By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I sincerely hope Sony didn't lose too much money on the PS3 Slim launch.

tibisor said:
heruamon said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
heruamon said:
The idea is to make it up on software sales...and DLC to keep Home PSN free.

Do you really think I don't know that's what they're hoping? Did you even read the OP (not counting the second paragraph that I just edited in)?

Yep...I was reinforcing what you posted, and amplifying it with the DLC as well.  Sony is treating the PS brand as a package, tying PSP and PS3 thru PSN.  At this moment, PSN is free, and adding more features at a cost that Sony has to de-fray thru some means.  I just didn’t recall you saying anything about DLC before, so harm dude.  I don’t know what kinda cost modeling Sony has been doing, but we will see the results in the spring qtr.  With the launch of a Halo game, M$ EDD will mostly likely post a profit, and Nintendo will of course do the same as usual…so Sony is going to be under a microscope if they can’t for that reporting quarter early next year.

PSN is not free.

it's not?  I've never used the service, but I thought you got all the functions for free...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

Just buy a Slim with a couple of games. That way you are really helping Sony. It sounds like you really want to help them so much. It would be a shame not to. Buy a Bravia TV too. Every little helps.

PSN - hanafuda

heruamon said:
tibisor said:
heruamon said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
heruamon said:
The idea is to make it up on software sales...and DLC to keep Home PSN free.

Do you really think I don't know that's what they're hoping? Did you even read the OP (not counting the second paragraph that I just edited in)?

Yep...I was reinforcing what you posted, and amplifying it with the DLC as well.  Sony is treating the PS brand as a package, tying PSP and PS3 thru PSN.  At this moment, PSN is free, and adding more features at a cost that Sony has to de-fray thru some means.  I just didn’t recall you saying anything about DLC before, so harm dude.  I don’t know what kinda cost modeling Sony has been doing, but we will see the results in the spring qtr.  With the launch of a Halo game, M$ EDD will mostly likely post a profit, and Nintendo will of course do the same as usual…so Sony is going to be under a microscope if they can’t for that reporting quarter early next year.

PSN is not free.

it's not?  I've never used the service, but I thought you got all the functions for free...

It is Free tib doesn't know what hes talking about.

^- Exactly, Gaming online is FREE for ALL, which is the main part that matters the most. unlike...

LordTheNightKnight said:
Serious_frusting said:
I think the increased software should take care of that ;)

Where are reports of those?

And so what? They lost over $3 billion from relying on software before. Relying on it still is part of the bad idea I mentioned.

No, you are very wrong. They didn't rely on SW at all. They knew they'd take a huge hit initially. They were relying on not needing to drop the price right away. They were losing about 300 dollars per system at the begining. That would mean if they were relying on SW then the average user would need to buy like 11 first party titles to make up the loss.

There is also a huge difference between losing 300 like at the begining and taking a slight loss right now. Kaz even said with SW and periphrials they are profitable. And the way he worded could mean just the PS3 SW and periphs.

Around the Network
Smashchu2 said:
theprof00 said:
Smashchu2 said:
Gilgamesh said:

Sony says the Playstation brand itself is profitable so that's all that matters.

I doubt that. On the console front, Sony doesn't have a lot of revenue avenues besides hardware sales. The PSP could met the difference, but I doubt it's making enough money to level out the PS3's losses.

wrong

Oh wow, my world has been flipped upside down. I know see the light. Sony must be profitable because you said I was wrong (despite not a lick of evidence to support your claim). You have changed my life. Thank You!

...but you were wrong.

Another thing the OP forgets is they just moved to another chip set. Overtime the cost of these chips will decrease. I'm sure by this time next year the Ps3 will be breaking even without any changes. Just the production costs lowering.

Another thing that will help the Ps3 become profitable is when the Yen gets back to where it should be. AKA 120 Yen per Dollar instead of the 93 Yen per Dollar it's at right now.

Gilgamesh said:

Sony says the Playstation brand itself is profitable so that's all that matters.

Yeah, because large corporations always offer honest and sober assessments of their profits and are never guilty of hype, equivocation, or manipulation of facts.

pterodactyl said:
Gilgamesh said:

Yeah, because large corporations always offer honest and sober assessments of their profits and are never guilty of hype, equivocation, or manipulation of facts.

I expect a loss this quarter and after that profits from then on out. SW sales during the holidays will mask the HW loss and by then the production cost of the slim will be lowered most likely.