By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I sincerely hope Sony didn't lose too much money on the PS3 Slim launch.

No, this is not a bash at Sony. They've admitted the system still isn't profitable, which means they still lose money with each system. I doubt it's anywhere near the $250/$300 (depending on which SKU) from the beginning, but even if it's as little as $10 (just a guess), that means $5,000,000 lost this week (which may even be worse after taking the dollar-yen exchange rate into account).

The point here is that SONY ALREADY LOST $3 BILLION SELLING THE SYSTEM AT A LOSS AND HOPING SOFTWARE SALES WILL MAKE UP FOR IT, AND THEY ARE STILL RELYING ON THAT STRATEGY. IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA TO KEEP DOING THAT.

I'm really not trying to knock on Sony. I was actually thinking I might get a PS3 when I can afford it.* But knowing they still lose money if I bought it right now doesn't make me feel as though I would be supporting Sony. It would just be me supporting SCE continuing this loss strategy after it's been shown how bad an idea it is this generation.

I really hope it gets profitable soon. I really do.

* Yeah, my brother has a 360, but he just brings it over once in a while. And there are some games I'd like that are on both (FF XIII, Saints Row 2), and Insomniac's games are on the system, and they are one of my personal top developers. Blu-ray doesn't interest me unless there is a program to take screencaps. Then I might rent some.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Yeah well that was Sony's own fault to lose money on the ps3. Also there still making money on the whole ps brand.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

I think the increased software should take care of that ;)

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Serious_frusting said:
I think the increased software should take care of that ;)

Where are reports of those?

And so what? They lost over $3 billion from relying on software before. Relying on it still is part of the bad idea I mentioned.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Sony says the Playstation brand itself is profitable so that's all that matters.

Around the Network

I'm guessing that one game and one controller makes the ps3 slim profitable.

The strategy is long term. With more than 6 games per console sold, the ps3 slim is easily profitable, and very much so.

Damn it, teh PS3 is Doomz.
We should start a campaign: do not buy PS3 - save Sony.

"With more than 6 games per console sold"

How do you know this? Is there a link?

And even if that's just going off the PS3's attach rate, you're forgetting a game has to use its revenue for its own profit as well, and the full cost of the game does not just go to all that. So the actual money counting as against the PS3's loss isn't that much for a game.

well the is a thread saying that PS3 multiplats have surged past the 360's version sales wise. It has a link and everything

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Gilgamesh said:

Sony says the Playstation brand itself is profitable so that's all that matters.

I doubt that. On the console front, Sony doesn't have a lot of revenue avenues besides hardware sales. The PSP could met the difference, but I doubt it's making enough money to level out the PS3's losses.