By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - David Jaffe hates his customers. Does not want used game sales to continue

I hate used games too. Cough up the extra $5 and get it new. If it's a great deal go for it, but don't give in to the rip-offs they try to pull, support the developers.

Around the Network

if games couldn't be sold used they would've less value to the customer, i.e. (on average) he would be less willing to pay full price for it

Yeah, I think David Jaffe should die because he wants money from every sale of a game he spent loads of time and money developing. What an asshole!

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Yeah, I think David Jaffe should die because he wants money from every sale of a game he spent loads of time and money developing. What an asshole!

Film and music artists don't seem to mind. Authors don't seem to have a problem with it. I can't think of any manufacturers that dislike it either.

Stupid 'industry' deserves to die.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Jaffe has a point, that guy was an a#@hole. I agree with Munkeh, I dislike used games as well. Very few publishers/developers are able to make profits this generation and every sale counts. Rentals/used games hurt the industry as a whole. The publishers are going to react quickly to protect their investments, and it will negatively impact all gamers. The only good that will come from it is people will have yet another opportunity to overuse the word draconian.

Don't be surprised if Modern Warfare 2 tests the waters in this regard. I wouldn't be surprised if it shipped with a one-time code to unlock its multiplayer.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network

I see both arguments as valid. I dont necessarily think gamestop should write the developer a check when they sell a used game but i think a used game from gamestop should be cheaper. I think this is what Jaffe is trying to say. If what he was saying is true and he is all for the consumer being able to sell their games. But gamestop makes it so much easier to sell used games and rip off the consumer and the developer at the same time. Heck you can trade a game in the day after release and get 20 bucks for it. Then gamestop sells it for 55. Then someone who doesnt have alot of money for a new game will pay the 55 over 60. every dollar or penny these days makes a difference to some people. So game stop im sure makes more profit off of a game then the dev does. i could be wrong im not sure about how the percentage of profits is broken down but if they buy a game from you for 20 then sell it for 55 they make like 160% or so profit from a game does a developer get 35 dollars a game profit? I dont know ? I agree with the unlock codes for certain things Maybe they should just make it so that if a used game is sold an unlock code for the extra features can be bought from the dev for like 5 bucks or something.

Hooray for used games!

If someone is dumb enough to let go of a great game and at a cheaper price its mine. If not I'd just go to Ebay or a garage sale or a games trade event here. Welcome to capitalism and free market.

As for publishers complaining....Good riddance, most publishers don't give developers there cut of profit (activision making BILLIONS while Red Octane got zip) So game developers are literally trapped under publishers to hand them out scraps.

Pyro as Bill said:
Kantor said:

Film and music artists don't seem to mind. Authors don't seem to have a problem with it. I can't think of any manufacturers that dislike it either.

Yeah, you sure haven't seen the music industry moving towards a digital distribution model or anything. Grow up, Jaffe!

badgenome said:
Pyro as Bill said:
Kantor said:

Yeah, you sure haven't seen the music industry moving towards a digital distribution model or anything. Grow up, Jaffe!

Well the music industry didnt really ""try"" anything digital distrubution for a few years until Apple got some sense and actually did it for them.

Much like the music industry, the game industry rather waste resources on DRM protection, then jump up and down complaining about everyone else then hope someone else figures it out (*cough* IPHONE DISTRUBUTION 70% CUT FOR DEVELOPERS *cough*) 

axumblade said:
badgenome said:
yea i hope he dies 2 after reedin that got me so mad

OMG RLY?!

@deathgod33, What games are $60 online? Most expensive I can think of was when SoCom and Warhawk were $39.99...

The sky is the limit once digital becomes the norm.