By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - David Jaffe hates his customers. Does not want used game sales to continue

Smashchu2 said:

I now hate David Jaffe and wish him to die after reading this. Mr. Jaffe got into an argument with a fan of his games becuase the customer didn't agree with disgital distarabution future and that he supports used games. GASP. How does he. The conversation makes me both sad and angry. I hate how the "Game Industry" hates used games because they beleive it hurts their profits (it doesn't as the customer proves it) and want them either gone or for them to get a profit. Look, we get credit back if we don't like the game. It's good for us consumers who buy your junk in the first place. Why do we need to suffer for you?

Here is the blog post about it.

That blogger was very disrespectful towards developer David Jaffe. You should hate him instead of David.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Smashchu2 said:

I now hate David Jaffe and wish him to die after reading this. Mr. Jaffe got into an argument with a fan of his games becuase the customer didn't agree with disgital distarabution future and that he supports used games. GASP. How does he. The conversation makes me both sad and angry. I hate how the "Game Industry" hates used games because they beleive it hurts their profits (it doesn't as the customer proves it) and want them either gone or for them to get a profit. Look, we get credit back if we don't like the game. It's good for us consumers who buy your junk in the first place. Why do we need to suffer for you?

That blogger was very disrespectful towards developer David Jaffe. You should hate him instead of David.

Oh really?

Les: @djaffe What you say is a possibility. If it comes to pass then I may stop being a game consumer.

Les: If enough others do the same then Devs still lose.

Jaffe: if the main reason you game is to own a cd, then you prob should stop gaming, yes?

Jaffe claims to be cuistomer focused, but how can he when he says stuff like this. A customer tells him, to his face, that he doesn't want digital distrubution and will not buy games if it happens. Instead of seeing this as "Wait, customers don't what that. I better rethink this," he tells him to go away. Why am I made at him? This.

Gamestop should give a profit to developers on their used games, I mean they overcharge for them anyways! It's like someone earlier said, they give you 20 bucks for a game they sell for 55! This is ridiculous! A small profit from used games to the developers should keep them happy, and I don't think it's a bad thing. Remember people, more money for developers = better games for us.. and more of them too. Although, I do agree Jaffe was a dick to the blogger.

Munkeh111 said:
I hate used games to. There was a stat that with I think Burnout Paradise and Dead Space, twice as many people who bought it played it, and that is awful, because the developer is only getting half their deserved revenue. If some part of the used sale went back to the dev, I would be fine with it

This isn't dirrected to you, specifically, but a lot of people have said it.

What you and Jaffe have suggested is illigal under the law. Fist sale doctrine

Smashchu2 said:
Slimebeast said:
Smashchu2 said:

Oh really?

Les: @djaffe What you say is a possibility. If it comes to pass then I may stop being a game consumer.

Les: If enough others do the same then Devs still lose.

Jaffe: if the main reason you game is to own a cd, then you prob should stop gaming, yes?

Jaffe claims to be cuistomer focused, but how can he when he says stuff like this. A customer tells him, to his face, that he doesn't want digital distrubution and will not buy games if it happens. Instead of seeing this as "Wait, customers don't what that. I better rethink this," he tells him to go away. Why am I made at him? This.

Ah, right. Still, he make a good point. Why would you stop buying games because you don't own a disc? David Jaffe has a good reason for wanting gaming to be DD only- many people are enjoying his game without him receiving any money for it. This Les guy is basically saying "I want to buy used because then I have to give less money to the people that deserve it!"

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Cactus said:

No offense, but I think you totally misunderstood his stance on the issue. The thread title is false/misleading as well. Read Jaffe's posts in the Neogaf topic to get more of an idea of what he's trying to say.

Actually, I don't think he did misread it. I've read the NeoGAF thread, so I know full well how Jaffe's trying to cover himself in the mantle of being "pro-consumer" but "anti-corporation." His clarifications make it clear that he's either an idiot (quite possible) or he's lying to make himself look better (equally possible).

If I understand correctly, he's saying that the evil Gamestops of the world shouldn't be able to make such high profits off his work at resale, that they should be satisfied with the $5 margin that they get on new games (with next to zero price protection, mind you), but he's still okay with consumers reselling their games if they want. He obviously hasn't thought this through: if the real problem here is the evil reselling corporations costing him money, does he really think he'd be happier if Gamestop et. al. were cut out of the picture (meaning we consumers would pay less than just five dollars off for a new game)? Does it really strike him as a good thing if Gamestop were to suddenly reduce the price of their new games to more consumer-friendly levels, say, by buying your used game for $30 and reselling it for $35 instead of $55? He'd be okay with not getting a cut of that money, and with the fact that used games sales would increase dramatically?

I call bullshit.

He later says in that thread that he'd be okay if there was a legal moratorium on selling used games for the first one to three months after release. Awesome. What makes him think he has any right whatsoever to control my property (and remember, once I've bought a game, it's my property)? And how is this even remotely pro-consumer? The idea of selling your games is that the game was not good enough, from the consumer's perspective, so they're ditching it for something else. Jaffe would restrict this right, and he's deliberately picked an amount of time that would guarantee that you wouldn't recover much on your game at resale. I'd love to hear how this proposal is even remotely pro-consumer at all!

Kantor said:
Yeah, I think David Jaffe should die because he wants money from every sale of a game he spent loads of time and money developing. What an asshole!

David Jaffe has made his money when you, the consumer, buy his game. What happens after that is none of his fucking business. DVDs, books, cars, homes, jewelry, and every other consumer good in the world has to obey the simple rule that the manufacturer only gets his money at the first sale, and what happens after that in the used goods market has nothing to do with him. What makes Jaffe and co. so special that they get to reach into other people's pockets twice (or more) for the same product?

That said, wanting the guy to die is probably going overboard.

dbot said:
 I agree with Munkeh, I dislike used games as well. Very few publishers/developers are able to make profits this generation and every sale counts. Rentals/used games hurt the industry as a whole. 

For what it's worth, you're right about devs and publishers not making money, and needing to take every sale they can get.

Here's the thing: it's not my problem.

They made a business model in which they are unable to turn a profit despite record revenues. It's not my fault that they're starving in the garden of Eden: I (and hundreds of millions of other consumers worldwide) have already given them money. If they can't make do with what they have, they need to reconsider how they do business, not avariciously search for ways to defy the rules that have been in place for decades! It's not like it's impossible to operate under the modern environment: some companies are doing quite well, even VERY well. Jaffe comes out sounding like a whiner who either can't compete in the business environment, or a greedy SOB who wants more of our money. Either way, he gets no sympathy from me.

I dont have time to read everyone's response, but I think the best way to battle used games sales and keep customers happy would be to just lower the price of new games. Most people i know wait until games are 30 or under to by them, and they dont really care if its used, dd, or new. If new games were $20-30 people would probably abandon used games as there wouldn't be room to make much profit for retailers like gamestop because people wouldn't want to sell games to places for only a few dollars. Game developers shot themselves in the foot by having games priced so high. I dont ever seem to see games released as greatest hits for a good price, they just keep games high and if they dont sell they never seem to drop the price.

Although I think games are getting too expensive, especially in parts of Eu and in Aus, I still think it's kindof unfair Devs and Publishers get nothing from used game sales.

Also, I like Jaffe. He's not afraid to say what's on his mind, to give his opinion.

What I don't get is why you would wish him dead... over this??? Great... sure... Die Jaffe... One less developer around.... as if enough of them haven't already lost their jobs...

4 ≈ One

I hate the entire idea of used games. It takes revenue away from developers and publishers.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Why should the developer publisher get any money from a used game? The only reason the game is used is because somone wanted to get rid of it, because it failed, people don't sell the games they love, they sell that games that they don't care for, and as a result why should the devs get any money for making a subpar game

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)