By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I sincerely hope Sony didn't lose too much money on the PS3 Slim launch.

has eveyone forgot they are still selling a fair amount of ps2's that is definatley profitable business, and just think even if they are losing a samll amount on each ps3 sold it is still better than losing all the money they have pumped into ps3 so far, things will work out just like they worked out for the ps2, and trust me all the psn purchases make money for them as well not just games, and they have the blu-ray format which is selling well, so sony will come through.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network

"things will work out just like they worked out for the ps2"

No, Sony did not lose $3 billion before the PS2 took off. Claiming it's going to turn out like the PS2 is already impossible. The system may not every make that loss back.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

No they did not, but they were not doing very well when the ps2 was out for it's first couple of years, although saying that the ps2 did not have to survive an economic recession.
They probably wont make that money back anytime soon i am betting, but still at least we all know that the ps3 is reliable, unlike unamed consoles still paying out of their ear for unamed faults...
Do I need to say more.
Seriously I can hear all the fans crying over the fact ps3 slim sold so many units, they all wanted it to fail badly, well guess what it didn't end of story.

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

yay more discounts for me mean i buy more games for my ps3, i already got uncharted 2 on pre-order now I can afford more

PS VITA = LIFE

It's Sony's fault, if they can become 2nd or 1st this generation but they have a negative number for profits they have learned nothing. At the same time, the Wii is so profatible that Nintendo is attacked because with all the money they have now they don't drop the price...i hope that sony loses money on every slim sold, until they'll learn that you can't sell an hardware on loss for so many time.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Around the Network

Lord how do you know only the Playstation brand is making sony crumble?
How do you know if its not because of the global economy crisis??
How do you know if Michael Jackson is the cause of all this?
How do you know if i love you????

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

You do know that PlayStation is profitable from the whole brand now, right?
Coming from Sony themselves.

Buzzi, stop being a fanboy, Sony have had this plan for a while and now it's starting to work, what on earth makes you think sony have not learned from everything that has happened they adapted from 2007 i would say they have already realised what went wrong.
At what point did i attack the wii hmm let me think, hmm never i would quite gladly chose ps3 or wii over unamed consoles lol due to reliability

PS VITA = LIFE

Since there are no PS3 slim bundles yet, to my knowledge, I'm going to put out there that most PS3 slim purchasers are not going to purchase the system without even a single game -- which is probably all it takes to push the sale into profit-land for Sony.

I think that, unfortunately, their losses at this point are required to allow them to be viable going forward.

Sony was, and is, at a crossroads for their sales and future of the Playstation product line. Going into this, they had essentially 2 choices:

1) Drop the price to $299. Fantastic move for console/software sales, but hurts them in their wallet for some time. Hope that the positive aspects of this (increased sales) outweigh the losses, and woo developers into coming to the revived Playstation line.

2) Do not drop the price to $299, and keep it profitable. Wouldn't have sold as well at a $349 or $399 price point, as it's far outside any 'sweet spot'. More profitable for them in the short term, but may stymie developers from coming to the system.

It's kind of a 'darned if you do, darned if you don't' scenario. However, I applaud Sony for doing the balsy and smart move of finally pricing the Playstation at something people can afford. They've still screwed themselves over with 4 years of buffoonery, but they are at least making sure their loss is the gamer's gain, and I salute them for that

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.