By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will Nintendo do now?

trestres said:
mortono said:
They give out projections because they are a publicly traded company so it's sort of a requirement.

But if they are already sitting on vast cash reserves from the last 3 years, and their stock goes down as a result of an under-performing FY, why should they care?

Oh yeah, they are sitting on a huge pile of money, so why even make games and consoles anymore?

I didn't say that they would stop making games or consoles. I said that they are probably going to focus their energy on the next FY rather than hastily reacting within the current FY.

Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid: Other M, Wii Vitality, and hopefully Zelda Wii and Pikmin 3. Of course that's only what we've heard about.

Around the Network

They can't just not do anything, i don't think they are that stubborn. If sales were slowing down at a weekly rate of 10 percent, i would agree it ain't a biggie. But it's decreasing at rates of 30-50% and you have to wonder, isnt that too much?

However they haven't panicked yet, and the only thing they've done is release software. Their first move was Japan with the bundle, and that was when Japan was starting to get really tired. We're now seeing a very good lineup for the Wii these holidays, so for once it looks better in Japan than anywhere else.

In the West however, the Wii held up better, but it's starting to wither right now. The only major release this year was WSR, and to be honest if you own a handheld 1 or 2 games are enough, however consoles wise you need to constantly release games, and that hasn't benn happening.

All in all said, i just feel they're too confident about their projection, it's either worrisome if they were to believe Wii Fit+ and NSMB are enough, or it means they have something big. I think it's the latter, because lets not forget they had their biggest opening 3 months this year(January-March 2009), so they need to make up a lot or else 17 million looks like a possibility for the fiscal year, which would be a disaster. So saying Nintendo wouldn't do anything is probably naive, i think it's time to move, i think they've been holding out for too long and they could still do a lot! Bundles seem like a minimum right now, so we'll see

trestres said:

This is exactly what I think. I don't see them reaching the projections or getting anywhere close, because they are too proud to do anything that is against their own rules.

And those saying that Nintendo will be just fine without doing anything, maybe you should do your research before talking. Doing nothing will mean projections not met at all. Believing that 2 games, one of which is priced higher than it's predecessor and it's only an expansion, will make sales explode and make the Wii sell 4 more million units this Holiday than the last is completely irrational and shows that sometimes people are indeed blinded by their favoritism. Wii is selling in average 130k units less every week compared to the same weeks last year. Wii is on a downwards trend and momentum is slowing. I ask, why in the hell will sales improve astronomically all of a sudden with the release of only 1 game (NSMBWii)?

WSR had no long effect on sales, the spike was temporary and sales are already back into the sub-200k levels and going down every week- Wii Fit plus will sell mostly to Wii Fit owners since it's 20$ as a standalone game, but sales for the balance board bundle will be hurt and possibly end up driving potential buyers away since the price has been RAISED. Wii Fit Plus will cost 100$ as opposed to Wii Fit which costed 90$, and the game is basically the same game with a bunch of new activities. How is that supposed to drive sales? I honestly see no boost at all from it.

NSMBWii will be the only one in charge to boost sales, but it's impossible for it to manage to make up for all the millions lost YoY compared to last year. If they want to get at least close to their projection they will have to lower the price, no other option available. Just remember that both PS3 and the 360 are seeing their momentum rise because of the moves made by MS and Sony, while Wii's momentum is slowly but surely dying. I don't doubt Nintendo will win this Holiday season, but many investors and shareholders will be disappointed and scared because Nintendo will miss their forecast by a lot.

Well, whatever you think about the results of sequels to some of the best selling games of all time, including Wii Sports Resort (which has only had 5 weeks in the US and Europe and is showing very strong legs, the only place greater than that is in Japan and if you hadn't noticed, the Wii is selling much better than it was earlier this year there), the solution will only ever be software. Price cutting and bundling are effectively conceding that you can't maintain the Wii's value. The only way to truly increase the value (rather than reduce the price to match the fallen value) is to offer new must-have software, new reasons to want the Wii or to continue playing the Wii you already have.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

^^Still time reduces value, cuz technology advances, people move on and so. It's good they're trying to do software, rly it is, but right now it doesn't seem enough for people unfortunately

The advancement of technology has nothing to do with it, there would need to be a replacement to the Wii that has become affordable for that to be a factor.

I'm half expecting someone to point out the PS3, let me pre-empt you. The PS3 does not offer the same values as the Wii, and there's been an affordable equivilant ever since the arcade came out.

Yes people move on, but the point of new software is that it's new, it brings new reasons to want an old product.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

I expect Nintendo are definatly up to something. I refuse to believe that they expect software will help them to meet their projections. My guess, would be an upgrade of some kind. Nintendo love to modify their products and release add on's. For example the Super CD, DS Lite, DSi.

If Nintendo drops the price of the Wii or releases new colors, it will be because of sales and not anything MS or Sony does.

@Redinker
Is what i think. Dsi worked great for DS, and in a recent statement they said it is selling faster than Ds fat and DS Lite...but what can they add to Wii? The DVD player is not enough, and different colors are good but will they move millions? I don't think so. The Wii HD is a thing that can do worse things for them that good ones. One month away from the truth...i can't wait anymore!!

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

ElRhodeo said:
Seriously, I don't know if Nintendo still is in control of the situation. I used to argue in their favor, that they'd surely be secretly developing fantastic games for the moment when Wii sales would start to drop. But now we're 3 years in the cycle, and there hasn't been a Nintendo game worth buying since Mario Kart Wii - which will be 1 1/2 years old when NSMB Wii launches.

My girlfriend is no gamer at all, but recently she actually asked if we should go and buy a game to play together. Twice we returned from Gamestop empty-handed, cause the Wii shelf consisted of 100% rubbish I wouldn't want to play. Not only Nintendo's own games, of course, 3rd parties are even worse. Is there a single Square/Enix Wii game that doesn't look like it was made for 8 year olds?
Nintendo's GamesCom booth was a bore, too... 50% Mario&Sonic2, lots of WSR and WF+. The only good Wii game was, again, NSMB Wii.

And what will be after NSMB Wii?
I'm desperately waiting for SMG2, but I guess it won't release before winter 2010... and don't get me started on Zelda, when will that game hit the stores? 2012?!? I need my Zelda fix. Or something similar! I want a big, epic adventure to play all night. Sigh... back then, on the SNES, there always were tons of games I was interested in. Now I'm having trouble finding a single one. Probably it's just me getting old. Or cold Zelda turkey.

Back on topic: Considering the amount of money Nintendo must have made this generation, it boggles my mind that they were not able to churn out both, a ton of casual games AND a stream of traditional games. They should have, cause I'm really afraid it's going to bite them in the arse.

They will do A) nothing or B) lower the price *yawn*.

Metroid other m, Trauma team, The grinder, super mario galaxy 2 yes, no more heroes 2, red steel 2, and many more unannounced games, such as from sora and retro.  Nintendo wasn't at gamescom were they?  and thery have they're conference this October.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Nintendogamer said:
ElRhodeo said:
Seriously, I don't know if Nintendo still is in control of the situation. I used to argue in their favor, that they'd surely be secretly developing fantastic games for the moment when Wii sales would start to drop. But now we're 3 years in the cycle, and there hasn't been a Nintendo game worth buying since Mario Kart Wii - which will be 1 1/2 years old when NSMB Wii launches.

My girlfriend is no gamer at all, but recently she actually asked if we should go and buy a game to play together. Twice we returned from Gamestop empty-handed, cause the Wii shelf consisted of 100% rubbish I wouldn't want to play. Not only Nintendo's own games, of course, 3rd parties are even worse. Is there a single Square/Enix Wii game that doesn't look like it was made for 8 year olds?
Nintendo's GamesCom booth was a bore, too... 50% Mario&Sonic2, lots of WSR and WF+. The only good Wii game was, again, NSMB Wii.

And what will be after NSMB Wii?
I'm desperately waiting for SMG2, but I guess it won't release before winter 2010... and don't get me started on Zelda, when will that game hit the stores? 2012?!? I need my Zelda fix. Or something similar! I want a big, epic adventure to play all night. Sigh... back then, on the SNES, there always were tons of games I was interested in. Now I'm having trouble finding a single one. Probably it's just me getting old. Or cold Zelda turkey.

Back on topic: Considering the amount of money Nintendo must have made this generation, it boggles my mind that they were not able to churn out both, a ton of casual games AND a stream of traditional games. They should have, cause I'm really afraid it's going to bite them in the arse.

They will do A) nothing or B) lower the price *yawn*.

Metroid other m, Trauma team, The grinder, super mario galaxy 2 yes, no more heroes 2, red steel 2, and many more unannounced games, such as from sora and retro.  Nintendo wasn't at gamescom were they?  and thery have they're conference this October.

Sure they were at gamescom, I was there & at their booth. And it was 75% WSR, WF+ and M&S2.

Of the games you mentioned, most are from genres I'm not interested in (Grinder, No more heroes 2, Trauma Team). Played the Red Steel 2 demo, it's quite good. I'll give Other M a try although I didn't enjoy the Prime games, cause it looks more fun (I suck at FPS). But it won't be released before holiday 2010 either, right?

So... right now it looks like all I'm gonna buy is NSMB Wii in 2009, SMG2 (maybe Other M) in 2010 and Zelda in 2011-12. 

But I do admit that, at least partially, my personal taste is to blame. If I was interested in typical "mature" games, I'd have a lot more choices (Metroid Prime, Conduit and other High Voltage games, Resident Evil, ...). 

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii)