By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If the 360 can't do graphics like the PS3, HOW can it do THIS?

Sweep said:
Aion said:
Yeah the 360 has graphics on par with ps3.

IMHO : "360 had graphics on par with PS3"

I think the tables are starting to turn, now that 3 rd party developpers are beginning to use the CELL to help the RSX

And while the Xenos is a bit superior to the RSX, I don't think it can't beat a CELL+RSX combo.

The only problem is that 3rd party games versions are build to match each other and can't use all the respective power of each console

Then how come most 3rd party games look worse on the PS3?

Are developers to blame?

Or Sony?

When you say "had" are you talking about the time before Killzone 2?

What about Forza 3? Won't that game raise the console graphics bar when it's released before Uncharted 2, at least for a time?

What multiplatform developers have succeeded on the PS3 in terms of graphical superiority? Any?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ithis said:
@ crumas2 - shouldn't you go and post all the above non-graphical stuff in one (or all preferably) of the 1 000 000 general Xbox360 vs PS3 (die MS, f2ck Sony) threads out there?

I posted it here because it's relevant to the question in the subject line, i.e. - why does the OP keep hearing that the 360 can't do graphics like the PS3 if it is capable of what is demonstrated by CryEngine 3.  I would rather just give a summary of why the OP keeps hearing that the 360 can't handle PS3 graphics instead of trying to argue why it is/isn't true.

In other words, I think my post gets to the heart of the matter, and more importantly, I hope it helps educate neutral readers so they won't buy into all the FUD that a handful of PS3 die-hards keep spreading.  On the other side, I do try and counteract rediculous PS3 is doomed, etc. posts when I can.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Sweep said:
Aion said:

I think the tables are starting to turn, now that 3 rd party developpers are beginning to use the CELL to help the RSX

And while the Xenos is a bit superior to the RSX, I don't think it can't beat a CELL+RSX combo.

The only problem is that 3rd party games versions are build to match each other and can't use all the respective power of each console

Then how come most 3rd party games look worse on the PS3? -> This is why I stated "developpers are beginning to use". We can consider that both versions of actual 3rd party games are now on par for the majority of them. Also remember that a game needs time to be done and the new tricks used for PS3 programming (edge tools) have not been used until recently.

Are developers to blame? -> Some 3rd party developers have done a very good job with PS3 (Rockstar, Infinity Ward, Rocksteady...) while other devs simply haven't

Or Sony? -> Yes : They released a though console to program without enough support for 3rd party devs, fortunately this is corrected now

When you say "had" are you talking about the time before Killzone 2? -> Not exactly : Kilzone 2 is a 1st party game, they developped a great engine (and consumed a lot of money to create it btw...). But they set a milestone and the tricks they've used will be shared with other devs, just like Naughty Dogs is doing with their code. We will have to wait for Alan Wake to see if X360 can match all the effects you find in KZ2 (particles, lightning etc...)

What about Forza 3? Won't that game raise the console graphics bar when it's released before Uncharted 2, at least for a time? -> Well do you mean that FZ3 has the best graphics among 360 games ? IMO, No. The graphics for Forza 3 are a bit better than GT5 Prologue ones (especially the backgrounds) good but not spectacular. BTW Uncharted 2 is released october the 24th (same week as FZ3).

What multiplatform developers have succeeded on the PS3 in terms of graphical superiority? Any? I think of Rocksteady with Batman AA, Infinity Ward with COD4 (PS3 as good as X360) D3 Publisher (Dark Sector) etc... But once again : Multiplatform development goal is to have both versions on par. Can you imagine a 3rd party dev taking the risk to have a blatant superior version ?

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Only Killzone 2 has really backed up the superior graphics argument, and that game was vastly expensive and time consuming, and no undertaking of that magnitude created on a new engine has been attempted on the 360.

A bit off topic, but I do wish people would stop saying this. Killzone 2 took 3.5 years to make, only 2 of which were full production, and cost a lot less than many other AAA titles this gen. This is hardly 'vastly expensive and time consuming' - it's about average for an AAA game.

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/killzone-2-live-qa-2-with-guerrilla-games/

Sweep said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Sweep said:
Aion said:

What multiplatform developers have succeeded on the PS3 in terms of graphical superiority? Any? I think of Rocksteady with Batman AA, Infinity Ward with COD4 (PS3 as good as X360) D3 Publisher (Dark Sector) etc... But once again : Multiplatform development goal is to have both versions on par. Can you imagine a 3rd party dev taking the risk to have a blatant superior version ?

You mean like they do, nearly everytime they release a multiplat that is superior on the Xbox 360? Oh, I can imagine 3rd parties taking the risk to have a blatantly superior version. Look at the DLC for AA, or look at every other multiplat on the PS3.

I asked if any multiplatform games had seen significant graphical superiority because of the PS3.

Certainly they have because of the PC and 360. That is clear.

Your original post implied that the 360 "had" graphics on par with the PS3, but now 3rd parties are starting to use teh cell, and 3rd party games will start to look better on the PS3.

Frankly, I haven't seen that happening. Have you? Or are you predicting the future? I think your original implication was off base, and if you want to defend something, then tell me how, exactly, you believe that multiplats, which almost always look better on the 360, are also being gimped by the 360? You said "beginning to use." ....in what game?

I mean, it's a little silly to assume that with every multiplat that is superior on the 360, any of the very few multiplats that are equal to the 360 version were gimped because of the 360. What a coincidence.

In reality, there have probably been many, many more games gimped ON THE 360, due to the difficulty of development on the PS3, than vice versa. That's using your very own logic, isn't it? Scrutinize me with your red writing of death.

Finally, Forza 3 look amazing. The PS3 probably has more graphical potential than the 360, but the difference is much slighter than originally assumed. BR is a far larger boon to PS3 superiority than is graphical capabilities.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
Black RL said:

Hi you all

I keep reading that this game is downgraded and this game is cutted and stuff like this. This isn't true for BOTH consoles, BOTH consoles are capable of doing amazing games. MOST multiplatform games are better in the 360 some are better in the PS3, that's all.

Speaking for the 360, if it can't do this and that how come it does this:

Fixed

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Those threads are fanboyism, pure and simple. They believe that any game on the 360 is inferior, and multiplats breed mediocrity, despite the fact that the best games this gen are multiplat, and Forza 3 compares to the top PS3 games in terms of graphics, as does Gears 2, to a lesser extent.

The whole argument revolves around BR, and it's the same argument PC fans made when consoles started getting multiplats.

Truth is, like PC fans, they're worried about the competition, and looking for a someone to blame their lackluster or equal multiplats on. The PS3 fanboy is of the absolute belief that the PS3's graphics are vastly superior to the Xbox 360s, and the only reason that doesn't show very often, is because developers are lazy, equal minded, and don't want to make the PS3 look too good.

Ironic, because most 360 games look better than most PS3 games. Only Killzone 2 has really backed up the superior graphics argument, and that game was vastly expensive and time consuming, and no undertaking of that magnitude created on a new engine has been attempted on the 360.

I agree with everything you say except the last part. The 360 has many games that had the same budget or higher then KZ2... and at least a couple of others are comming ( SC:C, Alan Wake to name 2 ).

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:

I agree with everything you say except the last part. The 360 has many games that had the same budget or higher then KZ2... and at least a couple of others are comming ( SC:C, Alan Wake to name 2 ).

I don't think that any game was as developmentally graphically focused as was KZ2, even Crysis, which had better graphics, but wasn't as singlemindedly focused on them as was Sony.

Sony needed a KZ2. They needed a game they could point to, to prove the PS3's graphical superiority, so they focused all their time and money into creating that game.

I don't think MS has ever had a game with the soul intent being to prove how good the graphics could get.

That's my opinion.

I made a mistake even posting in those threads, but I never thought that they would suck me back in time and again with even greater fanboy atrocities. Now I'm ashamed for having fought the good fight in them. :(

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Sweep said:
Aion said:

Then how come most 3rd party games look worse on the PS3?

Are developers to blame?

Or Sony?

When you say "had" are you talking about the time before Killzone 2?

What about Forza 3? Won't that game raise the console graphics bar when it's released before Uncharted 2, at least for a time?

What multiplatform developers have succeeded on the PS3 in terms of graphical superiority? Any?

im sorry but while most 3rd party gmaes do look better on xbox  you cant keep saying xbox has better graphics because blah blah blah is coming out,say some games that actually ARE out,because good looking games are coming out on ps3 as well.xbox has a larger userbase and so it would be resonable to concentrate on that format more.btw in cod4 the developer guy actually said "you can see we put our best people on ps3,it shows"

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

I think all this is bullshit.The 360 suffers the same prob as my favorite console of all time,the dreamcast.The developers dont want to invest a larger amount on it to create engines from scratch to take advantage of the console 100%.Another thing its that they hide behind its easy to program for so they dont want to spend years developing a AAA game and rush it.

And finally like the dreamcast they dont put in the artistic side of i and rely on the technical side of it while lets ps2/ps3 they struggle day and night just to make it more visually pleasing(artistically,which is what many people confuse for technical prowess.).

Natal and Sony's flashing Ice cream cone