By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - David Jaffe hates his customers. Does not want used game sales to continue

ssj12 said:
I hate the entire idea of used games. It takes revenue away from developers and publishers.

No it doesn't, they didn't earn that revenue or sales, if the game was worthy of those revenues people would only buy new, not used, because there would be no used copies of the games

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Smashchu2 said:
Slimebeast said:
Smashchu2 said:

I now hate David Jaffe and wish him to die after reading this. Mr. Jaffe got into an argument with a fan of his games becuase the customer didn't agree with disgital distarabution future and that he supports used games. GASP. How does he. The conversation makes me both sad and angry. I hate how the "Game Industry" hates used games because they beleive it hurts their profits (it doesn't as the customer proves it) and want them either gone or for them to get a profit. Look, we get credit back if we don't like the game. It's good for us consumers who buy your junk in the first place. Why do we need to suffer for you?

Here is the blog post about it.

That blogger was very disrespectful towards developer David Jaffe. You should hate him instead of David.

Oh really?

Les: @djaffe What you say is a possibility. If it comes to pass then I may stop being a game consumer.

Les: If enough others do the same then Devs still lose.

Jaffe: if the main reason you game is to own a cd, then you prob should stop gaming, yes?

Jaffe claims to be cuistomer focused, but how can he when he says stuff like this. A customer tells him, to his face, that he doesn't want digital distrubution and will not buy games if it happens. Instead of seeing this as "Wait, customers don't what that. I better rethink this," he tells him to go away. Why am I made at him? This.

That and the rest of the blog post is disrespectful to Jaffe.

I think some people think to highly of themselves. He's implying he represents the opinion of consumers and that Jaffe's conversation with him refers to Jaffe's opinion of all the consumers... but it's like saying an actor hates all his fans when they freaks out at a papaarattzi.

ssj12 said:
I hate the entire idea of used games. It takes revenue away from developers and publishers.

And gives it to people who contribute nothing to the product.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
ssj12 said:

No it doesn't, they didn't earn that revenue or sales, if the game was worthy of those revenues people would only buy new, not used, because there would be no used copies of the games

Not great logic. Let me give you an example. I remember reading an old news story where a man returned his copy of Final Fantasy 7, not because it was a bad game, but because he didn't know he'd have to do any reading. People could return games for all other sorts of reasons. Maybe they got suckered into the hype and just didn't like the game or its genre. Regardless of the reason, the developers shouldn't be punished for consumers.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
ssj12 said:

Actually it does.  The publishers have the biggest problem with the newer releases that sell used at Gamestop for $5 off the new copy.  These sales clearly undercut the sales that actually benefit the publisher/developer.  This is also extremely short-sighted of Gamestop because the publishers will find a way to end this.  Unfortunately the protections that are added will not be consumer friendly.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
ssj12 said:

Not great logic. Let me give you an example. I remember reading an old news story where a man returned his copy of Final Fantasy 7, not because it was a bad game, but because he didn't know he'd have to do any reading. People could return games for all other sorts of reasons. Maybe they got suckered into the hype and just didn't like the game or its genre. Regardless of the reason, the developers shouldn't be punished for consumers.

Actually they should, the fact that the consumer got suckered, or felt that the game had too much text, or whatever proves that the consumer was not satisfied with their experience, as a result the publisher hasn't earned any further revenue on the game

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

dbot said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
ssj12 said:

Actually it does.  The publishers have the biggest problem with the newer releases that sell used at Gamestop for $5 off the new copy.  These sales clearly undercut the sales that actually benefit the publisher/developer.  This is also extremely short-sighted of Gamestop because the publishers will find a way to end this.  Unfortunately the protections that are added will not be consumer friendly.

No, that'll just lead to more piracy or an industry crash, forcing things on paying consumers will just result in fewer paying consumers.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
ssj12 said:

Actually they should, the fact that the consumer got suckered, or felt that the game had too much text, or whatever proves that the consumer was not satisfied with their experience, as a result the publisher hasn't earned any further revenue on the game

Yeah, but how is that the developer's fault? The developer shouldn't be punished if someone dislikes a game for a stupid reason. And you were arguing that a game isn't "worthy" of the money, but I'm explaining how the game can be very good but still be returned.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
ssj12 said:

So basically used games = piracy for publishers. If a customer doesn't like a game, they can return it, take money away from the publisher, then the store can resell it used and not give the publosher money from the used game sale all because a customer was stupid and dint research their purchase before hand. I guess I am starting to believe my college textbooks that consumers = idiots.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

MontanaHatchet said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
ssj12 said:

Yeah, but how is that the developer's fault? The developer shouldn't be punished if someone dislikes a game for a stupid reason. And you were arguing that a game isn't "worthy" of the money, but I'm explaining how the game can be very good but still be returned.

Because for the consumer who returned the game it wasn't good, see quality is subjective, you may like modern god shock 5: Snakes vengeance, may think its the greatest game ever and GOTY, but another person may think its utter garbage, you may keep the game, but the other person will sell it, showing that for them it was not a good game, why should the dev et extra money for failing a consumer.  That's like a CEO getting a golden parachute after they drive their company to bankruptcy, you don't reward failure.