and possibly end up driving potential buyers away since the price has been RAISED. Wii Fit Plus will cost 100$ as opposed to Wii Fit which costed 90$, and the game is basically the same game with a bunch of new activities. How is that supposed to drive sales? I honestly see no boost at all from it.

NSMBWii will be the only one in charge to boost sales, but it's impossible for it to manage to make up for all the millions lost YoY compared to last year. If they want to get at least close to their projection they will have to lower the price, no other option available. Just remember that both PS3 and the 360 are seeing their momentum rise because of the moves made by MS and Sony, while Wii's momentum is slowly but surely dying. I don't doubt Nintendo will win this Holiday season, but many investors and shareholders will be disappointed and scared because Nintendo will miss their forecast by a lot.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

What can they do? The main complaint about the console has been the lack of what people call "hardcore" or "past core" games (games that were mainstream in the past).

Unless they have a bunch of those games coming out, I really don't think a price drop will do much except lower the perceived value of the system.

Wii fit + may potentially be big for them along with a couple other "non-games" because their biggest supporters this gen have been traditionally non-gamers, and professionals who don't have time to game. The more pressure that Nintendo feels, the more they are going to target those demographics... vitality sensor, wii fit +, WSR and so on.

kopstudent89 said:

Thoughts?

I think Nintendo will continue to make more money than every other videogame company combined makes off videogame and hardware sales.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org