By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - David Jaffe hates his customers. Does not want used game sales to continue

Gnizmo said:
I value you a McDonald's meal at about $5. I do not value the dump I take later at $5, but would still pay $5 for another meal. I am not any less satisfied with my purchase. I have consumed it. There is a difference.

And you addressed my math by admitting I was right. There would only be X number of games that could ever be sold. This means there is a cap on the industry, and it will die. You can say it won't happen for X number of years, but that is irrelevant. It is in the publishers best interest to make you want to buy his next game. So in addressing my point you have conceded I am correct. I did not expect both.

Your continuous usage of digestion as an attempt at analogy only shows how little you comprehend the concepts being discussed in this thread.

No I actually showed that I am right, you see, even today after nearly 30 years the makret hasn't even rached half of that 120 billion mark, by the time it does reach even half that, the world's population will be closer to 12 billion and by then many of the world's population which currently are too poor to afford gaming as a hobby will be much richer, as a result the population of gamers will probably be closer to 2 billion, at which point the maximum numbers of games will be 240 billion at minimum, and that's not even counting the number of people who were gamers but died in the intervening years, the number of games sold would never reach the barrier that you thinik it will, population growth would always outstrip it, so I'm afraid the math continues to prove my point, infinite replayability will never threaten the games industry.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Your continuous usage of digestion as an attempt at analogy only shows how little you comprehend the concepts being discussed in this thread.

No, it highlights your inability to undertsand a simple analogy. Once I have eatten the food I no longer have interest in what is left. Similarly, once I have beaten a game I have no interest in what is left. Same applies for most movies and books. It wasn't that hard to follow. This does not mean I am not satisfied with the purchase. It means I am simply done with the goods I recieved.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

No, it highlights your inability to undertsand a simple analogy. Once I have eatten the food I no longer have interest in what is left. Similarly, once I have beaten a game I have no interest in what is left. Same applies for most movies and books. It wasn't that hard to follow. This does not mean I am not satisfied with the purchase. It means I am simply done with the goods I recieved.

No it highlights your lack of comprehension, food is not a similar good to a video game, a video game is a much more durable good, food is not, you can keep a game for a few decades and its still the same, try keeping a sandwich out for a few decades and tell me if its still the same, lol, food is also meant to be consumed, so the act of digestion and excretion is not like selling a game after you're done with it, as digestion and excretion are inherent parts of how food is supposed to be used, selling a game is not an inherent part of owning the game, you can choose to not sell the game, you can't choose for your body not to digest the food once you have eaten it, its going to, and if your try to prevent it from being excreted, well your body will suffer badly for the attempt, on the other hand choosing not to sell the game will not cause you any harm.  So its clear you just dont get the issue being discussed.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Stupid developers need to make games with replay value instead of sub B-movie storylines that no one should have to suffer more than once.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I knew better than this when I started debating with you. This will go no where, so I will not add much. It is useless to talk to someone who has no interest in actually seeing a different point of view. The digestion is playing the game. The excrement is the game I have beaten, and no longer have a use for. Selling it is getting something extra for a good I have consumed. This is the same as the used movie ticket, and a book after being read. Stop, think about that, and then try to come up with something to actually add to the discussion.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
I knew better than this when I started debating with you. This will go no where, so I will not add much. It is useless to talk to someone who has no interest in actually seeing a different point of view. The digestion is playing the game. The excrement is the game I have beaten, and no longer have a use for. Selling it is getting something extra for a good I have consumed. This is the same as the used movie ticket, and a book after being read. Stop, think about that, and then try to come up with something to actually add to the discussion.

No sorry, doesn't work that way, see a game doesn't have to be unusuable after you've played through once, like i've been trying to point out to you food and digestions and excretion are not comparable to buying a game playing it and selling it.  Since the whole purpose of food is to eat it, digest it and excrete the waste product, but with a game, it doesn't have to be unusable after its played through and you don't have to sell it, a particulary good game is replayable many times, and can be held for very long periods of time giving the same experience, food cannot ddo this.  Same with a movie ticket a movie ticket is unusuable after the movie is over, a book is more like a game, a book can be rered and can be held for long periods of time, you don;t have to sell your books, many books are never sold and many are reread.  See a book can be compared to a game in that way, food and a movie ticket to a movie that has already been shown is very different and that is why your comparision of food and digestion and excretion to game ownership is flawed.