By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I sincerely hope Sony didn't lose too much money on the PS3 Slim launch.

I think Sony is just on damage control right now. Put the PS3 in as many homes as possible and forget about profit. Only that way can the PS4 be a success.

Around the Network

You';re doing it wrong. Its more... and less. But I can't right now.

How did I get home....?

> but even if it's as little as $10 (just a guess), that means

$5,000,000 lost this week

--

For a company owning

$230,500,000,000 in assets, you're not talking about a big amount of money there.

Of course PS3 owners also buy software (games and Blu-Ray movies) and peripherals (including HDTVs and surround sound equipment). In fact PS3 owners on average buy more games than 360 gamers.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

LordTheNightKnight said:
theprof00 said:
What does it go into?

The entire funds for SCE, I would presume. R&D on a new system alone can take millions. Redesigning the PS3 itself didn't come free.

Still, this goes against your OP, where you were talking about the per-unit profit or loss. The profit that comes from controllers, other accessories and software licensing fees scales with the units sold, whereas R&D for the PS3 slim was a fixed cost.

Thus the more they sell the better because a profit that scales goes to cover fixed costs. Wasn't this the matter in your OP? The doubt that increased sales were actually a damage to their finances?

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Smashchu2 said:
Gilgamesh said:

Sony says the Playstation brand itself is profitable so that's all that matters.

I doubt that. On the console front, Sony doesn't have a lot of revenue avenues besides hardware sales. The PSP could met the difference, but I doubt it's making enough money to level out the PS3's losses.

There profiting off the PS2 aswell, and it's not just from hardware this is from hardware, software, peripherals, and services.

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
theprof00 said:
What does it go into?

The entire funds for SCE, I would presume. R&D on a new system alone can take millions. Redesigning the PS3 itself didn't come free.

Still, this goes against your OP, where you were talking about the per-unit profit or loss. The profit that comes from controllers, other accessories and software licensing fees scales with the units sold, whereas R&D for the PS3 slim was a fixed cost.

Thus the more they sell the better because a profit that scales goes to cover fixed costs. Wasn't this the matter in your OP? The doubt that increased sales were actually a damage to their finances?

No, it doesn't. It's to show why revenue from game sales aren't always enough to offset those losses. You have to remember what I was replying to.

MikeB, if I wrote it was just a guess, it was a guess. And that was a hopeful minimum guess at that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Well it didin't take long for certain som1 to find something bad about Ps3 slim.

I thought it would take at least 2 days but I was wrong.

Well I dunno if they would have dropped price just -50 and got new Slim model, it would have been enough for Sony to be back in fight.

Take my love, take my land..

Simulacrum said:
Well it didin't take long for certain som1 to find something bad about Ps3 slim.

I thought it would take at least 2 days but I was wrong.

Well I dunno if they would have dropped price just -50 and got new Slim model, it would have been enough for Sony to be back in fight.

I hope you don't mean me. I've actually defended the system in a few threads.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Lets just pretend the X BOX project hasn't netted Microsoft 10billion losses.

inverted3reality said:
Lets just pretend the X BOX project hasn't netted Microsoft 10billion losses.

Oh, just because I didn't mention it doesn't mean I'm ignoring that either. It's just their system has been profitable for a while (and if they're smart, the next one will be profitable from day one), and I was hoping Sony would follow suit, but I don't know if that will even happen by the end of next year.