By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I sincerely hope Sony didn't lose too much money on the PS3 Slim launch.

^^ I'm stuck with the fatty :(

Around the Network
dbot said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
inverted3reality said:
Lets just pretend the X BOX project hasn't netted Microsoft 10billion losses.

Oh, just because I didn't mention it doesn't mean I'm ignoring that either. It's just their system has been profitable for a while (and if they're smart, the next one will be profitable from day one), and I was hoping Sony would follow suit, but I don't know if that will even happen by the end of next year.

Microsoft has posted 2 consecutive quarterly losses, and with the Elite price drop, they are well on their way to more losses.  The data does not support your statement.  Don't feel bad for Sony, they just sold 500k consoles in a week.  I think they will be just fine.

That doesn't mean the 360 is sold at a loss, which is what I mean about the PS3.

And selling that many in a major move doesn't mean much unless the sales can be maintained well.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

consoles almost always rely on software.. unless ofcourse your system gets uber pirated (cough cough, DC,360).. and since no one has cracked the ps3 yet, which is really weird... software shd help sony sail through the troubled finances sea...

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

arsenicazure said:
consoles almost always rely on software.. unless ofcourse your system gets uber pirated (cough cough, DC,360).. and since no one has cracked the ps3 yet, which is really weird... software shd help sony sail through the troubled finances sea...

The problem is it hasn't. I can't believe many of you are forgetting Sony ALREADY was trying to use software to make up for the PS3 losses. How can you think it's suddely going to start working now?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

The PS3 probably sells at a profit in Europe. 300 euros is $420, which is more than the PS3 was BEFORE the price cut. £250 is no small amount either, it's $409.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:
The PS3 probably sells at a profit in Europe. 300 euros is $420, which is more than the PS3 was BEFORE the price cut. £250 is no small amount either, it's $409.

That kind of ignores that there might be reasons other than incresed revenue for the higher prices. Some countries tax systems more over there, for one thing.

I personally bought my ps3 a few weeks ago, because i wanted the fat one (just like the way it looks and I had a spare 320gb hdd).

So far I've bought

WipEout HD
WipEout HD Fury
Soldner-X
Super Stardust HD
Shatter
Battlefield: 1943
PixelJunk: Eden
PixelJunk: Monster
Grand Theft Auto 4
Metal Gear Solid 4
inFAMOUS
Uncharted
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty
Batman: Arkham Asylum

Going to pick up a few more PSN games and LBP: GOTY tomorrow. I also have 2 controllers, a sony component cable and a new sony bravia 52" Tv.

I also am going to pick up FF7 Advent Children Complete, The Dark Knight and a bunch of other Blu-Ray movies.

Trust me, they are making profit, I'm not alone in waiting for this price drop.

Sorry, but unless you can prove most PS3 owners bought as much as you, they aren't making a profit based on your own anecdote.

You can't make this system viable when it's already proven you can lose more than you can gain (PS3, Xbox, and Xbox 360 all losing billions).

I'm not saying most do, Im just saying that they do get things for their consoles. People don't buy it for nothing.

Of course they do. But the point is that Sony relied on it too much this time, and it's still risky to rely on it even more.